View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ratmonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Yet another Airbus falls out of the sky Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8125664.stm

Sorry energyman... couldn't resist the title.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that's shark-infested water there too. I bet it was a hijacking.
cbr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title is quite okay, most local news sites are like "AIRBUS AGAIN!" or "AIRBUS FALLS INTO SEA AGAIN!" or smth :P
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, the Yemeni airline is to blame. The airplane had numerous maintenance faults.

A 14-year-old girl actually survived the crash and is in stable condition.

Quote:
MORONI (AFP) — A 14-year-old girl was rescued alive in the sea amid debris and dead bodies after a Yemeni Airbus jet crashed in the Indian Ocean as it tried to land in the Comoros islands with 153 people aboard.

The A310 had aborted a landing and was making a second attempt when it crashed, officials said, as French authorities questioned the carrier's safety record saying the 19-year-old jet had been banned from France's airspace.
The girl lives in the French southern city of Marseille and was travelling with her mother to the Comoros, according to a Comoran community group in France.
Bussereau said French inspectors had in 2007 found numerous faults on the plane and that the airline, founded in 1961, was being closely monitored by EU authorities.

"The plane had not since then reappeared in our country," he told i-tele news.
According to an EU legal document, other inspections in Germany and Italy had shown up "deficiencies" with the airline, and in July last year the EU commission had insisted Yemenia provide an "action plan" to address safety concerns.

Yemen's Transport Minister Khaled al-Wazir told AFP the plane was technically sound and had "been overhauled in May 2009 and regularly flew to Europe.
Comorans in the southern French city of Marseille, home to more Comorans than the tiny Indian Ocean state's capital, said the tragedy was waiting to happen.

"We had been sounding the alarm bells, both here and in the Comoros," said Moegni Toahiry, 39, as he stood outside his country's consulate hoping for news of his cousin and three children who were on the flight.

A campaign group called "SOS voyage aux Comores" (SOS Comoros Travel) called on French authorities to act to stop a repeat of the crash.

"Flights between Sanaa and Moroni are carried out by cowboy operators," spokesman Farid Soilihi told AFP. "They treat people like cattle, they pile them in, they don't respect timetables, there are always technical problems."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gMkO4RKtik7Ri3YZPFrbU6SlZvzQ
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:(
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zepp wrote:
Do you have a vendetta against French teenage girls or something?

j/k

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
feliperal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another Airbus falls out of the sky Reply with quote

ratmonkey wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8125664.stm

Sorry energyman... couldn't resist the title.

Can't blame the Germans, Airbus is a french company.
drizek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a European company.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drizek wrote:
It's a European company.

True, but headquarters are in France, the CEO is French, there are more workers in France than anywhere else, and the French own more of it than anybody else. The French Government is the largest single investor (although this would be difficult to know, because they have done this very indirectly).

Details on breakdown of ownership:

French aerospace consortium SOGEADE is a public-private partnership between the French Government and the French firm Désirade. Désirade is a wholly-owned subsidiary of French holding company, Lagardère. SOGEADE is the single largest single investor in continental European aerospace joint venture EADS, owning 16%. The French government directly holds about 1% of EADS stock.

Airbus had been a joint venture of EADS and BAE (British Aerospace). BAE held a 20% interest, with EADS holding 80% (therefore, the French share of Airbus at that time was about 14%, and the British share about 20%). But then the British bailed out, in order to improve their ability to participate in the U.S. aerospace & defense sector. Leaving the French as the largest investor, at about 16%.

Note: this breakdown of ownership is exclusive of the 47% of EADS that is publicly traded (I have no idea who owns how much of that, except that nearly 1% is owned by the French government itself).
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
drizek wrote:
It's a European company.

True, but headquarters are in France, the CEO is French, there are more workers in France than anywhere else, and the French own more of it than anybody else. The French Government is the largest single investor (although this would be difficult to know, because they have done this very indirectly).

French aerospace consortium SOGEADE is a public-private partnership between the French Government and the French firm Désirade. Désirade is a wholly-owned subsidiary of French holding company, Lagardère. SOGEADE is the single largest single investor in continental European aerospace joint venture EADS, owning 16%. The French government directly holds about 1% of EADS stock.

Airbus had been a joint venture of EADS and BAE (British Aerospace). BAE held a 20% interest, with EADS holding 80% (therefore, the French share of Airbus at that time was about 14%, and the British share about 20%). But then the British bailed out, in order to improve their ability to participate in the U.S. aerospace & defense sector. Leaving the French as the largest investor, at about 16%.

Note: this breakdown of ownership is exclusive of the 47% of EADS that is publicly traded (I have no idea who owns how much of that, except that nearly 1% is owned by the French government itself).

80% EADS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EADS
Quote:

The European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company N.V. (EADS) is a large European aerospace corporation, formed by the merger on 10 July 2000 of DaimlerChrysler Aerospace AG (DASA) of Germany, Aérospatiale-Matra of France, and Construcciones Aeronáuticas SA (CASA) of Spain.

The company develops and markets civil and military aircraft, as well as communications systems, missiles, space rockets, satellites, and related systems. The company is headquartered in the Netherlands in Schiphol-Rijk and operates under Dutch law.

so does that make Airbus a Dutch company now
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
drizek wrote:
It's a European company.

80% EADS:

Fail. Lrn2read. That was before BAE abandoned them. Now it is 100% owned by EADS.

Naib wrote:
Quote:
The European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company N.V. (EADS) is a large European aerospace corporation, formed by the merger on 10 July 2000 of DaimlerChrysler Aerospace AG (DASA) of Germany, Aérospatiale-Matra of France, and Construcciones Aeronáuticas SA (CASA) of Spain.

The company develops and markets civil and military aircraft, as well as communications systems, missiles, space rockets, satellites, and related systems. The company is headquartered in the Netherlands in Schiphol-Rijk and operates under Dutch law.

Strawman. That would be one factor that might cause a person to consider it a "Dutch" company, if it also had a Dutch CEO, if it also had more Dutch employees than any other type, if the Dutch owned more of it than anybody else, and if it also had be formed as a merger of other companies with a Dutch one.

Stop failing so hard. You are making me feel embarrassed for you.

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Naib wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
drizek wrote:
It's a European company.

80% EADS:

Fail. Lrn2read. That was before BAE abandoned them. Now it is 100% owned by EADS.

*sigh* that 80% was just quoting you who said 80%. I don't really care what % is owned by whom it was just an intial point

BoneKracker wrote:

Quote:

Naib wrote:

Strawman. That would be one factor that might cause a person to consider it a "Dutch" company, if it also had a Dutch CEO, if it also had more Dutch employees than any other type, if the Dutch owned more of it than anybody else, and if it also had be formed as a merger of other companies with a Dutch one.

Stop failing so hard. You are making me feel embarrassed for you.

lern2strawman FFS
likewise stop failing at fscking forum quote breaks. Every fucking time you balls it up!

ill correct it for the part I am doing cause I don't want your FAIL at forum usage polluting my post
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Naib wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
drizek wrote:
It's a European company.

80% EADS:

*sigh* that 80% was just quoting you who said 80%. I don't really care what % is owned by whom it was just an intial point

Do you have a song to go with that tap-dance? :P

You weren't quoting me; you were correcting me, saying that EADS owned 80% of Airbus and providing the link as your proof. You were wrong. That was failure like a screen door on a submarine. Failure like a fart in a spacesuit. Failure like a zero-gravity urinal.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

You weren't quoting me; you were correcting me, saying that EADS owned 80% of Airbus and providing the link as your proof. You were wrong. That was failure like a screen door on a submarine. Failure like a fart in a spacesuit. Failure like a zero-gravity urinal.

dude I do >95% of my work for fucking airbus I know who fucking owns them. my point was who owns EADS - which isn't french own. And while the bulk of the manu is in french territory (and thus employs alot of french employee's) Airbus isn't a French company as such

and sort out your fucking forum-fu it sucks
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

dude I do >95% of my work for fucking airbus I know who fucking owns them. my point was who owns EADS - which isn't french own. And while the bulk of the manu is in french territory (and thus employs alot of french employee's) Airbus isn't a French company as such

and sort out your fucking forum-fu it sucks

More fail. Fail like a cotton condom.

As I said, it's a European company, but it's Headquarters is in France, the CEO is French, it employs more French people than any other nationality, and the French own more of than anybody else.

So what did I say that was incorrect, requiring you to interject this:
Naib wrote:
80% EADS:

What were you trying to say there? In what way is "80% EADS" correct about anything?

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Zepp wrote:
Do you have a vendetta against French teenage girls or something?

j/k

lol that :( wasn't about her surviving.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know. That just happened to be the part in bold. I couldn't resist :)

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: A380 = failed design? Reply with quote

Rolls-Royce faces backlash in US over Qantas A380 engine failure

Quote:
Rolls-Royce has been warned that it could face a BP-style backlash in the US after an engine design flaw was cited as a potential cause of the explosion that forced the emergency landing of a Qantas-owned A380 in Singapore.

Joe Lampel, a professor at the Cass Business School in London, said Rolls-Royce was a serious competitor to the US engine makers GE and Pratt & Whitney, forming a rivalry that mirrored the tensions between the US giant Boeing and Europe's Airbus.

"The news is attracting a lot of attention in North America, where the parallels between BP and Rolls-Royce are not too far from the mind of some observers," said Lampel. "Both companies are some of the best-known global British brands, and both challenge American competitors.

"In the case of BP, the company took the brunt for general distrust of deep sea oil drilling, arguably in a way that would not have been the case had the same incident happened to a large American oil company. In the case of Rolls-Royce, the incident must be seen in the context of longstanding competitive rivalry between Boeing and Airbus, and between Pratt & Whitney/GE and Rolls-Royce."

Obama played the race card. Hillary played the woman card. America played the Trump card.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading about this today, I'm withholding judgement until there is more information.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
I was reading about this today, I'm withholding judgement until there is more information.

It seems odd to claim a failed design when this is the only incident of this nature that I have heard of with the plane.

Obama played the race card. Hillary played the woman card. America played the Trump card.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said too early, but I find it hard to believe that a design flaw could be to blame.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Earth wrote:
notageek wrote:

It seems odd to claim a failed design when this is the only incident of this nature that I have heard of with the plane.
Exactly.

There are two things here, there was a second incident with a 747 (I think) of the same airlines and Emirates has a fleet of A380s.

So it could be airline specific, lets see what Quantas has to say.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I don't see why a design flaw can't cause something rare to happen nor can I see why another company having a vaguely similar incident means there was no design flaw.
2) There could be all sorts of things that went into why the plane would go down that weren't absolutely the engine-manufacturers fault, even if the engine itself was the problem. As an example, when I was in High School it came out that Boeing had purchased bolts/rivets for a bunch of their planes from a certain manufacturer who had the lowest bid because the stress test data they provided was falsified to make it seem they were within the required specs. While I'm sure that all of those have been replaced by now through regular maintenance and such, for a long time no one really knew how many of those were out there and those pieces of shit could've failed at any time.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one

Quote:
Another Qantas plane has made an emergency landing after suffering an engine problem shortly after take-off.

Channel News Asia said flight QF6 had turned back to Singapore after a malfunction with engine one.
On Thursday, a Qantas Airbus A380 superjumbo made an emergency landing in Singapore after one of its four engines suffered a blow-out.

So now it's not an isolated incident.

aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's odd that these design flaws didn't show up in testing.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: