View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfalfa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:45 am    Post subject: No sound Reply with quote

I was following the instructions in the Desktop Guide about getting sound. So I was going to do this step:

# nano -w /etc/modules.d/alsa

My soundcard is this: SiS 7018 PCI. Is there a list of modules to choose from somewhere? Actually, I found some here:

/usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r7/drivers/sound/

but there don't seem to be any SiS modules. What should I do? Is there a second module that I could choose? Thanks
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears as though there are four SiS sound cards supported by alsa. They can be found at http://www.alsa-project.org/~goemon/. Don't ask me why this isn't in the Desktop Guide. I didn't see yours listed, but they all have three digit names and one of them is also called by a four digit number (name). I would think that this could mean that your actual card is supported. You might want to look into it. If it's not, one of them uses the intel8x0 driver, so that might be something you could try.
alfalfa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding. Yeah, I did see that page, and when I tried using the intel8x0, this is what I got at startup (the same as when I 'modprobe intel8x0'):

/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: insmod snd-intel8x0 failed

Now, maybe I'm confused. This isn't a frankenstein pc, I just bought it all at once, and don't know too much about pc hardware, so maybe I'm not providing the right info. I had Mandrake installed before, and took a screenshot from my hardware config stuff, and this is what it says:

Card config:
SiS 7018 PCI Audio at 0xd000, irq 11

Audio devices:
0: Trident 4DWave (DUPLEX)

Any ideas?
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried all the SiS drivers listed on that Alsa Matrix? Have you tried a Trident driver? There are trident 4D Wave drivers on that page. I would also try the SiS 740 and 745 as they may be the same thing as a 7018. I'm not sure what the difference is between a SiS card and a Trident audio device unless SiS made the card and just put a Trident chip on it.
echeslack
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalfa wrote:

/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: insmod snd-intel8x0 failed

In my experience that often means that you haven't specified the right parameters on the options line in your aliases file. You may have to specifically tell the module where to look for the sound card, i.e. tell it the io port and the irq, and sometimes some other parameters. However, I couldn't find a list of parameters for that module :(. Google it or do a thorough search of the ALSA site.

Also, now that I think about it, if it is a common computer, you can try searching for the name and model on google paired with "linux" and you may find people that have had similar problems with the configuration. This is more common for laptops, but there are people who have put up pages for specific desktop models.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: