View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: starting gnome keyring in vnc Reply with quote

I am using pan newsreader and it annoyingly needs gnome-keyring to work at all. I am using lxde and if I login through the normal login screen gnome-keyring is started automatically. however, I want this to be done in a vnc. So I have two questions.

1) I have tried starting the gnome-keyring manually but it doesn't seem to work. Perhaps I am not starting it correctly or can I only have one running? How do I start it manually? I have logged in normally on lxde through the normal login method and gnome-keyring is running there, but I can't seem to start it on the vnc at all.

2) how do I start it automatically on the vnc?
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, i have been reading and I think i have a different problem.

I don't think i need to have to different instances of the keyring running. one is enough. however, for some reason i can't access the keyring.

if i start seahorse from the command line i get the error

couldn't connect to keyring daemon.
dbishop
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had problems with applications like Seahorse and Evolution not communicating with the gnome-keyring-daemon. In fact, I was involved in a fairly long thread about on the Gentoo Forum about 6 months ago on this very issue. At that time we all gave up. All very frustrating,no answers, no help, the Gnome people say it works in a pure local Gnome desktop environment so if you're not doing that, get lost.

It seems, though, that this problem relates somehow to dbus. I say that because just yesterday I "upgraded" Evolution 2.32 to 3.4.4 yesterday -- 2.32 could always read the gnome-keyring keystore but now 3.3.4 can't read or store any passwords (the keyring paths haven't changed between these versions -- it was and remains ~/.gnome2/keyrings/). The errors are the same as I had been getting with Seahorse and MySQL Workbench this past summer: can't communicate with the keyring daemon so nothing can read any passwords or store them. The difference is, I think, that Evolution 2.xx used environment variables to work with gnome-keyring-daemon whereas the new 3.xx versions seem to use dbus exclusively. An `lsof -c evolution | grep keyring` clearly shows that the libgnome-keyring.so.0.2.0 module is loaded, the pam modules are there, etc., etc. so it seems to be related to how the gnome-keyring libraries work -- which I believe is through dbus for any Gnome3-modeled application.

Or at least that's my working theory anyway.

It seems that the Zealots at Gnome are unconcerned with anything except establishing a "consistent look and feel" and "building the Gnome Brand" and hopefully forking the whole thing into a "Gnome OS" (see http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/gnome-os/). It seems that they have no problem frustrating the entire user base by continually breaking everything in the legacy Gnome and GTK ecosphere (just the sheer number of GTK theme developers jumping ship is itself awe inspiring). Lack of documentation seems to be the by-word and fundamentally changing interfaces even in minor releases is the norm. There is no man page for gnome-keyring-daemon and no online documentation (except an overview of the API which I cant make any use of for this issue). Making sure that nothing works unless run from the Gnome desktop environment using their SDK and API sounds eerily similar to Microsoft and Apple -- bizarre really since Gnome users became such to escape that fate. I guess the Gnome people have started focusing inward which means they are doomed since everyone that wants what they are endeavouring to offer already exists in Windows and Mac and the people using it now don't want anything to do with tha (except for the few sycophants that follow them as a religion).

At any rate I wouldn't mind working to figure out how gnome-keyring is really working and get it posted for others. There are a lot of folks running into this problem and the forum threads all just die without any solutions. They're almost all rooted in NOT running Gnome desktop (I use Enlightenment, with tons of complaints coming from XFCE users). Gnome developers see this as a high crime and those committing this heresy are just getting what they deserve (just look up what folks like Allan Day are saying (see https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/). Day said he didn't even know what XFCE was -- and he's one of the lead UX guys at Gnome (works for Red Hat too, like more and more of them are). Even Linus Torvalds has become frustrated by the GTK/Gnome shenanigans (see https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/posts/UkoAaLDpF4i)

Rant is over, sorry, just spent the last 24hrs trying to rescue my Gentoo boxes from getting too near the GTK3/Gnome3 event horizon. So if you want to try to get to the bottom of this, I'm game... :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: