View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Dolphin broken, fails to create io-slave [workaround] Reply with quote

Dolphin developed a strange issue: When launched it fails to display any files,
giving instead an empty window eith the message:

Code:

Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Error loading '/usr/lib/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so'.

after some searching, I found that giving:

$ dbus-launch dolphin

gets it all working again, but I don't know why, or how to resolve the underlying issue.
Code:

jesnow@armstrong ~ $ dbus-launch dolphin
kf5.kio.core: Refilling KProtocolInfoFactory cache in the hope to find "mtp"
Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString.
Cannot creat accessible child interface for object:  PlacesView(0xa27dac8)  index:  18
klauncher not running... launching kdeinit
kdeinit5: Shutting down running client.
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
kf5.kio.trash: listdir:  QUrl("trash:/")
Qt: Session management error: networkIdsList argument is NULL
klauncher: Exiting on signal 15
jesnow@armstrong ~ $ ^C

looks like dbus was somehow wedged and giving it an explicit launch make dbus restart
itself. I suspect that maybe restarting dbus would have dome the trick. This seems to
be a workaround for anybody who runs in to this issue and hopefully some clues for any
body who sets out to fix it.

Cheers,

Jon.

[Moderator edit: changed [quote] tags to [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
phd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noted the similar problem. In my case this depends how the KDE5 session is started. I do not use SDDM but start KDE manually from the console. If KDE is started as
Code:
$ startx

then all is correct. But then, the console, say F1, from which KDE was started is still open to hack, e.g. Ctrl Alt F1 and next Ctrl-C kill KDE session independently the KDE session is locked on the screen or not. Therefore, in the case of KDE4 I used
Code:
$ startx & logout

Unfortunately, for KDE5 such kind startx has been blocked - at least doesn't work in my case. Therefore, I do this in two steps, at the first step
Code:
$ startx &

and thanks to disconnecting startx from the console in the next step
Code:
$ logout

Additionally, the internet connection is not started at the boot. It seems that the case the internet is started or not can also have some effect.
Opening gwenview
Code:
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR points to non-existing path '/var/run/user/1000', please create it with 0700 permissions.
kf5.kio.core: KIO Connection server not listening, could not connect
kf5.kio.core: couldn't create slave: "Nie można utworzyć gniazda do uruchomienia io-slave dla protokołu 'file'."
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR points to non-existing path '/var/run/user/1000', please create it with 0700 permissions.

dbus-launch dolphin gives then
Code:
$ dbus-launch dolphin
kf5.kio.core: Refilling KProtocolInfoFactory cache in the hope to find "stash"
Cannot creat accessible child interface for object:  PlacesView(0x252e460)  index:  23
kf5.kio.core: couldn't create slave: "Nie można utworzyć gniazda do uruchomienia io-slave dla protokołu 'file'."
kf5.kio.core: couldn't create slave: "Nie można utworzyć gniazda do uruchomienia io-slave dla protokołu 'trash'."
kf5.kio.core: "Nie można utworzyć io-slave. Nie można utworzyć gniazda do uruchomienia io-slave dla protokołu 'trash'."

For me, it looks like KDE5 started from console wants to fix something with the internet during the startx. For example, if the internet connection is established before startx then the mentioned problem with io-slave does not appear.

Edit:
Maybe it is related to some servises started from the console before plasma is started. For example, if I login as the root to start dhcp before startx I got
Code:
# dhcpcd
dev: loaded udev
no interfaces have a carrier
forked to backgroud
# logout
login: user
password: xxxxxx
~ $  startx &
~ $ ...
~ $ logout

After logout from console the running programs of KDE become to have a problem with opening files. This suggests that some services started from the console and used next by KDE programs are killed then, and KDE5 started is no longer in position to share the services.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: