Boot Problem - Looks like Kernel [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Boot Problem - Looks like Kernel [solved] Reply with quote

Team,

Its a while since I posted here :)
I've just rented a dedicated server from OVH - it came with their Gentoo 2012 offering, which is interesting in itself by not relevant to my problem, since its not there any more.

I've set up kernel raid1 for /boot, swap and LVM2 and installed 3.7.0-hardened, several times now.
Each time, I fail to get any /dev/sd* entries in the initrd /dev ... so thats game over.

Making the nodes with mknod doesn't help - there is nothing underneath the nodes to mount or to feed to mdadm.

lspci says
Code:
# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579V Gigabit Network Connection (rev 05)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b5)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation H61 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
02:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 03)
which says I need the AHCI driver.

The kernel config is http://bpaste.net/show/65982/

The CPU type is set to generic to work around another bag of worms, which should not be relevant to my no disk nodes issue.

The initrd init script is at http://bpaste.net/show/65984/
Any pointers much appreciated.

-- Edit --

It is the kernel. The Virtual KVM provided for debugging provides entirely different hardware to the real hardware. The penny just dropped. Ouch!

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Last edited by NeddySeagoon on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
lxg
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello NeddySeagoon, welcome to the Gentoo forums. I'm glad you could resolve the issue yourself. Please add [SOLVED] to the title of your post, so others don't have to read the whole lot, just to find out it's resolved. Thank you!

:P
ronstudio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Boot Problem - Looks like Kernel [solved] Reply with quote

Hi Neddy,

Could I ask you more info regarding your issue? Was that since you include some options for KVM into the kernel config, make the system being "Misleaded" for different hardware, hence failing to boot the machine?

I have recently make a new install of Gentoo, suppose the steps that I took was all correct (I guess I pretty familiar with the steps as I have done this many times), but the system boot up in a very weird shape. saying my harddisk as read only, and the stty login saying the hostname as (none). The whole thing just very weird, but I sure I have done the following things correctly,

1) Correctly setup the AHCI driver, hence it does able to boot
2) Correct config in /etc/fstab
3) Correct config in bootloader lilo

But the system just looks very weird when it boots up. So when I see your post, I wonder if this is due to the KVM that you just mentioned? one more thing different with my past installation is, this time the kernel takes much longer than the past, I was wondering if the newer version of kernel has implemented any features hence it has to wait for several seconds (like 10 seconds).....

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Team,
-- Edit --

It is the kernel. The Virtual KVM provided for debugging provides entirely different hardware to the real hardware. The penny just dropped. Ouch!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronstudio,

OVH have some very wierd debug. They rent you an Intel based system, which is very good value for money.
For debug they provide a Virtual Keyboard Video Mouse (vKVM) system. This system runs your nice shiny lean -march=native install in a QEMU virtual machine that pretends to have an AMD processor and hardware that is nothing like the real hardware.

So the debug goes like this. Boot on the real hardware and nothing happens, you only know its broken, as you don't get any boot messages.
Switch over the vKVM and you can hear the crash as QEMU with an AMD CPU can't execute Intel optimised code and when you fix that, you realise it can't mount root because the emulated HDD controller is not in your kernel.

So you fix your kernel to be generic and all the packages needed to boot and add in support for the QEMU vKVM environment.

I was lucky. I use LVM2 on top of Raid1 on my OVH server, so I have to have an initrd. For debug, it was enough to build the kernel and initrd components as -mtune=generic.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: