Live distros - How have they changed?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Live distros - How have they changed? Reply with quote

We've all gotten used to installing our systems using a liveCD/DVD/USB of some kind. This is not new and probably not ever going to change until we can just click on something and not even need storage media. But I'm wondering about those distros that were always built up as a system on removable media and the like, distros like Knoppix. Are they still around? How have they changed with the times? how will the newer windows 8 based systems change how we install linux over them?
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a) Knoppix has changed only in as much (as far as I can tell) as it uses lxde now as a standard DE rather than KDE (must have happened around three years ago). Otherwise it's more or less as it was.
b) (Not-so-secret) tip for fans of removable-medium-distros: sysresccd on flash drive. For me at least it has replaced Knoppix. It's small and Gentoo-based, the only niggle I have is that it uses zshell (or something silly like that) instead of vanilla bash, but that's really a matter of taste.
c) Windows 8 systems per se won't change anything, it's 'Secure Boot' that will prove to be a pain in the ass for the power user who wants to try a new OS once in a while, since it needs a signed-off-by-Microsoft boot agent (either kernel or boot loader). I don't know if something like a signed grub loader could still use different config files, or if those have to be signed along with the binary.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: