kde - minor update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vootey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: kde - minor update Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I notice that every minor kde update (e.g. from 4.9.3 to 4.9.4) every kde-ebuild gets pushed to the new version number. Therefore all packages are recompiled when updating.
My impression is that only the minority of these packages get real changes from upstream. So why don't just push only these packages? It would safe a lot of compile time every month.

Most likely somebody had to think of that before, so there must be a good reason. An answer would be nice nevertheless. Someone got information about this?
Thanks!

greetings.
lxg
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would cause too much confusion to mess with the version numbers. The general philosophy of the Gentoo devs on this topic appears to be “if in doubt, have the package rebuilt”. This is also experienced quite a lot when only a USE flag of a package changes … the package will have to be rebuilt, for the sake of consistency.

I agree that a lot of compiling is actually unneccessary … but then, I wouldn't know how to solve these problems in a consistent way without rebuilding the package in question.
vootey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lxg wrote:
I agree that a lot of compiling is actually unneccessary … but then, I wouldn't know how to solve these problems in a consistent way without rebuilding the package in question.

A solution would be to let gentoo forget about upstream's minor-version-numbers and introduce its own scheme.

For example consider kde sc 4.9.0. When kde releases 4.9.1 it is checked for real changes in the packages. The kde maintainer could then make a -r1 suffix (etc...) for the respective packages. e.g. kde-base/kdelibs would only appear as kde-base/kdelibs-4.9 , kde-base/kdelibs-4.9-r1 ...
Since the major release cycle assures abi and api compatibility between minor versions there should be no problem, shouldn't it.
lxg
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound sensible, but will lead to an even greater mess. First, there are many packages that use other versioning schemes, sometimes highly inconsistent ones. Second, the workload of maintaining and syncing Gentoo-specific versions of upstream software would be very high. Third, managing package dependencies would become awful.

vootey wrote:
Since the major release cycle assures abi and api compatibility between minor versions there should be no problem, shouldn't it.

Maybe so in a perfect world. ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: