IBook G3 Will Not Boot From CD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
122jdh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: IBook G3 Will Not Boot From CD Reply with quote

I've been trying for days now to get a linux on my IBook G3:
600 MHz PPC 750FX (G3) CPU 512k level 2 cache
256 MB RAM (Original 128MB)
20 GB HDD
LG CD-ROM CRN-8245B
2X AGP ATI Mobility Radeon 16 MB of VRAM

I was using a CD-RW but I now have CD-Rs. I am burning the ISO at x8 the lowest my drive can write CD-Rs. I have the following burning software: Cyblerlink Power2Go 8, IMGburn, Nero and InfraRecorder. I burnt one at x2 with an older drive still get the same problem tho: When holding "C" to boot from the CD, the drive spins loudly like its reading, but then slows down. If I listen I can here the CD spin. The IBook will go to a gray screen for a while flicker to a black screen for less than a second, followed by the globe icon and finally the flashing folder/question mark, before booting the OS on the HDD. I go into Open Firmware and try these commands: "boot cd,\\tbxi" and "boot cd,\install\yaboot" but always end up with these errors; when my Ethernet cord is not plugged in: "can't open: enet:bootp" and when it is plugged in: "BOOTP/BSDP failed: no filename specified can't OPEN: enet:bootp" and when using my CD-RW: "block0 is bad can't open". And when I try and put it on the HDD and boot with either "boot hd:0,yaboot" or "boot hd:0,\\tbxi" I get this error: "DISK-LABEL: LOAD (NONINTERPOSED) not supportedload-size=0 adler32=1 LOAD-SIZE is too small". I have not reset NVRAM or PRAM (No idea what these are configured at, so Id rather not change them unless i really have to)

Does anyone have any experience with this?
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to view the contents of the CD in OSX. If you can't see the files on the CD in OSX, it won't work to boot. If at all possible, try to burn on another type of CD-R (perhaps with an older or slower CD-R drive). If this model has Firewire, you can set up the HD over FW in target disk mode.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: