Grammar lesson for the day
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Grammar lesson for the day Reply with quote

A "partitive noun" is a noun used to indicate an associated amount. For example, in the phrase, 'a scoop of ice cream', the word "scoop" no longer refers to the utensil itself but to the amount of ice cream it would typically contain.

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks grammar.
GabrielYYZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was called "partitive", like an undefined partition of a whole. For example, some butter instead of a stick of butter or a spoonful of butter.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GabrielYYZ wrote:
I thought that was called "partitive", like an undefined partition of a whole. For example, some butter instead of a stick of butter or a spoonful of butter.

You're right, it is "partitive" (fixed above), but I don't think "some" is an example of a partitive noun. "Some" is a partitive actor in the sentence, but not what I was talking about (partitive nouns particularly, which are rarer and more interesting in the sense that they tend toward visual imagery).
GabrielYYZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
GabrielYYZ wrote:

You're right, it is "partitive" (fixed above), but I don't think "some" is an example of a partitive noun. "Some" is a partitive actor in the sentence, but not what I was talking about (partitive nouns particularly, which are rarer and more interesting in the sense that they tend toward visual imagery).

The noun phrase is "some butter", "some" is a partitive determiner that makes the noun phrase refer to a subset of all butter.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partitive

PS: To be honest, i hadn't heard about "partitive nouns" until now, just "partitive expressions".
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GabrielYYZ wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
GabrielYYZ wrote:

The noun phrase is "some butter", "some" is a partitive determiner that makes the noun phrase refer to a subset of all butter.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partitive

PS: To be honest, i hadn't heard about "partitive nouns" until now, just "partitive expressions".

It's still not a partitive noun. A partitive noun is a word which is a noun but takes on a partitive role in certain usage. The most common are obvious, such as containers and tools (e.g., "bucket of water", "shovel of dirt", or are simply nouns bastardized with a "-ful" or -load suffix: "mouthful of jelly beans", "truckload of sand"). But there are others that are more interesting and metaphorically creative (e.g., "a freight car of ideas").
aCOSwt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
But there are others that are more interesting and metaphorically creative (e.g., "a freight car of ideas").

A bunch of + for this topic BK !

Does'nt this demonstrate our incapability do deal with whatever quantity ranging between nothing and the whole lot ?
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
It's still not a partitive noun. A partitive noun is a word which is a noun but takes on a partitive role in certain usage. The most common are obvious, such as containers and tools (e.g., "bucket of water", "shovel of dirt", or are simply nouns bastardized with a "-ful" or -load suffix: "mouthful of jelly beans", "truckload of sand"). But there are others that are more interesting and metaphorically creative (e.g., "a freight car of ideas").

A boxful of old willies. A Brady Bunch of bollocks. A shedful of fartholes. A load of old bollocks.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

A boxful of old willies. A Brady Bunch of bollocks. A shedful of fartholes. A load of old bollocks.

A shitload of pussy. :o

Doh. Did I just ruin the thread? :o
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about...

A boatload of fraudulent votes.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1