View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: [solved]FVWM-Crystal: Strange URxvt focus behaviour Reply with quote

I get a strange focus behaviour with URxvt. I open a term and lauch mc. I find a file I want to lock and press Enter. mc lauch the corresponding application, as example mplayer, and I can watch the movie. But mplayer didn't get the focus until I click onto the movie.

With any other term I try, mplayer did get the focus immediately at launch time.

It is more, If I do Ctrl+o in order to get back in the shell, or close mc, and launch mplyer with
Code:
mplayer <my_movie.avi>

mplayer get the focus, but I must press the Esc key 2 times for mplayer to quit. With any other term, it quit at the first Esc press.

It is so strange that I doesn't have any precise question. Any clue will be appreciated.

EDIT: I forget to say: this is with fvwm-crystal. With other wm like xfce or plain fvwm, the focus is working fine with urxvt. But this is still very strange. I searched for strings into fvwm-crystal, and the style for urxvt is the same than the style for other terminals.

EDIT2: Oops, I found what a "privileged terminal" is in FVWM-Crystal. This is a term that will not loose the focus when it launch a new window. It was just to put the corresponding pref to false (apply !FPOverrideGrabFocus style).
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dominique_71! It is nice to see you are still using fvwm/fvwm-cristall!

Before I felt in the tiling WM world, I remember having lots of fun with FVWM, how is it evolving now? I mean, is the development still active?
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truc wrote:
Hey Dominique_71! It is nice to see you are still using fvwm/fvwm-cristall!

Before I felt in the tiling WM world, I remember having lots of fun with FVWM, how is it evolving now? I mean, is the development still active?

Hey truc!

Of course, the development of fvwm is still active. It is slow, but well, this is fvwm, so it doesn't matter that much. Wanted and useful features are added, and idiotic take_my_freedom_away and break_my_system features like polkit are avoided. GNU/linux is wonderful on the server side, but on the desktop side, it is following the same paradigm than $OS like windows and mac: the never the better.

Frenetic efforts are mode to develop fully idiotic stuffs that can be made another and better way. Polkit is the worst example I know, only big paranoid companies need such functionalities, anyone else just don't want such stuffs. But polkit is in all the gentoo desktop profiles, this when only gnome and a few other desktops cannot be installed without this idiotic s..

Another example is pulseaudio. It is hundred of threads everywhere on the internet from peoples having problems with it, and you can do the same with just ALSA + JACK + the snd_loopback module, that with something pulseaudio doesn't provide: constant sound latency, something which is a must for any serious audio work. 8) :lol:

In FVWM, one of the last added features in the cvs was FVWM variables. They are variables that will not pollutes the environment. They will be part of the next release.

My main reasons to use fvwm are 2: First, it just do the job and is very efficient. Second, It is the less buggy wm I know when you like a click-to-focus policy without raise (Amiga like focus policy). In fact it is even better that the Amiga OS, because I can have with raise/shadow with left/right click on the title bars, and without raise anywhere else on the windows. This focus policy stuff is the main reason why I always hated gnome. Kde is a little bit better, but soon or later, it will begun to suck.

For me. FVWM-Crystal was an easy way to get in touch with FVWM. You get not only a wm (FVWM), but a full desktop that is very easy to use. Also and for me, the file hierarchy of FVWM_Crystal is much simpler than the one of FVWM themes. And Crystal is very friendly to the user, it is easy to use and just work. FVWM-themes is more experimental, you begun to change and mix the options. It feel very good at the beginning, but some time later, you get a fully unusable system that is so complicated that you just don't know what to do with it.

With time, I learned a lot about FVWM. Simple modification are easy to do, but I think than, because of its combination of complexity (huge number of commands and options) and simplicity (no distinction between configuration commands and action commands), it is not easy to completely manage something as big than Crystal or Themes.

For now, I have no plan to change my desktop. Anyway, I keep a close eye on AROS, especially on AEROS, that mix of AROS and Linux. Like FVWM and GNU/linux, it just work, but it is incredibly faster (gimp on hosted AROS is starting 4 or 5 time faster than natively on linux). :wink:
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never heard about aeros before, will keep a eye on this one, I am personnally keeping an eye on minix, well, I am not a developper, but from what I understand, the micro kernel should be the way to go, but you know how it is, the best solutions are not often the ones which get the more attention :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: