Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
taskbar flickering in kde 4.9.3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
gigel
Guru
Guru


Joined: 14 Jan 2003
Posts: 344
Location: .RO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: taskbar flickering in kde 4.9.3 Reply with quote

I wonder why was kde 4.9.3 marked stable if this bug was not yet fixed?
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=309045
_________________
$emerge sux
:D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 2352
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at kde bugzilla, if they would wait for such things we would never get anything stabilised.

However, if anyone is affected by this I am sure it is possible to be included for kmix-4.9.3, in that case a bug report is needed.
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gigel
Guru
Guru


Joined: 14 Jan 2003
Posts: 344
Location: .RO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problems is not with kmix, it is with the taskbar. kmix, pidgin, etc.. all behave the same.

i just don't know what happend to the ideea that it's ok to develop things that just work. same thing with kmail2, a pile of crap. now, kde is moving towards this - fancy crappy software. why update then? I always tell myself to stop upgradeing software that just works for me.


thanx for your post btw
_________________
$emerge sux
:D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 2352
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think I just got something similar from konversation notifications.

However, Gentoo devs can't be aware of everything and software will never be bug free. I for myself have seen my fair share of panel and systray related bugs that weren't fixed over several KDE major releases. Naturally, when there's a new version unmasked and stabilised, a much bigger audience is using the software and able to find additional bugs.
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gigel
Guru
Guru


Joined: 14 Jan 2003
Posts: 344
Location: .RO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you that there is no full bugfree software, and when a version gets stabilised more people can report bugs so they would get fixed. But the problem is that people who want a stable system simply don't want to fill bug reports and such. The reason I upgraded to 4.9 branch was not because I felt that the 4.8 version is not good enough or that I wanted some whatever feature from the 4.9., but I upgraded because I'm to lazy to add alot of entries in the package.provided config file.

Most probably I'll just do that :))

thanx
_________________
$emerge sux
:D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 2352
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigel wrote:
but I upgraded because I'm to lazy to add alot of entries in the package.provided config file.

That's wrong anyway - mask packages that you don't want to upgrade. Something like >{package-atom}-4.8.9 would still bring you minor updates.

However, 4.9 is an otherwise superb release, with focus on stability and performance. I would recommend you to wait for the fix to go into the relevant kde ebuild. I've taken a look at the patches and they only address kmix.

From your description it is not yet clear to me if you have actually seen the bug yourself? I couldn't reproduce, and my own observation seems to be unrelated. If you are able to reproduce this behaviour, take the patch from https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=444668 and place it into "/etc/portage/patches/kde-base/kmix-4.9.3/", re-emerge kmix and see if it is fixed. If so, please report back now that the bug was opened already.
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gigel
Guru
Guru


Joined: 14 Jan 2003
Posts: 344
Location: .RO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, the problem does not relate to kmix only, but pidgin, ktorrent - or whatever app that uses the taskbar and updates it for some reason ;)

for example, if your taskbar icon changes upon receiving a new message from someone, then the taskbar flickers. it's not just kmix, it's every app that uses the taskbar. For me, kde 4.8 simply worked. Now I already emerged it back, but entered some horrid problems with freaking akonadi (how I HATE this piece of software from the moment it was introduces it caused only problems)

After all I'm not even using the ~amd64 branch, but the stable one ;)

I would say that mask or provided it's all the same in the end.
_________________
$emerge sux
:D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gigel
Guru
Guru


Joined: 14 Jan 2003
Posts: 344
Location: .RO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
with focus on stability and performance.

how do you quantify "stability" and "performance" ?
_________________
$emerge sux
:D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 2352
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad, because so far you were the only one able to see that bug and a few tests with differently configured systray/panel and screenshots would have been helpful. Since the kde bug only specifically cares about kmix, it might have been a problem with your specific config (e.g. caused by upgrade from 4.8 to 4.9, a test run with a new user profile is always a good idea).

gigel wrote:
I would say that mask or provided it's all the same in the end.

Well, not really.
Quote:
package.provided
A list of packages (one per line) that portage should assume have been provided. Useful for porting to non-Linux systems.
Basically, it's a list that replaces the emerge --inject syntax.

For example, if you manage your own copy of a 2.6 kernel, then you can tell portage that 'sys-kernel/development-sources-2.6.7'
is already taken care of and it should get off your back about it.

Quote:
package.mask
A list of package atoms to mask. Useful if specific versions of packages do not work well for you. For example, you swear by
the Nvidia drivers, but only versions earlier than 1.0.4496. No problem!

Example:
# mask out versions 1.0.4496 of the nvidia
# drivers and later
>=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.4496
>=media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.4496

Using package.provided in your case simply is messy, yet every once in a while someone gives this false advice.
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gigel
Guru
Guru


Joined: 14 Jan 2003
Posts: 344
Location: .RO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
That's too bad, because so far you were the only one able to see that bug and a few tests with differently configured systray/panel and screenshots would have been helpful. Since the kde bug only specifically cares about kmix, it might have been a problem with your specific config (e.g. caused by upgrade from 4.8 to 4.9, a test run with a new user profile is always a good idea).

It's obvious that it's not a "profile" thing but rather an app thing. Either packages don't use the correct update of the taskbar icon procedure, either there is a bug in the taskbar code - so far they fixed only kmix, but no one told nothing about pidgin, audacious and other programs. For me thos worked fine in 4.8, now they don't.

I don't care about the new features as long as the system flickers - flickering is annoying.

genstorm wrote:

gigel wrote:
I would say that mask or provided it's all the same in the end.

Well, not really.
Quote:
package.provided
A list of packages (one per line) that portage should assume have been provided. Useful for porting to non-Linux systems.
Basically, it's a list that replaces the emerge --inject syntax.

For example, if you manage your own copy of a 2.6 kernel, then you can tell portage that 'sys-kernel/development-sources-2.6.7'
is already taken care of and it should get off your back about it.

Quote:
package.mask
A list of package atoms to mask. Useful if specific versions of packages do not work well for you. For example, you swear by
the Nvidia drivers, but only versions earlier than 1.0.4496. No problem!

Example:
# mask out versions 1.0.4496 of the nvidia
# drivers and later
>=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.4496
>=media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.4496

Using package.provided in your case simply is messy, yet every once in a while someone gives this false advice.

[/quote]
I'll move the entries from .provided to .mask, but I doubt that something will actually change :D
_________________
$emerge sux
:D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 2352
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigel wrote:
genstorm wrote:
That's too bad, because so far you were the only one able to see that bug and a few tests with differently configured systray/panel and screenshots would have been helpful. Since the kde bug only specifically cares about kmix, it might have been a problem with your specific config (e.g. caused by upgrade from 4.8 to 4.9, a test run with a new user profile is always a good idea).

It's obvious that it's not a "profile" thing but rather an app thing. Either packages don't use the correct update of the taskbar icon procedure, either there is a bug in the taskbar code - so far they fixed only kmix, but no one told nothing about pidgin, audacious and other programs. For me thos worked fine in 4.8, now they don't.

If that is so obvious, where are all the bug reports? ;) All sorts of users surely would complain, but I fail to find such reports. To verify your case you could have easily applied the patch to kmix with the method provided above.
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gigel
Guru
Guru


Joined: 14 Jan 2003
Posts: 344
Location: .RO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
gigel wrote:
genstorm wrote:
That's too bad, because so far you were the only one able to see that bug and a few tests with differently configured systray/panel and screenshots would have been helpful. Since the kde bug only specifically cares about kmix, it might have been a problem with your specific config (e.g. caused by upgrade from 4.8 to 4.9, a test run with a new user profile is always a good idea).

It's obvious that it's not a "profile" thing but rather an app thing. Either packages don't use the correct update of the taskbar icon procedure, either there is a bug in the taskbar code - so far they fixed only kmix, but no one told nothing about pidgin, audacious and other programs. For me thos worked fine in 4.8, now they don't.

If that is so obvious, where are all the bug reports? ;) All sorts of users surely would complain, but I fail to find such reports. To verify your case you could have easily applied the patch to kmix with the method provided above.

I wonder how a patch to kmix would fix the taskbar flickering from pidgin and audacious :roll:

maybe it's something wrong with my perception, I see taskbar flickering everywhere lol
_________________
$emerge sux
:D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 2352
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigel wrote:
so far they fixed only kmix, but no one told nothing about pidgin, audacious and other programs.

You see, if the patch fixes kmix for you, your theory would be underpinned. If no one else reports a flickering taskbar, your claim remains weak. ;)


OK, as far as I can see, the bug you mentioned is actually completely unrelated to your issue - that was distracting me a bit. Does the following bug (see video) fit better?

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=279164
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gigel
Guru
Guru


Joined: 14 Jan 2003
Posts: 344
Location: .RO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
gigel wrote:
so far they fixed only kmix, but no one told nothing about pidgin, audacious and other programs.

You see, if the patch fixes kmix for you, your theory would be underpinned. If no one else reports a flickering taskbar, your claim remains weak. ;)


OK, as far as I can see, the bug you mentioned is actually completely unrelated to your issue - that was distracting me a bit. Does the following bug (see video) fit better?

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=279164


It's not that one. It's the systray that's flickering - in the same way that kmix was flickering. And kmix is in the systray. Only apps that didn't flicker were kmail, synatpiks, wireless and few others.

you say that if no one else reports a similar flickering problem than my claim is weak - that's false. Alot of people actually don't report their issues, they just revert to the good old stable software that didn't caused the problem.

the bug I mention is completely related - kmix does as in the bug I posted in the beginning of the thread. the same goes for audacious and pidgin - same behaviour, same flickering whenever a change in the systray icon should occur. sometimes happened with ktorrent, but only seldom.
_________________
$emerge sux
:D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 2352
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigel wrote:
It's not that one. It's the systray that's flickering - in the same way that kmix was flickering. And kmix is in the systray. Only apps that didn't flicker were kmail, synatpiks, wireless and few others.

OK, clear then. Above you mentioned your taskbar multiple times, that made me wondering. ;)
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic


Last edited by genstorm on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gigel
Guru
Guru


Joined: 14 Jan 2003
Posts: 344
Location: .RO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
gigel wrote:
It's not that one. It's the systray that's flickering - in the same way that kmix was flickering. And kmix is in the systray. Only apps that didn't flicker were kmail, synatpiks, wireless and few others.

OK, clear then. Above you mentioned your taskbar multiple times, that made me wondering. ;)

yes, I meant the systray, sorry for the confusion :idea:
_________________
$emerge sux
:D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 2352
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigel wrote:
you say that if no one else reports a similar flickering problem than my claim is weak - that's false. Alot of people actually don't report their issues, they just revert to the good old stable software that didn't caused the problem.

KDE4 has such a big user base that it is very unlikely for trouble like this to go by unnoticed. And there are many variables involved, especially on major upgrades, hence the nod to gain clear-profile experience.

E.g., first thing that I did when having the infamous wrong-panel-size-widget-clipping bug, isolating the systray into a separate panel to see what was the culprit.
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum