Strange behaviour of automatic wake up
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
publiosulpicio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Strange behaviour of automatic wake up Reply with quote

I would like to use my gentoo box as an alarm clock, using cron to start vlc. This is easy, but I do not want to have the computer on all the night. I found this how to very useful http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1714793 (it is for ubuntu, but it needs very small modifications to work in gentoo). Essentially, it uses /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm to automatically turn on the computer at a specified time. If I do something like
Code:

sh -c 'echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm'
sh -c 'echo `date "+%s" -d "+ 5 minutes"` >/sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm'

it works very well: I turn off the computer and it turn on by itself in 5 minutes.

The problem is that if the scheduled time for automatic wake up is for tomorrow, it does not work. When I set it everything seems ok
Code:

cat /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm

is correct, but the computer does not wake up. The strange thing is that cat /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm reports random alrm_time and alrm_date if I check them after the scheduled time (they were correct when I turned off the pc). This happens even if the scheduled time is a few hours in the future (but in the next day), it seems something happens at midnight (or in the night).

Any ideas on how to solve this? Thank you!
publiosulpicio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the the problem is not midnight or something like that. It seems that the automatic wake up works only if I turn off the computer and I do not turn it on until it does this automatically. If I set the wake up, turn off and turn on and then turn off another time (of course everything happens before the scheduled time) then it won't turn on on.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: