Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED+GUIDE] How to install mesa-9999?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flamel666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED+GUIDE] How to install mesa-9999? Reply with quote

With the help of these remarkable gentlemen, i was able to install mesa-9999 on Gentoo. For these with difficulties too, i made this quick guide and i hope it helps!
1- Install your Gentoo with xorg-x11 meta package (instead of only xorg-server) + a window manager (like Sway/I3) or a desktop manager (like Gnome/Plasma/XFCE).
2- Install glslang with this command: emerge -a glslang
3- Now, open package.accept_keywords/mesa using nano/vim with this command: nano (or vim) /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/mesa
4- Once u opened It, type: >=media-libs/mesa-9999 ** , save and exit.
5- Now, just type emerge -a =media-libs/mesa-9999 and wait for the end of compilation :D That's it! Now u successfuly installed mesa-9999.

:ORIGINAL POST:

Hello guys, i need help installing mesa-9999.
I've never seen any tutorials on how to install it, but only 9999 packages in general.

Do i need to install other packages before it? Like llvm-9999 and gcc-9999 or libdrm-9999 and xorg-server-9999 (these two i found in this old thread from 2007: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-621551-start-0.html) or even both of them (gcc+llvm+libdrm+xorg-server)?

Did someone manage to install mesa-9999 before without issues?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by flamel666 on Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By design, a -9999 package reflects the current state of upstream's development. By the time I wrote this, your problem may have been resolved - or not. Please tell us why you need to install -9999 at all. Once that is established, tell us what you have done and what did not work. You found a 14 year old thread stating that live-versions were required back then. It is highly likely that in the intervening 14 years, the functionality required by mesa-9999 in 2007 has been released as stable.
flamel666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
By design, a -9999 package reflects the current state of upstream's development. By the time I wrote this, your problem may have been resolved - or not. Please tell us why you need to install -9999 at all. Once that is established, tell us what you have done and what did not work. You found a 14 year old thread stating that live-versions were required back then. It is highly likely that in the intervening 14 years, the functionality required by mesa-9999 in 2007 has been released as stable.

Hi Hu thanks for your reply! I need mesa-9999 for the videogames i play on Steam. Commonly, recent-launched games does require devolpment versions of mesa in order to run properly, like Cyberpunk 2077 did back in 2020.

Can u help me with this? Does mesa-9999 require other packages installed before?

Thanks in advance bro!
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot help you with this, because you have not told us what you need help with. What did you try, and how did it fail? mesa-9999 may require other live packages installed beforehand, or it may not. Moreover, that answer may change between when I write it and when you read it. That is the peril of using a live ebuild.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flamel666,

You really don't want to do this. When (not if it breaks), you set to keep the pieces.
Live packages change commit by commit, following upstream. If it won't build now, it may after you make coffee.
If it builds, it may not work.

You need to use the special keyword ** just for mesa and take it from there.
Using that keyword globally will break your install big time. That's a mistake you will only make once.

That gives you some pointers to the answer to your question.

You may need testing mesa but its unlikely that Steam could develop and test a game to need the commit by commit mesa.
Answer Hus question and we might be able to save you from yourself.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
flamel666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
I cannot help you with this, because you have not told us what you need help with. What did you try, and how did it fail? mesa-9999 may require other live packages installed beforehand, or it may not. Moreover, that answer may change between when I write it and when you read it. That is the peril of using a live ebuild.

Hey bro, sorry for late reply. I'm gonna answer ur questions in topics:
What did you try? - I tryed installing mesa-9999 as the default 9999 package installation method, did "nano /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/mesa" and then added ">=media-libs/mesa-9999 **" to it. After this, portage was able to find and try to install mesa-9999 when typing "emerge -a =media-libs/mesa-9999". I've tried also installing llvm-9999 first and mesa-9999 straight after it, but didn't succeded (llvm-9999 installs with success but mesa-9999 doesn't). I didn't try install mesa-9999+llvm-9999+gcc-9999 yet.
How did it fail? - To be honest i don't know what error is, since even portage doesn't specify it correctly, just says "Errors occurred while compiling mesa-9999 please check log at *some random directory*".... i can try to send the log here but i don't know to do this, since i'm trying to install Gentoo with mesa-9999 from scratch (BUT i can send some pics soon, because i'm reinstalling Gentoo and currently it's on "Update @World" of Handbook Guide. After it, i'll emerge kernel-bin and try installing mesa-9999 again, because this mesa requires a kernel installed first, or else it gives an error message like this: "No kernel modules found at /var/src/..." ). To send the log, do i need to copy it and paste on my usb drive?

Anyway, i can send the pic within 1 hour :D (the @world update doesn't take long on my system)

Thanks for your patience!
flamel666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
flamel666,

You really don't want to do this. When (not if it breaks), you set to keep the pieces.
Live packages change commit by commit, following upstream. If it won't build now, it may after you make coffee.

Using that keyword globally will break your install big time. That's a mistake you will only make once.

You may need testing mesa but its unlikely that Steam could develop and test a game to need the commit by commit mesa.

Hi Neddy! Thanks for ur reply!

Yes, i did the "**" thing to "/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/mesa" and added "=media-libs/mesa-9999 **" to it, so portage was able to find and install mesa-9999 when typing "emerge -a =media-libs/mesa-9999". However, the problem is building mesa-9999, it fails at the end of process :(
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flamel666 wrote:
NeddySeagoon wrote:
flamel666,

Yes, i did the "**" thing to "/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/mesa" and added "=media-libs/mesa-9999 **" to it, so portage was able to find and install mesa-9999 when typing "emerge -a =media-libs/mesa-9999". However, the problem is building mesa-9999, it fails at the end of process :(

that's the problem with mesa-9999 (live) ebuilds - it'll change on every commit :!:

you should rather look for a patch for current available mesa ebuild.

or did you try out the game with current available mesa-22.1.2 ebuild ?
flamel666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CooSee wrote:
flamel666 wrote:
NeddySeagoon wrote:
flamel666,

that's the problem with mesa-9999 (live) ebuilds - it'll change on every commit :!:

you should rather look for a patch for current available mesa ebuild.

or did you try out the game with current available mesa-22.1.2 ebuild ?

Hj CooSee thanks for ur reply!
"you should rather look for a patch for current available mesa ebuild." How can i do this?
"or did you try out the game with current available mesa-22.1.2 ebuild?" Normal mesa works oob with 99% games, but unfortunately It doesn't work with games released recently on Steam (like FFVII Remake which released about 4 days ago), that's why i need mesa devel.
flamel666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, i've managed to finish compiling the kernel and update @world. After it, tried to install mesa-9999 and got errors again, but now i took some pics of it and i'm linking them to this post (uploaded via Imgur).
Here're the links:
https://imgur.com/a/AmEY1jO
https://imgur.com/a/7Nb9ISj

Is there any fix for these errors? Or it's time to just give up completely?

Thanks in advance!
Leonardo.b
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flamel666, first complete your install, and later, from a confortable GUI enviroment, adjust it to your needs.
Don't worry about mesa right now.

I can see how you might need 9999 builds, if the game is released and tested only for Windows.
Why do you think you need mesa 9999?
Try mesa ~testing first.
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you start the game?

can you please try to start the game with the option -dx11 or -d3d11.

i'am not sure which option is the right one.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flamel666,

Your images just say 'it broke'. We need the build log.
Pastebin that with wgetpaste and post the URL you get.

If the ebuild it broken, that's a bug. If the mesa codebase is broken, that's an expected feature of any live package.

You need whatever version of mesa the game needs but that won't be a version that's only a few minuets old.
Steam need to test their games on Linux, don't they?

-- edit --
commit 0c3fae4e6e65b83cd6c61375f7be50566ee27e7c builds for me.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
flamel666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonardo.b wrote:
flamel666, first complete your install, and later, from a confortable GUI enviroment, adjust it to your needs.
Don't worry about mesa right now.

I can see how you might need 9999 builds, if the game is released and tested only for Windows.
Why do you think you need mesa 9999?
Try mesa ~testing first.

Hi Leonardo.b, thanks for ur reply!

As i mentioned earlier, games released less than a week does require mesa-git/mesa-devel (in Gentoo case, mesa-9999) to work properly, like Cyberpunk 2077 did back on its launch days. Users without mesa-git/devel weren't able to even launch the game using Valve's Proton and needed to wait for 1-3 months to be able to play Cyberpunk 2077 using mesa's normal version. And in my case, i'm planning to buy Uncharted Collection which will launch on Steam next month, so, i'll need to get mesa-git/devel installed on my system if i wanna play it at the launch days rather waiting for about 2 months to get it working with normal mesa.
BTW, are u brazilian/portuguese? I do speak portuguese and that would be easier for me if i could solve this issue with tips in portuguese.

Anyway, that's it :D
flamel666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CooSee wrote:
how do you start the game?

can you please try to start the game with the option -dx11 or -d3d11.

i'am not sure which option is the right one.

Hi CooSee, thanks for ur reply!

Unfortunately that's not the problem, i can play almost 99% of my Steam Library games with Proton-GE (whatever DX version is, like 9,10, 10.1, 11, 11,1, 11.2/3 or 12), but the point is get recent-launched games running on Linux like FFVII Remake or Uncharted Collection that'll launch next month. I don't wanna wait for months to finally get those games running on Linux :(, which sadly still occurs... mesa devs didn't fixed this mesa-git/devel for new games yet.
flamel666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
flamel666,

Your images just say 'it broke'. We need the build log.
Pastebin that with wgetpaste and post the URL you get.

If the ebuild it broken, that's a bug. If the mesa codebase is broken, that's an expected feature of any live package.

You need whatever version of mesa the game needs but that won't be a version that's only a few minuets old.

-- edit --
commit 0c3fae4e6e65b83cd6c61375f7be50566ee27e7c builds for me.

Hey man, thanks for ur patience!

I didn't know about this tool before. I'll use it now and send the log!
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also tried mesa-9999 manual way without installing.

it compiled without an error.

lets see what your log will say 8O
flamel666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's here guys, i got the build log. (It took 2 hours because i reinstalled Gentoo and tried compiling mesa-9999 just to upload the build log)
http://dpaste.com/25QKHZBUA

"Is it serious, doctor? :( "
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Program glslangValidator found: NO

please emerge dev-util/glslang and try again
---
and if you want to get rid of these color codes in log files, emerge app-text/ansifilter and add this to your make.conf:
Code:
PORTAGE_LOG_FILTER_FILE_CMD="bash -c \"ansifilter; exec cat\""

NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flamel666,

You will want the entire Xorg stack including a window manager.
Get the GUI working first then worry about mesa versions.

glslangValidator belongs to dev-util/glslang.

media-libs/mesa is pulled in by lots of things, including x11-base/xorg-server, which is probably not installed yet.
It's required your your desktop, its a verybadthing for your long term sanity to be building random packages.

Once it all works normally, you can try whatever version of mesa you want under it.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

Most games released via Steam are built for Windows only (perhaps macOS too, which I think often make use of Wine, or maybe used to at least), but it now includes a modified version of Wine (Proton) which allows for launching non-Linux games directly from the UI (while I think Wine is good, and the idea of Proton may seem neat, it's also making developers even less keen on offering native builds for Linux).

flamel666 wrote:
Unfortunately that's not the problem, i can play almost 99% of my Steam Library games with Proton-GE (whatever DX version is, like 9,10, 10.1, 11, 11,1, 11.2/3 or 12), but the point is get recent-launched games running on Linux like FFVII Remake or Uncharted Collection that'll launch next month. I don't wanna wait for months to finally get those games running on Linux :(, which sadly still occurs... mesa devs didn't fixed this mesa-git/devel for new games yet.

While it is true that sometimes something can be fixed in Mesa, it is definitely not a fact that all the new Windows games will require changes in it. It might even be more likely you will suffer from regressions more than enjoy the fixes (that being said, with a little bit of experience, it is fairly easy to give the "9999" version a go on Gentoo, and if things still don't work, then go back to a release version... and no, just to try that for Mesa you don't need to do the same for GCC and friends).

As mentioned though, when something breaks, you'll get to keep the pieces too (that never really shouldn't mean having to re-install your Gentoo though). I do that all the time myself, and it can be fun as well. :]

More often than not the issue(s) are due to unimplemented features/functions in Wine.

Using the FFVII Remake you mentioned as an example, and looking at the Valve Proton issue tracker, the reports on it mention no problems specific to Mesa, with version 21.2.5 being used [1]. That is about the first part though, while you might be referring to "INTERGRADE" which indeed is a newer release, and doesn't seem to have an issue created yet at the time of writing this.

1. https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/5415
Leonardo.b
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flamel666 wrote:
BTW, are u brazilian/portuguese? I do speak portuguese and that would be easier for me if

No, I am Italian, I don't speak portugese.
flamel666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
NeddySeagoon wrote:

Most games released via Steam are built for Windows only (perhaps macOS too, which I think often make use of Wine, or maybe used to at least), but it now includes a modified version of Wine (Proton) which allows for launching non-Linux games directly from the UI (while I think Wine is good, and the idea of Proton may seem neat, it's also making developers even less keen on offering native builds for Linux).

flamel666 wrote:

While it is true that sometimes something can be fixed in Mesa, it is definitely not a fact that all the new Windows games will require changes in it. It might even be more likely you will suffer from regressions more than enjoy the fixes (that being said, with a little bit of experience, it is fairly easy to give the "9999" version a go on Gentoo, and if things still don't work, then go back to a release version... and no, just to try that for Mesa you don't need to do the same for GCC and friends).

As mentioned though, when something breaks, you'll get to keep the pieces too (that never really shouldn't mean having to re-install your Gentoo though). I do that all the time myself, and it can be fun as well. :]

More often than not the issue(s) are due to unimplemented features/functions in Wine.

Using the FFVII Remake you mentioned as an example, and looking at the Valve Proton issue tracker, the reports on it mention no problems specific to Mesa, with version 21.2.5 being used [1]. That is about the first part though, while you might be referring to "INTERGRADE" which indeed is a newer release, and doesn't seem to have an issue created yet at the time of writing this.

1. https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/5415

Thanks for the information bro! I'll stay with mesa-9999 because i like the rolling-release model (mesa+kernel) and just to be sure that Uncharted will run on my Gentio at day one. Oh, and yes, when i said FFVII Remake was in reference to FFVII Remake Integrade which launched last week and i'm planning to buy Tuesday.
flamel666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonardo.b wrote:
flamel666 wrote:
BTW, are u brazilian/portuguese? I do speak portuguese and that would be easier for me if

No, I am Italian, I don't speak portugese.

Sorry, Leonardo is a very common name in Brazil and Portugal
flamel666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, finally i've managed to install full Xorg + glslang + window manager Sway and now i'm about to install mesa-9999, however, the ebuild letter is U instead of N or NS and there's a "[22.0.5]" (which is the current version of normal mesa) aside of media-libs/mesa-9999 on portage, like If portage would install mesa-9999 but with normal mesa components... I don't know how to describe precisely so i took a pic: https://imgur.com/a/JLbgBrV
Should i just press Enter and continue? Or uninstall normal mesa and replace with mesa-9999? (I don't know what letter U of ebuild means, that's why i'm in doubt)
Thanks in advance!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: