dvd::rip, psu core no go
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billatq
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:00 am    Post subject: dvd::rip, psu core no go Reply with quote

I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this problem before, but after using dvd::rip (or dvdrip) to back up my vobs to the hard drive, I'm unable to convert them to a good avi file.

If I don't use the PSU core it appears to encode fine, but loses a/v sync. However, if I do use the PSU core, it doesn't encode at all. The failure for the PSU core mode looks like the following:

Code:
Wed Jul 24 01:58:42 2002 Starting task 'Analyzing title #10 (Pass 1/2)'...
Wed Jul 24 01:58:42 2002 Executing command: mkdir -m 0775 -p '/home/bill/dvdrip/ProjectBlue/tmp' && cd /home/bill/dvdrip/ProjectBlue/tmp && transcode -i /home/bill/dvdrip/ProjectBlue/vob/010 -a 0 -w 2379,250,100 -b 128,0,0 -s 1.737 --a52_drc_off  -V  -J 32detect=force_mode=3 -f 24,1 -g 720x480 -M 2 -B 0,10,8 -R 1 -x vob,null  -y xvid,null --psu_mode --nav_seek /home/bill/dvdrip/ProjectBlue/tmp/ProjectBlue-010-nav.log --no_split  -o /dev/null && echo DVDRIP_SUCCESS
Wed Jul 24 01:58:42 2002 Executing command: mkdir -m 0775 -p '/home/bill/dvdrip/ProjectBlue/tmp' && cd /home/bill/dvdrip/ProjectBlue/tmp && transcode -i /home/bill/dvdrip/ProjectBlue/vob/010 -a 0 -w 2379,250,100 -b 128,0,0 -s 1.737 --a52_drc_off  -V  -J 32detect=force_mode=3 -f 24,1 -g 720x480 -M 2 -B 0,10,8 -R 2 -x vob -y xvid --psu_mode --nav_seek /home/bill/dvdrip/ProjectBlue/tmp/ProjectBlue-010-nav.log --no_split  -o /home/bill/dvdrip/ProjectBlue/avi/010/ProjectBlue-010.avi && echo DVDRIP_SUCCESS
Wed Jul 24 01:58:42 2002 Continue this task with 'Transcoding title #10 (Pass 2/2)'
Wed Jul 24 01:58:42 2002 Task 'Transcoding title #10 (Pass 2/2)' finished.

Any suggestions?
kipper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem trying to use PSU core. Haven't had a chance to investigate the cause yet. Hope you find a solution.

Cheers,
kipper
jonner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:45 am    Post subject: PSU core Reply with quote

I have had mixed results using transcode with and without PSU. Most of the movies I've transcoded without the PSU core have had acceptible sync, but some have skew. I think I succeeded in using PSU on one title, but another one (Princess Mononoke) behaved strangely. When I used PSU, sync was good, but chunks were missing out of the encoded movie. Of course, these are transcode issues, not Gentoo and probably not dvd::rip.
Mallrats
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disabling PSU core fixed part of the problem
The second pass of mulitpass failed however. Anyone else with this problem?
Mr. Ust
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The --psu_mode flag requires a parameter called base. It looks like a bug in dvd::rip. Which codec are you using for multipass?
Mallrats
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only tried opendivx on multipass, I just tried singlepass with opendivx and it failed somwhere in the middle. I'm wondering if my problem was even multipass related, or if it was opendivx related, or ever worse, neither!
billatq
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the whole movie done with the psu engine disabled--however, I experienced some nasty a/v sync issues. I used the opendivx codec.

Bill
Mallrats
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used divx5 and the movie encoded just fine
Can someone show some comparisons of what's better: divx5 or opendivx? or do I want to know :-)
jonner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:23 am    Post subject: xvid Reply with quote

Have you noticed that the opendivx output plugin of transcode is deprecated? The OpenDivX project has changed its name to Xvid (DivX backward). You should use the xvid or xvidcvs plugin with transcode. I've used the xvidcvs one with good results. It's definitely more stable than opendivx was and faster than DivX, though the quality may be slightly worse. Then again, it may be just as good by now. It made me happy, since I could use all free software (FSF definition) instead of relying on the proprietary DivX.

The FFMPEG DivX encoder is also quite fast, since it's intended for realtime encoding, though its quality may not match the others. MPlayer and MEncoder use it, as well as some other tools.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: