View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twobit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: KDE slow FPS old nvidia driver Reply with quote

AMD 64, quad core
Onboard Nvidia 8300
750a chipset

Under the 173 or 295 nvidia driver games,java,etc run great, but the desktop has alot of video lag.
Using the 304(newest) Nvidia driver, desktop runs beautiful but games have unplayable video lag.

when switching drivers, I'm removing then emerging Nvidia driver, then xorg-server, then xorg-drivers.

IS there something else i need to be doing to get kde running better under the old drivers? spent alot of time
trying to get games to run better on the newest driver with no luck.

any suggestions?
twobit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP?? how to make kde run smoother on old driver?? do i have to remerge kde??
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you use a poor card and run a desktop with composite, you'll get a poor desktop or game, because the card cannot manage so much datas.

You need to gave one job, and the card will do its best at it.
Disable composite and get game speed, but 2D desktop, no effect, and the speed of the card in 2D, not 3D. This should gave you the best result.

Or you may enable composite desktop to enable 3D handling of your desktop (that should gave better result than 2D or not, depend on the card, i'm not sure how powerful a 8300 could be) and disable it before running any game.
So for compiz it would be : killall compiz && runyourgame && compiz-start &

I suppose if your game run smooth you've select opengl already no? But it never kill to recheck that.

That's generality, i'm not sure if/how KDE handle composite, but i assume it do. And with the infos you gave, i don't see more to add.
twobit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if i fully understand, let me re-explain

on nvidia-drivers 173 i have laggy desktop 100% of the time and java games(minecraft) runs fine.

on nvidia-drivers 304 Desktop runs smooth 99% of the time and java will run great for a few mins before locking up with lag.

i dont have compiz installed. but the card even being onboard should be able to handle it ok. seems like kde doesnt like the older driver for some reason.
if there some other composite that i can shut off.. kde was compiled on the new driver.. should i re-emerge it on the old driver?
twobit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, using the old drivers, set my "desktop effects" to opengl rendering vs xrender. not sure why it wasn't that way to begin with. but it does run better. but still not as great as it should.

this is not while other games are running this is just desktop by itself. kde re-emerge help? yes/no?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you think of with "great as it should" with composite enable with a 8300 card...

Quote:
this is not while other games are running this is just desktop

If composite is enable, your desktop is now opengl, so just consider it as a game, and you may get a better idea of what your card is now handling.

Quote:
kde re-emerge help? yes/no?

i'm afraid no
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: