Replacing a damaged CPU with another one
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nerhun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Replacing a damaged CPU with another one Reply with quote

Hi,

My AMD Phenom I CPU has fried a few days ago. Then, I installed my older Athlon x2 to the motherboard and my dual boot Windows seems to work fine now.

However, my Gentoo is now barely bootable, not usable, I can't shut down the PC and can't compile anything. I suspect that it is about "-march=native" option of my CFLAGS, which means my system is optimized for a Phenom I CPU instead of Athlon x2.

I tried remaking the kernel for the new CPU and running an "emerge -e system" from a Gentoo live CD, but failed as the gcc and other system components are configured for another CPU.

I would appreciate if you can guide me.

Best regards, Nerhun
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did you "fry" it?

What errors do you get, theoretically if it really was -march problems it' should show up as "invalid instruction" errors (if at all) and die pretty early on, but not randomly crash...

You may need to use the livecd and use that from a chroot to try...

I've found that most binaries compile the same, it's the kernel, libc, and performance tuned applications that takes the most processor specific instructions...

(Note: this is from the P4/Athlon days, I've not seen what AMD64 CPUs are like. I had a system built for a P4 and it would simply not work with an Athlon system.)
nerhun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how did you "fry" it?

In fact, the motherboard is fried after a power outage. Now it supports Athlon X2, but does not boot with a Phenom I. The problem is probably about memory controller structure of AM2+ sockets. In other words, now it works as a motherboard with an AM2 socket, instead of AM2+. I know, I should replace the motherboard before it blows up my system, and I will ASAP.
Quote:
You may need to use the livecd and use that from a chroot to try...

Already done that, does not work with on my PC, or any Athlon X2 box.
Quote:
What errors do you get, theoretically if it really was -march problems it' should show up as "invalid instruction" errors (if at all) and die pretty early on, but not randomly crash...

The error during kernel menuconfig:
Code:
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
<built-in>:0:0: internal compiler error: in ten_to_ptwo, at real.c:2246
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <http://bugs.gentoo.org/> for instructions.
make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
make: *** [scripts_basics] Error 2

It dies before running X, but I can use basic functions of bash. And of course it is not random, it crashes at the same instructions.

But, I found another PC with a Phenom I CPU, transferred my hard disks to it, boot it with live CD, and removed the -march option. The kernel compiled fine after that and "emerge -e system" is still running without any errors.

I will post the results as soon as I get them.

Edit: This is not a real solution even if it works, I am still curious about the solution if I hadn't had access to a Phenom I box.

Last edited by nerhun on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the time it usually means it's time to reinstall, or at least overwrite the broken pieces with working pieces (like doing something ugly like untarring the stage3 over your install or another place). You'll definitely need a helper install like that stage3 that can build binaries...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: