View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mi_unixbird
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found _one_ cause of a crash. Whenever I go to https://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut it crashes on me, I've reproduced this three times in a row now.

Other youtube pages do not crash on me like that.

Edit, and after clearing my youtube cookies it no longer crashes. That's quite interesting.
mi_unixbird
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I think I have fully fixed it now, it was pretty stupid. I always ignore and delete all the etc-update shit without much thinking because they tend to overwrite my configs. This time however I should've paid more attention, the chrome-binary-plugins etc-update of course needed to set the flags to appropriately use the path of the new flash browser.

Still though, I'm not comfortable with this. This seems to imply that a user without root access can crash the system by manipulating that variable. That should surely not be able to happen right? Or does the flash plugin actually include something setuid or a kernel module. If not, then it's a kernel flaw in my opinion. A non root normal user process behaving improperly should never be able to bring the entire system to a halt.
thunderrd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems here using Firefox and flash plugin OR Firefox and html5. I would guess that is a browser-related issue.

You can't run etc-update without root, how can a non-root user *manipulate the variable*?
mi_unixbird
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunderrd wrote:
You can't run etc-update without root, how can a non-root user *manipulate the variable*?
This specific configuration file just sets extra command line arguments in an environment variable when chromium is started. Specifically, this is in the file:

Code:
CHROMIUM_FLAGS="${CHROMIUM_FLAGS} --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib64/chromium-browser/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=20.0.0.248"

The --papi-flash-version being wrong was what seemed to have caused the crashes, it has not crashed on me since by watching youtube pages. But the issue is, you can just run chromium as non root and pass that flag manually in the wrong way. Unless I understand something wongly about linking the .so, it seems to me you can just put that file into your home directly if you want, link to it that way and pass the wrong version to crash an entire system by going to a youtube page. That should surely not be possible of a multi-user system?
Myu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ck-users !

I've some trouble understanding why noop is still registred as my default i/o scheduler on my SSD but not on my HDD ... could someone give me an idea where to look ?

It looks like Linux automatically choose to put noop on the SSD and BFQ everywhere else, maybe it makes sense but I would like to know why out of curiosity...

dmesg looks happy :

Code:
[    0.293432] io scheduler noop registered
[    0.293579] io scheduler bfq registered (default)
[    0.293723] BFQ I/O-scheduler: v7r8
[    0.748630] BFS CPU scheduler v0.464 by Con Kolivas.

Code:
myu@Dwarf /home/myu/Desktop ~$ cat /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
[noop] bfq
myu@Dwarf /home/myu/Desktop ~$ cat /sys/block/sdb/queue/scheduler
noop [bfq]
myu@Dwarf /home/myu/Desktop ~$ cat /sys/block/sdc/queue/scheduler
noop [bfq]

I'm using Linux 4.1.6-ck

Cheers and a happy new year =)
Myu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ck-users,

Is there any plan for a 4.3-based ck release ?

Linux 4.3.3-3 fix the rather serious CVE-2016-0728.

On a side note, is making the ck-ebuild version bumps difficult ? I've a rather small experience with ebuild(s) but some good will and free time to invest so maybe I can help.

EDIT : If your kernel .config does not include CONFIG_KEYS then there's no need for a patch.

Last edited by Myu on Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myu wrote:
Linux 4.3.3-3 fix the rather serious CVE-2016-0728.

Myu ... are you sure, 4.3.3 is from 2015-12-15, and generally you'd have a version bump for a CVE.

Myu wrote:
On a side note, is making the ck-ebuild version bumps difficult ? I've a rather small experience with ebuild(s) but some good will and free time to invest so maybe I can help.

No, not terribly. All you need to is check that K_GENPATCHES_VER matches that of the same gentoo-sources release, and that CK_VERSION matches whatever is available from C. Kolivas. So,

ck-sources-4.3.3.ebuild:
K_GENPATCHES_VER="4"
[...]
CK_VERSION="3"

best ... khay
Myu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Myu ... are you sure, 4.3.3 is from 2015-12-15, and generally you'd have a version bump for a CVE.

Yeah I've not be clear enough, this is from Arch Linux, it correspond to gentoo-sources-4.3.3-r1

Quote:
No, not terribly. All you need to is check that K_GENPATCHES_VER matches that of the same gentoo-sources release, and that CK_VERSION matches whatever is available from C. Kolivas. So

That's interesting. I will take a look when I get the chance, hopefully soon !

Thanks Khay.
Myu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for any spam if you're subscribed to this topic but I thought I would share my ck-sources ebuild for ck-sources-4.3.3-r1 if anyone wants it; here it is :

https://bpaste.net/show/70f29b143570 ( expires in 1 month )

Works fine : Linux Dwarf 4.3.3-ck-r1-gnu #1 SMP Thu Jan 21 18:27:31 CET 2016 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myu wrote:
Sorry for any spam if you're subscribed to this topic but I thought I would share my ck-sources ebuild for ck-sources-4.3.3-r1 if anyone wants it; here it is:

Myu ... note that bpaste will serve up the file (raw) as DOS (CRLF line terminators) so it will need to be converted (ie, via app-text/dos2unix) before building the digest (portage expects plain ascii).

Code:
% wget --quiet -O - https://bpaste.net/raw/70f29b143570 | file -
/dev/stdin: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators

If you wanted to continue bumping you could create bug reports and attatch ebuilds, or create a github (or similar) account to host an overlay.

best ... khay
Myu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi khay,

Quote:
Myu ... note that bpaste will serve up the file (raw) as DOS (CRLF line terminators) so it will need to be converted (ie, via app-text/dos2unix) before building the digest (portage expects plain ascii).

Odd, I didn't know that, TIL thanks !

I don't mind continuing bumping this ebuild, if it helps, I would gladly keep track of it and keep it as up-to-date as possible, and why not through proxy-maintaining ? We'll see I guess.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myu, et al ...

here is a diff against your 4.3.3-r1 for ck-sources-4.3.4

diff ck-sources-4.3.3-r1.ebuild ck-sources-4.3.4.ebuild:
17c17
< K_GENPATCHES_VER="5"
---
> K_GENPATCHES_VER="6"

... didn't build but the patches apply as expected.

best ... khay
thunderrd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, the hnaparst overlay [ https://github.com/hnaparst/overlay] is keeping up with ck updates regularly - good work by Harold Naparst.

Add the overlay with layman and emerge from there. I've used the last 3 versions with no problems at all, now on 4.5.4.
thunderrd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above overlay I referred to now has an updated ck-sources-4.7.0. I have tested it and it builds correctly and boots, although some patching is needed [on the drivers, not the kernel] if you use the proprietary nvidia-drivers.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's time I jump ship from zen-kernel to this; I got bitten by the CONFIG_SMT_NICE thing which that ebuild already patched. Would've saved me hours of hopeless confusion...

Having said that, I'm currently running 4.7.0 on CFS + cpufreq_schedutil with no problems. The new thing handles medium-high load way better than ondemand ever did. Should be even better without CFS :)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, after a bit more experimentation it looks like the combination of BFS+schedutil is what causes a crash. So... don't use that in 4.7.0.
thunderrd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: ck-sources with new MuQSS scheduler Reply with quote

The hnaparst overlay I have referred to before is keeping up-to-date on recent developments with Con's work - namely the new scheduler, intended to eventually replace BFS, named MuQSS:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7972188.html?sid=5cb1077b6878a13ff4ef8bb0375e541a

https://ck-hack.blogspot.com.au/
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is ck-sources the only kernel right now offering the BFQ IO scheduler? I'm with ck-sources for a long time and need to test an issue on gentoo-sources-4.11.0. Emerged with USE="experimental" but the BFQ is not there.
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PF-sources does have BFQ, but its not updated to 4.11 in main portage yet. You can probably find it from an overlay, or download and patch manually from
https://pf.natalenko.name/
----
https://dev.gentoo.org/~mpagano/genpatches/trunk/4.11/
You can also manually patch BFQ with patches found from here, they will be added to gentoo-sources-4.11.1 if you want to wait for that.
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to figure out the benefits of pf-sources over ck-sources... -cf and BFQ patches are already part of ck-sources. But then there is 4. [m] graysky's kernel GCC patch. According README that should offer Native optimizations autodetected by GCC -march=native.

But that I already have that option in ck-sources and gentoo-sources.
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, nowadays there really isnt a reason to use pf-sources over ck-sources. Pf-sources used to have UKSM patch, tuxonice patches, aufs patch... maybe more. If you want something thats hot right now, you could try https://liquorix.net/ liquorix-sources. IVe seen it in some overlay as well, but manually patching isnt hard either.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFQ is in vanilla 4.12, so you won't need that patch soon.
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:
Yes, nowadays there really isnt a reason to use pf-sources over ck-sources. Pf-sources used to have UKSM patch, tuxonice patches, aufs patch... maybe more. If you want something thats hot right now, you could try https://liquorix.net/ liquorix-sources. IVe seen it in some overlay as well, but manually patching isnt hard either.
Any reason to prefer sys-kernel/liquorix-sources from stuff overlay to ck-sources? Curiously the installed sources are named like old pf-sources: linux-4.10.16-pf1/

liquorix brings some more settings and patches beside MuQSS and BFQ which are already in ck-sources.

When it comes to IO and IO schedulers I had issues with slow block devices, so here I'm going for more ram caching now:
Code:
# sysctl -a | grep dirty.*ratio
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 20
vm.dirty_ratio = 50

But what should really make a difference here now is this patch since 4.10+(https://lwn.net/Articles/682582/), which should be available in all the kernels, though I'm on 4.10.14-ck currently:
Code:
# zgrep BLK_WBT /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_BLK_WBT=y
CONFIG_BLK_WBT_SQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_WBT_MQ=y

Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look at pf-sources for that UKSM and that sounds really interesting even on Desktop systems. Not sure if it is worth the Cpu load if I have plenty of RAM space anyway. Not sure how much duplication there is on usual desktops with browser and stuff.

One thing I wondered about, I'm running liquorix-sources now, thinking it is all the -cf sources plus more. But now I see liquorix has only cherry-picked the MuQSS and dropped all the rest of ck patches likes this:
http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/4.0/4.11/4.11-ck2/patches/
Is that right?
So finally I'm staggering again about wether to take liquorix, -pf or -ck.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: