Looking for a 'utility dashboard application'
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
javeree
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Looking for a 'utility dashboard application' Reply with quote

I have been looking for a type of application, but cannot find anything suitable.

I would like to have a window that I can fill with buttons or icons. Clicking a button would result in an action. This is basically what 'icons on a desktop' does, but I want to have it in a window. I want it to set up some dashboards to initiate scripts I've written (e.g. initiate a backup of all PCs in the networks, a row of buttons for waking up a PC through lan, ....)

The above is simple enough, but then come the additional features:

* Different actions should be possible depending on left, middle or right click
* Some buttons should be able to show a state. E.g. a mount/unmount button for a specific drive that should be depressed or colored differently when the drive is mounted.
* I'd like a 'button' or scrollbar that allows to set a value using the mouse and shortcut keys. Application would be e.g. something like a volume slider, or to quickly set a quota. As the voume can also be changed by other applications, the button should check e.g. every second what value it should display
* Buttons should appear or disappear dynamically based no some polling. E.g. there is a button to synchronize some data for each PC in the network, with the name of the PC as the button label, but only those PC's that are actually on the network should be represented.

A final requirement: the configuration of each buttonbar should be done per textfile. I don't want the desktop user (even if that's me) to see a configuration menu pop up on right clicking. If there is such a configuration menu, it should be possible to disable it from the configuration file.

The above 'requirements' are not really written in stone, but I have not even found anything that comes even close.
(FvwmButtonBar is close but is only usable in Fvwm, I use wbar for the most basic approach: clicking icons to start apps)

Suggestions anyone ?
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 8. Or any tile based DE.
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzen