No network from boot disk
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: No network from boot disk Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just gotten a new laptop. An MSI GT Series GT70 0ND-444US. The minimal amd64 boot disk will not boot, no matter what parameters I throw at it. I downloaded the latest DVD, and that booted, but there was nothing for either the wireless or the lan on this laptop. I have tried using knoppix and an ubuntu64 boot disk -- neither of them even make it to the interactive lilo/grub menu.

Code:
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Device e091 (rev 13)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 2230 (rev c4)

I went to /lib/modules and modprobed every module listed for atheros and intel, but nothing worked.

So, I downloaded the latest system recovery disk from sourceforge, and it wouldn't boot either (just hangs after boot loader)

So, I used a parted magic disk, that boots, and even gets the network going, but it is a x86 build, so I cannot chroot to my 64bit environment. (I also do not think it has a working copy of gcc on it)

So I am stuck. What can I do here to get this installed?

I appreciate the help!

-G
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be your problem.
Quote:
Secure Boot
Microsoft designed Secure Boot to protect the computer from low-level exploits and rootkits and bootloaders. A security process shared between the operating system and Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI, replacing the BIOS), Secure Boot requires all the applications that are running during the booting process to be pre-signed with valid digital certificates. This way, the system knows all the files being loaded before Windows 8 loads and gets to the login screen have not been tampered with.
If a bootloader has infected your computer and it tries to load during the boot-up sequence, Secure Boot will be able to undo all the changes and thwart the attack. Having Secure Boot means it is that much harder for attackers to try to compromise the start up sequence.
While PC makers have to have Secure Boot enabled in the UEFI firmware by default, if they want to be able to slap the Windows logo outside the box, the feature can be disabled within the UEFI interface. Anyone who wants to install a non-Windows operating system on Windows 8-certified hardware would first have to manually disable SecureBoot.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411464,00.asp
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-943984-highlight-secure+boot+shim.html
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the input, but, I don't think that is it, for a couple reasons. First, it would boot to some disks, but not others (worked with parted magic, for example and the gentoo dvd for another).

Secondly, I found that it would boot to USB sticks without too much fuss, and I was able to use unetbootin to put the linux minimal disk on a USB stick -- and that boots.

So, I got around the "no-boot" issue with the installation CD, but I still have not been able to find a 64bit disk that will allow me a network connection. I have modprobed every atheros and intel driver for ethernet and wireless. I even got a usb wireless nic -- and that isn't working either (that uses the Ralink rt3072 chip). That doesn't work either.

So I am around the boot issue. Now, How do I get this thing connected to the network?

Thanks.

Last edited by grooveman on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here about similar laptop MSI GT60 ethernet issue:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12028162

may be it helps you.
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this looks like the issue, and it looks like a fine solution for someone using ubuntu on a r/w filesystem...

This is a boot disk with a read-only filesystem with no linux headers... so I don't see how I can implement anything like this. All the drivers are cooked, and there are no components to work with to make new ones..

If some major guru out there has any idea on how I can accomplish this, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks again.

G
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...

I'm getting around this issue by manually downloading all the packages needed to do and install, copying them to dvd, and copying them into the distfiles dir on the laptop I'm doing the install upon.

Since the parted magic disk was able to run normally with network support, I'm hoping that this problem was fixed in a newer kernel -- if not, at least I have a chance of invoking creaker's suggestion.

I'll post back if it works...
beizhuchun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can modprobe iwlwifi after cp iwlwifi-2030-6.ucode to /lib/firmware.
download the firmware from:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=iwlwifi-2030-ucode-18.168.6.1.tgz
uncompress it, and cp the iwlwifi-2030-6.ucode to your boot usb or cd.
after boot from livecd,
cp -L /mnt/cdrom/iwlwifi*.ucode /lib/firmware
modprobe iwlwifi
dmesg |grep firmware
modprobe -r iwlwifi
modporbe iwlwif

then iwconfig will find wlan0
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that tidbit. It may come in handy when I decide to tackle this again... it has been tabled for a while. I personally think, however, that a UEFI boot in linux is impossible on this PC due to a bios bug. I cannot get anything out of the manufacturer on it...
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bailed on this altogether. I switched to mbr, installed win7, then installed gentoo. Still having some difficulty getting drivers to work for the nvidia card in this thing, but other than that, it is working well.

I'm irritated that it wouldn't boot under uefi. Maybe in the next year or so, the linux kernel will address whatever quirks are in MSI's UEFI implementation...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: