Can't get xorg to work on a G5 - freezes at boot with KMS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samapprend
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Can't get xorg to work on a G5 - freezes at boot with KMS Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently installed gentoo on a powermac G5 that has an ati radeon 9600 pro. It boots well and works well in console mode with the legacy radeon framebuffer drivers.

When I try to compile the kernel with KMS enabled in order to use xorg (I did disable all the legacy framebuffer drivers), I cannot get the computer to boot. It freezes (and sometimes the display goes weird, like wiggly lines all over the screen) at various points of the booting process, depending on what I try.

Of course, trying to start xorg with the legacy framebuffer drivers results in:

Code:

(II) [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.

I tried a variety of combinations of drivers/boot parameters and posting all the different kernel config I tried is probably not the best idea. I was wondering if someone had managed to run xorg with the same hardware and could help me figure this out.

Also, I took a look at http://mac.linux.be/content/xorgconf-ppc-machines-radeon-9600-and-kms-kernel-lucid-lynx but I would like to avoid messing with xorg.conf if at all possible.

Thanks for your help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: