Joined: 26 Oct 2012
|Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:01 am Post subject: Does Gnome 3.X's keyboard layout switcher work?
|Just to be clear here, I'm not trying to do either of the following:
- Get a method to change keyboard layout (since I am perfectly aware of both xorg.conf and setxkbmap methods, and have had to make use of such workarounds many times already).
- Gripe unproductively about various bugs in Gnome 3's keyboard layout GUI tools (although I am sorely tempted, because I have Strong Opinions on the matter).
What I am trying to do is figure out under what circumstances, and to what extent, if any, the GUI interfaces work, so that I can make a note of some combination of packages that work, and/or decide whether to push for a bug fix in a relevant place. So if Gnome's keyboard layouts work for you (or you know some details about why it might not work for me), please let me know.
In my case, if I make no xorg.conf changes, I find the following in Gnome 3.4:
- The keyboard layout seems OK until I log out and back in, but the keyboard layout indicator in the panel stops working after that. (It always shows that the top layout in the list is set, and selecting another option has no effect.)
- Most shortcuts to change layout simply never work (e.g. right-ctrl-right-shift). In combination with the above, this makes it impossible to change the layout without a workaround like setxkbmap.
- Other layout options, such as changing the behavior of caps lock, or alternative number pad layout, seem to have no effect as well.
I have searched in quite a few places to try to find the cause of this, but have had a few problems:
- Many people solve various keyboard layout problems using setxkbmap and/or xorg.conf changes, which is great for them, but it means that most forum posts and bug reports don''t help me. Either the problem is unresolved, or the user fixes it using a method that reveals little-to-nothing about the nature of the bug.
- Anyone who has this working out-of-the-box is unlikely to go out of their way to say so, so I can't tell how many people, (most? none?), have keyboard layouts "just work".
- Of the already-triaged bugs I've found, none seems to list exactly the symptoms I have, leaving me guessing about what combinations of bugs could cause my particular issues.
- I presume that these tools must work for some Gnome developers themselves, but I have no data regarding why it works for them and not for others.
In any case, any information regarding these issues would be helpful.