View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wichtounet
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Gnome Shell takes very long to load from login Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm experiencing slow load time on Gnome Shell. From the login view (gdm) to Gnome Shell it takes about 20 seconds. During that times, I see the background of the gdm screen and nothing else seems to happens.

I'm using the nvidia-drivers.

Is that normal ? Does someone know a fix ?

I know that I don't give a lot of informations, but I do not know where to find these information :oops: Can a bootchart indicates the bottleneck or a log file ?

Thanks in advance for any help
wichtounet
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried bootchart but it doesn't indicate anything after the login. I also tried to get informations form the X.org log file and the /var/log/messages file but I do not know to check out which processes are taking a lot of time.

I also tried to disable the NetworkManager as it seemed that DHCP was taking a lot of time in the log file, but it didn't helped.

Nobody does have an idea on this problem ?
wichtounet
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried booting without NetworkManager and there are still some delays.

If I check the /var/log/messages, I can see that there are 27 seconds (between 42:07 and 42:34) when nothing happens:

Quote:
Apr 3 14:42:05 Gentoo-Desktop dbus[2479]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.ColorManager' (using servicehelper)
Apr 3 14:42:05 Gentoo-Desktop dbus[2479]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.ColorManager'
Apr 3 14:42:06 Gentoo-Desktop kernel: [ 24.790350] gnome-settings-[3335]: segfault at 7fe6bf712c00 ip 00007fe6bf712c00 sp 00007fffa53bb1d8 error 14 in libattr.so.1.1.0[7fe6c0a17000+4000]
Apr 3 14:42:07 Gentoo-Desktop gnome-session[3304]: WARNING: Application '._cfg0000_gnome-settings-daemon.desktop' killed by signal
Apr 3 14:42:34 Gentoo-Desktop pulseaudio[3401]: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
Apr 3 14:42:34 Gentoo-Desktop dbus[2479]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.UDisks' (using servicehelper)
Apr 3 14:42:34 Gentoo-Desktop dbus[2479]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.UDisks'

If I launch NetworkManager, I also see a a delay of 12 seconds:

Quote:
Apr 3 14:50:32 Gentoo-Desktop NetworkManager[2522]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IP4 Configure Get) complete.
Apr 3 14:50:33 Gentoo-Desktop kernel: [ 20.799144] gnome-settings-[3345]: segfault at 7fedfe2f0c00 ip 00007fedfe2f0c00 sp 00007fffda592068 error 14 in libattr.so.1.1.0[7fedff5f5000+4000]
Apr 3 14:50:34 Gentoo-Desktop gnome-session[3314]: WARNING: Application '._cfg0000_gnome-settings-daemon.desktop' killed by signal
Apr 3 14:50:46 Gentoo-Desktop NetworkManager[2522]: <info> (wlan0): IP6 addrconf timed out or failed.

And one of 13 seconds:

Quote:
Apr 3 14:50:47 Gentoo-Desktop dbus[2445]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher' (using servicehelper)
Apr 3 14:50:47 Gentoo-Desktop dbus[2445]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher'
Apr 3 14:50:48 Gentoo-Desktop /etc/init.d/NetworkManager[3406]: status: inactive
Apr 3 14:51:01 Gentoo-Desktop pulseaudio[3432]: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
Apr 3 14:51:01 Gentoo-Desktop dbus[2445]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.UDisks' (using servicehelper)

I cannot see what these delays does come from...

Can it comes as a consequence to the segfault ? Or from pulseaudio ?

Thanks for any idea

I attached both files:
http://www.baptiste-wicht.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/messages-with-networkmanager.txt
http://www.baptiste-wicht.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/messages.txt
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recommendation I saw on the Arch wiki is to test logging in with a new user, preferably one you just created, and check if that is any faster? If it is, you can move all your gconf/dconf stuff into another folder, and then add one setting at a time to see which one is causing the delays.

A note though: If you've logged in once, it is usually a lot faster to log in again after a log-out (everything is in cache, etc), so you might have to restart the computer to actually see if there is a difference in log in time.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME#GNOME_login_takes_a_very_long_time
wichtounet
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azp wrote:
A recommendation I saw on the Arch wiki is to test logging in with a new user, preferably one you just created, and check if that is any faster? If it is, you can move all your gconf/dconf stuff into another folder, and then add one setting at a time to see which one is causing the delays.

I tried that but it didn't change anything.

azp wrote:
A note though: If you've logged in once, it is usually a lot faster to log in again after a log-out (everything is in cache, etc), so you might have to restart the computer to actually see if there is a difference in log in time.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME#GNOME_login_takes_a_very_long_time

In my case, the second login was not faster than the first.

Whatever, I've now switched to Xfce that is much more stable and faster (and uglier too) that works well for now.
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GNU/Linux, the power of choice, right? ;)
Xytovl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a similar problem caused by pulseaudio udev device detection.
Try to disable it in /etc/pulse/default.pa (the module-udev-detect line).

It was on a machine running -rc kernel, so I am not sure you can have the same issue.
wichtounet
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xytovl wrote:
GNU/Linux, the power of choice, right? ;)

Absolutely :) Especially with Gentoo.

azp wrote:

It was on a machine running -rc kernel, so I am not sure you can have the same issue.

It cannot be from that, because I didn't have sound at this time.
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xytovl wrote:

Oh, this is extremely interesting. I have to check it out as well, really feels like something that should be done asynchronously and not stall the log-in though. It's not like I desperately need sound the first 30 seconds =)
(except for "system sounds" which are all a huge pain in the ass and should be killed with fire and sulphur, the way the Targaryens intended it to).
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely worked for me! Login went from 25 seconds to 5.
stlouisubntu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: slow desktop start after login Reply with quote

azp wrote:
It definitely worked for me! Login went from 25 seconds to 5.

Hey friend. Can you help me out and be specific on which line to comment out in /etc/pulse/default.pa ?

Also, what are the other ramifications of doing this? Will there be no sound?

I am lead developer of the Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix http://sourceforge.net/projects/cinnamon-remix/

and our current live/install images are experiencing this exact issue (even after the full hard drive install) where it can take 30 - 90 seconds to a full desktop after login (I have personally observed 72 seconds.)

With Cinnamon being a fork of gnome-shell, I figured the same solution might be appropriate.

Frankly, I feel like I have very little business in the gentoo forums, but you guys clearly have superior troubleshooting and diagnostic skills.

Thanks so much. :)
nishant1234
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup i think it should be improved
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: