View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Btoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Suspend, hibernate will not stay "asleep" on secon Reply with quote

Hi all, I have both sleep and hibernation working and prefer sleep because of the speed of wake-up vs the slower hibernation "reboot". Problem is I would like to put the computer to sleep more than once before a power off or reboot but I have to always power off after the first sleep because it immediately re-awakens on the second attempt.

On the second sleep attempt the computer goes all the way to sleep but then wakes up immediately with no input. I would guess it has something to do with swap containing all the necessary info to wake up since it did so already the first time. I would guess, but have no real idea why this is happening.

Last edited by Btoo on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Btoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to fix this by checking /proc/acpi/wakeup to see what was enabled to wake the system. /proc/acpi is a deprecated kernel item but was very useful for troubleshooting. Digging around in /sys/power/state was a pain and not particularly useful.

In /proc/acpi/wakeup my usb devices were all that were enabled. Strangely the power button was not listed at all. Changes to /proc/acpi/wakeup are NOT persistent across reboots or even awaking from suspend.

Then after some googling pm-utils and reading many pages I came across disabling the USB driver modules xhci_hcd and ehci_hcd on suspend, which pm-utils will re-enable on wakeup.

To disable the USB modules, well first I had to check which drivers were in use with lspci -k. I should not that if your usb drivers are not compiled as modules they will need to be for this to work, which I needed to do myself.

Then I added a file to /etc/pm/config.d/

Code:
#modules (file name)
SUSPEND_MODULES="xhci_hcd ehci_hcd"

These two modules will be suspended in terms of wakeup, this means my usb keyboard and mouse will NOT wake the computer. I can now use the power button to wake the computer and accidental mouse movement will not wake up the machine ( an annoyance for sure). Many posts I have read are searching for the exact opposite of this solution. People have been having trouble getting the usb to wake the computer.

The only issue I have now is that on the second or subsequent suspends the Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard are inactive until I unplug and replug in the wireless USB receiver. So the modules are reloaded but the state information is lacking. Short of getting a PS/2 keyboard I would rather fix this. I would guess I could restart or SIGHUP? to re-detect the USB. Any help with this would be appreciated!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: