Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Budoka,

Your missing firmware is provided by the linux-firmware package. You need to emerge that.
As you have only provided a dmesg fragment, we cannot tell if iwlwifi is mad ad a module or made built into your kernel.

Whatever you have done with iwlwifi, you must do with the firmware it needs too. That why its much easer to make iwlwifi a loadable kernel module.

/home is a directory for all your users. Each user should have a /home/<username> directory whey they own.
Thats where Xorg will try yo write files when your normal user runs startx.
Did you forget the -m flag to useradd when you made your normal user?

Update:

I am not sure if the wiki, http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wifi is out of date but the firmware it had me emerge,
Code:
ntel Centrino Advanced-N 6230, Wireless-N 1030, Wireless-N 130    iwlwifi    sys-firmware/iwl6030-ucode
, clearly didn't work. I took your advice and emerged linux-firmware but had to remove the previous firmware first because emerge spit out a conflict error. I also emerged Network-management and now I have my wifi working. Thank you!!!

But I am curious, do I need to recompile my kernel again so that iwlwifi and my firmware match as you indicated? Here is my full dmesg: http://bpaste.net/show/76745/

I created my user as instructed in the manual. http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?full=1#book_part1_chap11
Quote:
Login: root
Password: (Your root password)

# useradd -m -G users,wheel,audio -s /bin/bash john
# passwd john
Password: (Enter the password for john)
Re-enter password: (Re-enter the password to verify)
of course using my own user name. Is there something missing? Since I chowned user.user afterwards should I change it back to root:root 755? I would like to keep my system as neat as possible.

Of course I have lots of other stuff to ask now but think it would be best to start other threads to ask.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka,

There is no need to rebuild anything, as you say, it works.

Out of the four possible combinations for driver and firmware, only two combinations work.
Both the driver and firmware build into the kernel binary - works
Both the driver and firmware as modules, installed on the root filesystem (in /lib/modules and /lib/firmware) works.

One part in the kernel, the other on the root filesystem always fails as the two parts cannot find one another.

This its why is best to build things that need firmware as modules unless their is some compelling reason not to.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: