View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirnickity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Python dependencies with emerge root= install of X Windows Reply with quote

I'm building a minimal Gentoo system (boot from CF card) and need some advice on how to handle build-time dependencies. Here's what I'm doing:

I have a fully built host laptop where I created a 4GB ext3 image file, and extracted stage3 here. This is my portable build platform (/mnt/build). Then, I generated a smaller ext3 image that is my target platform (/mnt/build/mnt/tiny, or /mnt/tiny once chroot'd into the build environment). I went through all the usual things I need (coreutils, openrc, udev, so on and so forth), built a kernel and after fixing any missing packages, successfully booted all the way into a bash shell. Great.

Now I want to add X11 and Firefox. The build platform has its own portage install and snapshot and X11 installed fine. When I targeted the Tiny root (emerge -a --root=/mnt/tiny xorg-x11) I get python, portage, and all the related accessories that I don't need nor want. I traced this back to x11-proto/xcb-proto-1.8. There's a PYTHON_DEPEND="*" line at the top of the ebuild that I removed (and corrected the Manifest). Now it no longer requires Python/portage and installed perfectly using the build image's python. I'm assuming python isn't actually a run-time dependency, so here's the real question:

Would it be helpful to submit this as a bug and request python be treated as a build dep that can be satisfied by ROOT="/", or is there no safe way to do this right now due to limitations in EAPI="4" or whatever? I don't know enough about portage to make an educated guess and I don't want to create noise for the devs if this can't be fixed.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that you are correct that Python is unnecessary at runtime, I expect this could be fixed without an EAPI revision. The ultimate value of DEPEND/RDEPEND/PDEPEND comes from the ebuild and its eclasses, so it should be possible to fix this by identifying the eclass which is adding python to RDEPEND and modifying it not to do so.
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Desktop Environments.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: