Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pappy,

thanks for a quick reply and clearing things up. I am already recompiling my kernel with auditing turned on.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're most welcome. I just happened to see that there was a new email from this thread, so I jumped on it before I started whipping up some new seeds. They should be uploaded in about an hour or so. Glad I could help.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, there are new seeds in town. I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r142, 3.2.34-hardened-r2, and 3.6.8-hardened in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a chilly night here in Hollywood. While my USB ports are doing a dd operation for a friend, I've been busily crafting new seeds. I've just uploaded .configs for 3.0.54, 3.4.21, and 3.6.9 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears as if the main site in Pomona has gone down. I'm currently not there, so until further notice, please use one of the mirrors listed below. Just for grins, I recommend mirror 4. It's cool how quickly the site runs on a Raspberry Pi.

Cheers,
Pappy
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
It's cool how quickly the site runs on a Raspberry Pi.

Nice! Almost as fast as as the mirror on my VPS. 8)
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What blows my mind is how responsive its ssh is. It moves very quickly, and updates at about the same rate as your server. Last night, when I was updating everything, and things were actually working rather smoothly for not doing it at home, there was not a lot of visible difference in how quickly that site loaded versus the home site in Pomona, a mere thirty miles away.

Cheers,
Pappy
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! :)
cybermc75
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Excellent work Pappy!
I enjoyed your guide, and learned a lot.

PS:
I signal to the administrator that the link in the last page of THREAD #4 to THREAD #5 is broken:
It is

https://forums.gentoo.org/posting.php?mode=editpost&p=7184980

should probably be:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-942572-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-kernel+seeds-start-25.html

or something.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots more seeds today. I just uploaded .configs for 3.0.55, 3.2.35, and 3.4.22 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

cybermc75,

I see what you mean. That link should be https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-942572.html . NeddySeagoon, could you edit the link on the last page of the fourth thread and chance the link to the above URL, please? Thanks.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just uploaded .configs for 3.0.56, 3.4.23, 3.6.10, 3.6.10-gentoo, and 3.7.0 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Please note that I had a kernel panic with the 3.7.0 on a headless system. Not sure what it was about, but in case there is a real issue, I figured I'd give a heads-up.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a chilly and slightly annoying night here in Pomona. At least there was a new batch of source in portage. I've just uploaded .configs for 3.7.0-gentoo in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r143, 3.2.35-hardened, and 3.7.0-hardened in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are strange things happening with some of the mirrors. I hope it clears soon. The main site is up and running, though. I just uploaded .configs for 3.0.57, 3.4.24, 3.6.11, 3.6.11-gentoo, 3.7.1, and 3.7.1-gentoo in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seemed to have a hiccup on my VPS yesterday, but it only lasted a few seconds. Everything seems OK here. :)

FYI: The audiodef mirror may soon be changing to a sub-domain of gentoostudio.org. If/when that happens, the audiodef vhost will remain in place with a redirect. The new URL would make more sense, as audiodef.com is my music domain and gentoostudio.org is a Gentoo community project.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pappy,

I did swap out Pis for a few days, since I have a 512Mb one, to do an update. With the update complete, mirror 4 is now back on a 256Mb Pi.
That might account for mirror 4 being a bit sluggish.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was having a problem getting to audiodef's server via the web, and Moriah's server seems down as well. I hadn't noticed an issue with the Pi. It sure is a quick little bugger. It looks as if all is back to normal except for Moriah.

Cheers,
Pappy
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vpn tunnel was clobbered by an incompatible upgrade while I was out of town in Cleveland on a contract. I had done normal weekly updates the weekend before I left, but did not reboot any of the boxes. Monday afternoon a thunderstorm knocked out power longer than the ups could stay up, so the tunnel endpoint at my place went down. When power came back, it obviously rebooted, thus loading some stuff from that upgrade that had not been previously used on my vpn box. As fate would have it, it did not work with the older stuff at the other end in the colo room of my isp.

So I got on my ipad and rebooted the isp end, since I could no longer get to my own network, it was all I could do. Now both ends were broken!

After a grueling last week on the contract, I drove home and promptly got sick. Friday night I determined that the CD drive on vpn box at my end had also died. I had not used it in probably 2 years. I think it accumulated too much dust. So I swapped it out with another one I canabalized from a similar box whose power supply had died a few weeks earlier. Got that running again.

Then I discovered that the CD in the CD drive at the isp was so old that it still used hda instead of sda for ide drives. I had experienced problems with such a cd doing installs of the new kernels because it confuses lvm to be set up from the cd with hda, then when it boots the new kernel, it can only find sda

So I downloaded a nice fresh up to date minimal install cd. Now to burn it. I only burn a cd about once every 2 years, and the only cd burning software I could quickly find was for M$ win-xp. So I installed it on a win-xp vm under vmware, but it crashed when I tried to run it, probably because it wanted to take full manual control of the cd burner, and vmware wouldn't let it. So I killed the vm, but vmware was still hung, so I killed vmware and then rebooted my laptop to be sure no other damage was done. Everything came up ok, so far so good.

So I halted the laptop and swapped the boot drive with a win-xp installation and rebooted, then installed the cd burning software and copied the install cd to it and burned a gentoo install cd and tested it on the vpn box at my end to make sure it would boot.

Saturday I went to the isp (1 hour drive each way) to stick the new cd in the vpn box there. I took my ipad to test and make sure the vpn box would boot the new cd also. it did, so I drove home.

All this fiasco was going on while family was coming in from all over the country for Christmas, so I couldn't just go into the computer room and work for hours. I had to do my family duty and make a social appearance. Consequently, I do not really expect to have my network up until Wednesday at the earliest. :cry:

Also, Pappy, what new kernel should I install for a couple of boxes running Celerons at 2.5 GHz with 512 MB ram and a 40 GB IDE drive? I want these antiques to be as up to date as possible! :D

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moriah,

Good to see you back. I was starting to worry about you. I've got some running I need to do presently. I'll take a better look at your message when I get back. Good to see you. Happy holidays, belatedly.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking it was something out of your control. Sounds like a big batch of dominoes found their way to your system setup. Yikes.

At least you're okay. I would assume that you're not sick, or at least not too sick at the moment. :)

The 3.6.9 is the latest version I've personally used that I liked. 3.7.x seems broken to me. I know that they have yet to address the ndiswrapper issue I've run into with that source version. Once you get a good 3.6.9 kernel going, then update to 3.7.1 or later to see how it works for you and those machines. As long as you don't need to support exotic devices, you should be good.

My latest geek attack is FreeBSD. I don't know if you've ever used it, but ports, the FreeBSD portage equivalent, is onerous on a good day. On a bad day, it can feel like a soul-devouring demon, eating my brain. There have been many bad days.

I can't get a simple libpng update to fully compile. Some dependent packages have yet to be compiled because when things crash, you have to start back at package number one. With portage, you get clues, you can set defaults, not be tied to answering questions through outdated ANSI graphics. I can't get kde3 to re-install, and it's sort of breakin' my brain.

I have a few more ideas to try on the install I have now before I decide to go with the FreeBSD/Gentoo hybrid that basically marries FreeBSD and portage. It's going to be interesting, no matter what I do. hehehe.

I am happy to see you're back. I was hoping that it was only a digital snafu, and nothing worse, and it appears that's the case. Cool! Let me know when things get back on an even keel with your setup.

Cheers,
Pappy
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pappy, a big batch of dominoes indeed -- feels like the whole box of dominoes!

Add to all of what I said earleir the constant need to do family/holidays things that has almost totally occupied my time this week. Wednesday was the first time I got to attack this problem. Yesterday I had to go the the unemployment office, since my last 2 contracts were W2. Last night was more holiday celebration at my brother in law's place an hour away. Today I did some more work on it. Still not there yet. :(

I just fetched the latest default "emerge gentoo-sources", which turned out to be 3.5.7; that will have to be good enough, since it installed effortlessly, thanks to your seeds! :D

Now to get my firewall scripts working again. They have suffered from bit rot. They were first written in 2004, then updated as needed over the years. This new "conntrack" thing is my main problem, plus the syntax change that requires the ! to preceded the -s or -d or whatever, instead of following it.

I am trying to get things running again by downgrading my iptables to >net-firewall/iptables-1.4.13 instead of the latest and the greatest, so I can at least get my network connected to the internet again. You wouldn't believe all the coat hangers and duct tape I have thrown together to get connected enough to even work on this problem! :evil:

Ever try installing a complete gentoo system on a box 50 miles away? Thank goodness for my ipeps and iboot! Also, my ipad has been a big help too! :twisted:

Well, knowing your own beliefs, allow me to wish you a good solstice and yule season! :D

pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't quite say that I've had to deal with setting up Gentoo a few miles from home, but I have dealt with FreeBSD's ports system locally. Wow! I will never, EVER badmouth portage again.

Talk about a serious clusterfuck. A simple libpng update killed KDE3. Killed it dead! I could recover everything else, but KDE3 had to be removed and re-installed before it would recover from the pounding it took over one little file change. Their tools are sparse, and not all that good for the purpose for which they were made. I have found a few tools that help mediate the irritation that can be ports, but that's very few indeed.

I am planning on setting up the FreeBSD/Gentoo hybrid on another hard drive. It has the stability and sturdiness of FreeBSD, but the ease of portage.

I'm kind of glad I don't have a lot of family. My family was never really all that to me. I was the black sheep, so whatever. The only regret is that I didn't have as good a relationship with my father as I would have liked. I was too tied into the rest of my family sickness, and didn't realize that most of the issues with dad were not with dad and I, but dad and my psychotic older sister.

No big rush on getting the server up and running. I realize that this time of year has a tendency to make people a little crazy trying to keep up with it all. I'm actually happy that it's almost over again, for another year. So, just enjoy things, and get the server up when you can.

Cheers, and thanks for the holiday greeting...
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that yesterday was my five year anniversary here at the Gentoo Forums. How cool is that?

Cheers,
Pappy
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the craziness in party/family schedule will end Wednesday, but I had better have my network back online by then, because I am looking for a new contract, and right now nobody can get to my resume, and I have no email. :evil:

Add to that the fact that a good friend and his wife will be in Indianapolis today, and my wife and I are supposed to go see him this afternoon, but there is a winter storm warning out. :?

He will only be there today and tomorrow, and I cannot go tomorrow. I don't know if the roads will be passable or not.

pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't I glad I'm here in Pomona. It's a bit chilly at 43 degrees, but that's not even cold enough for snow.

When it comes to winter driving, my philosophy is give it your best go, bring a survival kit, drive slowly, but if and only if you have no other choice. If you do have a choice, then stay inside, have some hot cocoa, watch TV, or work on the computers.

While I haven't completely escaped winter here, I'm more than willing to accept the fact that the temperature hasn't gone down to freezing, yet. Local legend says it can happen, but not that often. It happens more frequently here than any of the seaside areas, as the San Gabriel Mountains have a tendency to block the ocean's moderating effect.

Take care if you do go out.

Cheers,
Pappy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: