View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On skimming this thread again, I get the impression that there's one commonality to all your failures to boot Linux: GRUB 2. It could be that GRUB 2 just doesn't get along with your computer. Thus, I recommend you try removing it from the equation -- use the EFI stub loader, ELILO, or Fedora's patched GRUB Legacy to boot your kernel. Unfortunately, this may be tricky to do with an installation disc, since most of them seem to use GRUB 2. It's easier to modify an installation on a USB flash drive, provided it hasn't been mastered in a way that's too weird. (Sadly, many are mastered in such a way.) The combination of rEFInd installed to your hard disk, rEFInd's ISO-9660 driver, and an EFI shell can help a lot, though. With that combination you can drop to a shell and launch 3.3.0 and later kernels on an optical disc or USB flash drive using whatever command-line options you care to type.
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't read that you had tried rEFInd and efistub kernels. Worked great for me. The Rodsbooks web pages will see you through that. I haven't gotten Win7 booting from the rEFInd menu, but there's other reasons for that.

Oh, and I had to use the newest Archlinux live CD to get an EFI boot to work from.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Samsung m.2 NVME pcie-3.0
Etc....
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bammbamm808 wrote:
Didn't read that you had tried rEFInd and efistub kernels.

I understand it is a long thread, but it is definitely in there.

bammbamm808 wrote:

Oh, and I had to use the newest Archlinux live CD to get an EFI boot to work from.

Doesn't work: "No boot loader found", then it just loads windows 8.

You had my hopes up there for a minute, because this is the real roadblock for me. I need to get this system booted with a UEFI disk before I can even TRY any of these suggestions... And... that live cd (or usb stick) will have to have the drivers for my ethernet chip...
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talk to the responsive people at the manufacturer and seller and read the manual about overcoming/disabling secureboot. Also about shrinking the windows 8 partition from windxows 8. also about a windows 8 recovery/install dvd. to get specific help here with the current problems you would need the good luck of finding an owner of the twin of your laptop. Some laptop makers run forums.
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they don't support linux. But you are right, the forums there are worth a shot... but I won't be holding my breath. I have disabled secure boot, so unless there is a bug in the bios, that isn't the issue.

As I stated earlier, that last time I tried a windows recovery, from the DVDs that are made from their recovery software, it bombed-out. When I called MSI, they said it was a hardware issue. Maybe... But I doubt it. I think their recovery disks are flawed, and I don't want to get stuck again. It took over 3 weeks to get the laptop back, when in all likelihood, it probably wasn't broken in the first place. So my faith in the recovery media is understandably shaken, and now I am all but paralyzed.

I'm not sure what you are getting at, however, when you say:

Quote:
Also about shrinking the windows 8 partition from windxows 8.

So maybe you can elaborate?

re:
Quote:
also about a windows 8 recovery/install dvd. to get specific help here with the current problems you would need the good luck of finding an owner of the twin of your laptop.

You may be right there, Donahue... or at least someone who has a reasonably new laptop in the GT line... I guess I'm the first 8O .

Last edited by grooveman on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does the boot choices screen in bios look like? a photo posted at a photo site would be good.
if not exact wording of choices might help.
cmarslett
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Maybe use the UEFI shell? Reply with quote

I gave up on MSI some time ago but after switching to a Tyan motherboard I have run into similar problems.

My workaround for the Tyan motherboard is not very pretty, but it works just barely well enough for me.

Like you, I can install Windows 8, but I cannot get any other UEFI boot target to appear on the BIOS boot menu.

I did figure out how to install Ubuntu in UEFI boot mode, I can't remember how, though. But it still did not appear in the boot menu, and I could not force it to boot using normal procedures.

But if you can get to the UEFI Shell (I can do that on the Tyan BIOS), then you can try to find the boot loader for the OS and run it directly. I use commands like these (for grub2 on ubuntu and for grub2 on gentoo):

Code:

map -r -b
  fs0:
  \EFI\gentoo\grubx64.efi

The "map" command shows you all the UEFI boot partitions (really, all the UEFI accessible mass
storage partitions) you have. The "fs0:" command switches to one of the partitions (think MSDOS). And then
the "\EFI\gentoo\grubx64.efi" runs the EFI part of the grub2 code (in this case, the Gentoo installed grub2; changing "gentoo" to "ubuntu" will boot the grub2 installed by Ubuntu).

By the way, I have always had multiple /EFI subdirectories (/EFI/Boot is installed when I GPT format the drive from the Windows DVD if I remember correctly, and Microsoft adds /EFI/Microsoft when I finish installing Windows 8, and installing Ubuntu with Grub2 adds /EFI/ubuntu, and Gentoo's Grub2 install adds /EFI/gentoo. So my partition is getting a bit cluttered.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: