openrc-0.11.* and mysql
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: openrc-0.11.* and mysql Reply with quote

I had let the system update to openrc-0.11.6 and then I did my usual backup and reboot of the system (once a week I copy /root to a backup disk using system rescue to get a clean copy)

When I rebooted, mysql refused to start.
I went looking around and realized that /var/run was now a symbolic link to /run and had been deleted.
And the mysqld directory wasn't being created on /run.

Not sure if there is a solution in the work for those programs that expect to find directories in /var/run like mysqld.

I went back to the openrc-0.9 series and replaced /var/run from a backup.

Edit to add: I wasn't sure where to put this post. If there is a place more appropriate, then feel free to move it.
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's something that the openrc ebuild ought to be sure exists on your system: the recent stage-3 tarballs create a /run directory. These commands do what the stage-3 tarballs do for /run; try them before going to the new openrc:
Code:
mkdir -p /run/sepermit
touch /run/.keep

Now you'll have a mountpoint for the tempfs for /run--or, if nothing in the boot process mounts something there, it will be your real /run directory.

I don't know what that sepermit/ directory is for--except maybe as a more-sticky .keep file.

I'm running openrc-0.11.6 and it works great for me. There are a number of funky strange things like the /usr merge that freedesktop.org keeps wanting to push onto everybody, but this /run thing is not such a bad idea. It's easy to set up and use. Get running!
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I originally booted with the new openrc it copied over /var/run with the included mysqld directory
The problem is with the next reboot /run gets recreated since it's a tmpfs dir and mysqld doesn't get recreated, thus the problem.

I could add it each time, but that's a pain, and not really what I want to do.

I "assume" that there is some file somewhere that tells run
what directories to create under itself with proper ownership, but I don't know what it is.

This was more a heads up for anyone else that might be having a problem
with some things not starting properly that depended on certain directories being under /var/run, now /run.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: