eth0 works while /etc/init.d/net.eth0 doesn't exist
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerard.r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: eth0 works while /etc/init.d/net.eth0 doesn't exist Reply with quote

Hello,
I've just installed Gentoo on a computer with a broken SiS Ethernet controller (which is a part of the motherboard so I cannot remove it) and a additional Realtek 8139/8139C/8139C+ Ethernet controller (most standard Ethernet controller, the kernel module is 8139cp or 8139too, the two have been compiled in my kernel).
I followed the instructions of the Gentoo handbook to configure the ethernet connection but it doesn't work :
- create the links /etc/init.d/net.eth0 and /etc/init.d/net.eth1 (because I don't know how to predict which network interface will be associated with the broken card) to /etc/init.d/net.lo
- rc-update these services with the default runlevel
- edit /etc/conf.d/net : config_eth0="dhcp", config_eth1="dhcp"
- emerge dhcpcd and adding it to the default runlevel
- I think that's all

When I tried to manually start net.eth0 (eth1 was associated with the broken one), RC failed not recognizing the controller while 8139cp and 8139too were both loaded.

I tried several things and I eventually decided to remove the /etc/init.d/net.eth0 and /etc/init.d/net.eth1 links and reboot. And it worked!
ifconfig outputs 3 network interfaces : lo, eth0 (the functionnal ethernet controller) and eth1 (the broken one).
net.eth0 and net.eth1 don't exist anymore to rc-update but... so... who loaded eth0 and eth1 ?

I should be happy that it works now but as I have no idea about how it works it's not really better...

Thank you

gerard
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume from your comments you want to know why it is working?

I can't give you a specific answer, but here are some ideas:
  • Has it been configured to come up while booting? Have you modified /etc/rc.conf? It is not allowed by default, but can be configured to work.
  • Is there any clue in /var/log/messages
  • Does dmesg give you any clues?

I am sure someone will be along soon with a deeper understanding than I have, but this might help you find out for yourself (these are the things I would start to check if I had the same problem).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: