View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pasoa2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:33 pm    Post subject: KDE 3 Alpha Reply with quote

If I choose to unmask KDE 3 alpha from the package.mask file, and emerge kde, will it install 1) in addidtion to 3.0.2 or 2) overwrite the files? If it default to overwriting the files - is there a way to change this? I want to try the alpha, but don't wanna be left without a working kde... Thanks!
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will not overite any file...
I already use alfa and is very nice

MACPRO machine...
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make sure you won't overwrite kde 3.0.2 installation, you need to comment out the line KDE3DIR="/usr/kde/3" in /etc/make.globals (this is mentioned in 3.1alpha1 announcment).

That way it'll install 3.1alpha1 along side 3.0.2 (in different dir) and you'll get different logins options in kdm for each of them.
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mksoft wrote:
To make sure you won't overwrite kde 3.0.2 installation, you need to comment out the line KDE3DIR="/usr/kde/3" in /etc/make.globals (this is mentioned in 3.1alpha1 announcment).

That way it'll install 3.1alpha1 along side 3.0.2 (in different dir) and you'll get different logins options in kdm for each of them.

Ops, i forgot to tell him about it :roll:

MACPRO machine...
Pasoa2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's everyone's opinion on kde 3.1? To be honest with you I've always thought that KDE is probably the best looking Desktop out there. I know there are a lot of Gnome fanatics - and I'll be honest, I've tried Gnome. I emerged Gnome 2.0 and played around with it, and honestly, it was ugly. The buttons were ugly, the fonts were ugly (I had anti alias on), and everything seemed like a mish mash of programs tacked together. KDE always seemed more uniform, which is what I think we should want from a desktop. Konqueror is by far the best browser ( at least for me, fonts are AWESOME, better than windows actually with Xft hack). And it's only getting better! And to anyone that says it's ugly, could you explain why? I mean go over to kde-look.org and take a look at some screenshots. And Keramik is finally an original, nice looking theme that's not a direct rip off from aqua, which seems to be a very common thing these days. Any KDE users and Gnome users wanna share their feelings?
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pasoa2000 wrote:
What's everyone's opinion on kde 3.1? To be honest with you I've always thought that KDE is probably the best looking Desktop out there. I know there are a lot of Gnome fanatics - and I'll be honest, I've tried Gnome. I emerged Gnome 2.0 and played around with it, and honestly, it was ugly. The buttons were ugly, the fonts were ugly (I had anti alias on), and everything seemed like a mish mash of programs tacked together. KDE always seemed more uniform, which is what I think we should want from a desktop. Konqueror is by far the best browser ( at least for me, fonts are AWESOME, better than windows actually with Xft hack). And it's only getting better! And to anyone that says it's ugly, could you explain why? I mean go over to kde-look.org and take a look at some screenshots. And Keramik is finally an original, nice looking theme that's not a direct rip off from aqua, which seems to be a very common thing these days. Any KDE users and Gnome users wanna share their feelings?

I agree with for the most parts. And with each release we're getting more eye candy (try the kremaik style with semi-transparent menus and menu shadows enabled - it looks great). I use Gnome on and off but I always return to KDE, both in terms of look and functionality.

I really like the uniformity of KDE apps.
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pasoa2000 wrote:

I agree 100% procents with you ( don't tell Autobot :-) )

MACPRO machine...
bar4ka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mksoft wrote:
... eye candy (try the kremaik style with semi-transparent menus and menu shadows enabled - it looks great). I use ...

I am using KDE 3.1 alpha with transparent menus and keramik style but i cant find how to enabled menu shadows. Where do i go to enabled it ?
Pasoa2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that may depend on when you emerged kde - from what I understand the original e-builds did not include the drop shadows (which are NOT in the alpha release from kde) - but the ebuild's now are patched with CVS code.

I'm glad people are agreeing with me - On slashdot and quite a few other sites, I keep on hearing how wonderfull gnome is and how great it looks and how ugly and sucky KDE is. And I've never understood why - I mean I've seen some great screenshots of gnome desktops, but I've never been able to figure out how to get mine to look as nice as those. And I've been using Linux since 1997 :-)

KDE on the other hand - My desktop right now looks fantasitc IMO - with some great icons from kde-look, a nice wallpaper, a small but functional launcher panel in the middle of the bottom, and the external taskbar on the top of the screen. all this with really great anti aliased fonts.

The Kontrol center rules - it's organized well and I can find anything I want to change about KDE within a 1/2 a minute or so. Not so w/ Gnome - 1-2 minutes if I even figure out how to do it at all.

Well enough ranting.
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bar4ka wrote:
I am using KDE 3.1 alpha with transparent menus and keramik style but i cant find how to enabled menu shadows. Where do i go to enabled it ?

Like Pasoa2000 said, If you've emerged 3.1alpha1 with the patches, you should find the checkbox in:
Control Centrer | Style, Choose the effects tabs. The checkbox is named Menu drop shadow.

If you don't have it, I think the emerging kdelibs again should be enough (at least in theory).
anil_et
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:38 am    Post subject: emerge kde3.1a Reply with quote

Hi,
Every one is talking about kde3.1a
Even I wanted to try it but can't find an ebuild
Can some one explain how to merge kde3.1a
Anil
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: emerge kde3.1a Reply with quote

anil_et wrote:
Hi,
Every one is talking about kde3.1a
Even I wanted to try it but can't find an ebuild
Can some one explain how to merge kde3.1a
Anil

This version is masked, so that users will get the stable version (3.0.2) by default.

You'll need to unmask it (comment out kde 3.1 ebuilds in /usr/portage/profile/package.mask).

You might also comment out KDE3_DIR in /etc/make.globals. If you do this, you can run 3.0.2/3.1alpah1 together as they'll be installed in different dirs.

Remeber to unmask kde 3.1 from package.mask after each rsync as this file gets overwritten by it.
swat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: emerge kde3.1a Reply with quote

Hmm - I've been tempted to try out kde3.1a - but i'm worried about it being unstable - Anyone got any feedback on it stability wise???

swat
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: emerge kde3.1a Reply with quote

swat wrote:
Hmm - I've been tempted to try out kde3.1a - but i'm worried about it being unstable - Anyone got any feedback on it stability wise???

I can only speack for myself, but I find 3.1a quite stable (except minor problems - like ctrl+q sometimes not working in konqeror).

I've used kde3.1 from cvs code up to 2 months ago (on my LinuxFromScratch partition), and it was useable even then.

I'm pleased with 3.1a1, but since it is alpha YMMV.
Pasoa2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you unmerge kde 3.0.2 first prior to merging kde3.1? Because as of yesterday I got kde-base/libs compiled and decided to give it a quick look. However while I I liked what I saw, I also noticed that some thing weres messed up - like in the introduction "wizard", when you choose your country each country is listed twice. Also, in my K menu, most applications are listed twice?

On top of that konqueror segfaults - so I was wondering if you've got a side by side or a single install?
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you removed KDE3_DIR from make.globals before emerging 3.1alpha ? If not such problems may arise.

As for the wizard showing up on startup, the ebuild sets the .kde as symlink to .kde3.1, and for me it copied everthing from .kde3. Maybe this process was messed up at your machine ?

By looking at startkde script you can see what I mean:
Code:
cd ~
[ -d .kde ] && mv .kde .kde.backup
if [ ! -e .kde3.1 ]; then
    if [ -e .kde3 ]; then
        cp -r .kde3 .kde3.1
    else
        mkdir .kde3.1
    fi
fi
ln -sf .kde3.1 .kde

To check if this is the case create new user, and login to kde with that user/pass. konqueror segfaults for him :?: What about double menu entries :?:
Spark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will quickly step in to note that optics are completely a matter of preference. I loved KDE 2.2 with liquid for a while, until this got old. I don't like Keramik at all, it doesn't look very clean. I prefer the more "solid" appearance of Gtk widgets and Metacity is also nice, easy to theme. :)
The default appearance of Gtk 2 is IMO also much nicer than default KDE but I can understand that people more interested in eye candy will probably not like the Gtk 2 default look. And something as fancy as Liquid (transparent menus, drop shadow, etc) is indeed missing. Not everybody wants that though. Everyone else about KDE isn't visually stunning at all.

As for integrity, I disagree that my goal should be to have all apps look the same. Actually that was the thing that always pissed me about Windows. No joke. :) I like though that I can have a desktop only on Gtk, that's the kind of integrity I'm looking for. With KDE I would try to use only KDE applications but that's a problem for me because most of my fav apps are Gtk anyway (Galeon, Evolution and Gimp are applications which I wouldn't know replacements for yet).

See... If you were annoyed by slashdot people talking bad about KDE, why do you the same now. That's not very logical. When I tried KDE 3.1 Alpha a few days ago, I wondered what people still like about it but I realised, that other people will ask theirself the same about Gnome.
And that is fine with me, KDE is a nice thing and if it works for you than this is great. It doesn't work for me though. And I will now continue my work on a new Metacity theme that will blow Keramik out of the water btw. ;)
Martin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real downside of KDE (IMO) is the Qt license. :cry:
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin wrote:
The only real downside of KDE (IMO) is the Qt license. :cry:

Why is that :?: you have it GPL'ed.
Erukian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's get straight to it. I use Gnome2. I love gnome. I think KDE has a windows/kiddy feel like some soft of hybrid of windows95 and OSX.

Gnome2 has a very flexible desktop. Nautilus 2.0.1 rules because it loads faster than the "my computer" in winxp and its entirely optional to run to in case you dont like GUI file browsers. Galeon rules because its lightweight and uses Mozilla's engine unlike konq so almost every page you visit is rendered correctly. I've seen too many pages messed up by konq to like it. The only thing it has going for itself is its speed. But its a Windows GUI copy. Just like you can browse the net, your network/hard drives in IE, Konq does the same thing. Gnome2 is very lightweight and (linux word here here) modular. It's considerably less bloated than Gnome1.4 and that's a good way to go instead of more and more bloated like KDE keeps getting.

The professional feel of Gnome gets to me though, and I like it. KDE feels like a cheap copy of Windows 95 with some stardock apps running. I'm not sorry for saying this but this is 100% from my perspective so its all a matter of opinion.

I don't want my linux desktop to feel like windows. Just because it feels like windows doesnt mean its a better setup and Gnome's sucks. It means their different from eachother and its a complete matter of preference. I didn't move to Linux because it was free, I moved because I wanted to get away from Windows in every way (except running some games in wine:)

What im trying to say is dont bash gnome or any other desktop that other people chose. Were not here to start a holy war between KDE/Gnome, this is a gentoo fourm.
reverius42
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:27 am    Post subject: oh no! car analogy! Reply with quote

Pasoa2000 wrote:
And to anyone that says it's ugly, could you explain why? I mean go over to kde-look.org and take a look at some screenshots. And Keramik is finally an original, nice looking theme that's not a direct rip off from aqua, which seems to be a very common thing these days. Any KDE users and Gnome users wanna share their feelings?

Well... a car analogy is in order :P

KDE is like a Honda Accord. It's been around for a while in various implementations, stays very uniform, is very plain, and works very reliably. Tons of people use it. (You can substitute Toyota Camry for Honda Accord if you want).

Gnome is like a Buick Roadmaster. It's a giant beast of a desktop environment... with a lot of power, and a lot of momentum. SOME people like how it looks... well, maybe a few.

Other window managers are for the people that don't want to drive a sedan (or at least not a normal one).

WindowMaker is the luxury sedan... the Lexus/Acura/Infiniti of desktop environments. It's not quite as boring as Gnome/KDE, and can be spruced up a lot. It's got a lot more of that intangible "soul" quality.

IceWM is a small Japanese pickup truck (Nissan or Mazda, maybe Toyota)... it's small and efficient, it gets the job done, it has ZERO looks going for it.

Fluxbox/Blackbox is like the econo-sports car (Nissan 240sx, Toyota Celica) that gets great mileage, is small and zippy, and people say "wow" when they look at it, but forget it a minute later.

Enlightenment is an Aston-Martin. It's $280 grand (more than most houses), has more power under the hood than a SEMI TRUCK, and looks abso-friggin-lutely amazing! Don't run it on a 486 (although the same could be easily said for Gnome/KDE/WindowMaker).

Guess which one I use? :)
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qt license is GPL man, I don't see what's wrong with that.
People used the Qt license argument for a while, and it seems they didn't make as much noise when they did it GPL.

I think the diff between Gnome and KDE is more spiritual, it's more like C against C++. IMO.
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, here we go again :( dreaded X is better than Y all over again...
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I've never said which one I prefer...
Don't want to go in this kind of discussion...

By the way, I started a new project, and to avoid this kind of war between the environment, I wrote a library in pure c++, using only libxml2 as an external lib. Basicaly, it's my document.
And I wrote 2 clients, one based on QT, and another one for a terminal. Those are my views. Then, if ssomeone want it on Gnome, it just have to write the UI ;-)

I will post more when I will have put something in cvs, so far there is almost nothing to show...
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fmalabre wrote:
But I've never said which one I prefer...
Don't want to go in this kind of discussion...

This wasn't about you, about the genreal direction the thread has taken...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: