trying to find ppl to prog with, or learn from, dedicated
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blain3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: trying to find ppl to prog with, or learn from, dedicated Reply with quote

So I have been trying to teach myself bash programing / scripting. I wasn't sure where to start but i figured that if i could become at least intermediate in this area I would have a nice foundation for beginning C, or Python. I have even come across what seems to be a Gentoo install script that I was of a mind to modify as a way for those who already know the handbook install, understand enough of the nuts and bolts of the system to keep it stable and maintained. Yet have a bash script available to them that could setup your partitions with fdisk, mount your partitions and filesystem, run mirrorselect for you, mount an extra usb containing a stage3 and portage snapshot it would unpack for you, sync the system, setup some basic config files, or perhaps prompt you to do so as needed. or possibly, one could have config files backed up and referenced during the install process. Anyhow I would VERY much like to become involved in this community, or its members i guess would be more accurate. Anyone else out there like me? that would like to find a project to work on, possibly even get a small team going and maintain a website devoted to programing? Perhaps someone with lots of skills and in need of some free help and someone who just wants to understand and learn what you have to teach. Either way, I will setup XChat IRC, and I'll either make sure my email is visible or add it to my sig. So if anyone is interested, please contact me, I believe working with others would be a huge for me. To be clear, I'm a Physical Science Associates Transfer major in college , and i have done avionics systems of f-18's in the navy when i was younger so I'm far from a know it all, but I do learn and figure things out very well. One last thing, I'm posting this here, not in some random programing forums because of the amount of knowledge and experience, and simply great community here at Gentoo. I will no doubt make mistakes, I am very predictable in my stubbornness though, and do not give up easily. Just one last thing, I have no problem if someone contacts me asking for help with install issues or some such, but what the entire point of this post is meant for is to find dedicated people who are in somewhat the same frame of mind as I, or professionals who could use some free help in exchange for your knowledge in programing, and of course, I have no expectations that I will learn these things overnight, I'm willing to work for this, and give 100% as long as I'm not busy with school, but i also have two laptops running gentoo, and a desktop with windows and Arch linux & two monitors. So I'm not lacking in equipment, just a teacher/s and or a group of those like me. If this post is out of line here I do apologize, I may also post on arch if i can.. not sure. Oh and if anyone has ideas to help me to begin building my "portfolio" like maintaining a website from command line alone, writing programs.. anything like that, and or good sources of good information i would greatly appreciate it, because alas, there is so much garbage out there these days. Thanks in advance guys, either way.
GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 19 11:17:39 UTC 2012
GNU/Linux
xobtihs
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blain3,

First off, you are involved in the community you are posting here to ask questions and help others. Thats dipping a toe in the water.
In general, there is no divide between those who contribute in different ways.

I cam here 10 years ago looking for help. I stayed around helping while my question was answered and I've never gone away. Eventually I was sucked into gentoo by way of being a forums mod.

On the technical side, make yourself an account at bugs.gentoo.org. Test and post bugs, post patches. If you have whole ebuilds to contribute, either post them to bugs.gentoo.org or join the sunrise overlay and post them there. There is some useful stuff linked here.
The community is very open, very little is done on a one to one basis. Its not cruel, it just that being in the open spreads knowledge faster.

You may well need a thick skin to start with, while you learn how to interact with the community. You have to find something that interests you and join in. Its unlikely the community will come to you.

It doesn't matter which programming language you learn first as long as its not BASIC. They all do the same things in similar ways.
Once you know one, swapping to another is little more than learning the new syntax.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suggest taking baby steps.... bash is basically running terminal commands in a list. you can make it do some pretty crazy stuff, i have to look up how to do things like check if /boot is mounted for my grub automation script, but the end of the script is basically 2 commands that previously were stated in the wiki before..... reference this script.

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start#Automating_Installs

i start with a goal of the script, hash out a very basic version, then debug and perfect the script until its polished enough to give to others.... i have 2 subversion scripts id share with you that are NOT done.. the 1st svn script is complete the 2nd is not.
blain3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct, and I didn't intend to not include anyone just working on projects and teaching myself gets so very old. Thing is, I've taken a look in on a few distro's since I started using Gentoo and They just pale in comparison now. As for language, I agree, and I think that once I'm more comfortable with bash I'll move to C as its a cross OS language. Anyway yes, I've been trying to help, yet there is so much i don't know, hence learning bash more in depth and practicing installs on spare computers etc. Anyway i take your point, ty for the reply and info.
GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 19 11:17:39 UTC 2012
GNU/Linux
xobtihs
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: