Why doesn't autounmask work here?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Why doesn't autounmask work here? Reply with quote

Code:
# emerge =pf-sources-3.6.4 --autounmask-write --autounmask=y
Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=pf-sources-3.6.4" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- sys-kernel/pf-sources-3.6.4::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Richard Yao <ryao@gentoo.org> (24 Oct 2012)
# Mask kernel versions affected by ext4 corruption regression bug #439502

For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

localhost ~ # emerge -V
Portage 2.2.0_alpha141 (default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop, gcc-4.7.2, glibc-2.15-r3, 3.6.4-pf x86_64)
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not on my Gentoo PC, so I can't check. I suspect autounmask only with unstable packages, and not with hard masked packages.
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mask was applied yesterday, which might explain why you have already installed pf-sources-3.6.4 without any problem previously.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter4 ...

The package is hardmasked ... the reason for sys-kernel/pf-sources-3.6.4 being hardmasked and the subsequent unmasking is explained in bug #439502

best ... khay
peter4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
peter4 ...

man emerge
Quote:
--autounmask [ y | n ]
Automatically unmask packages and generate package.use settings as necessary to satisfy dependencies. This option is enabled by default. If any configuration changes are required, then they will be displayed after the merge list and emerge will immediately abort. If the displayed configuration changes are satisfactory, you should copy and paste them into the specified configuration file(s), or enable the --autounmask-write option. The EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS variable may be used to disable this option by default in make.conf(5).

So, besides the fact that this option is enabled by default it does exactly as explained, I think your expecting it to behave as --autounmask-write.

Anyhow, the reason for sys-kernel/pf-sources-3.6.4 being masked and the subsequent unmasking is explained in bug #439502

best ... khay

Huh? It doesn't do exactly as explained, it does nothing in this case. I know why it's masked and I know how to unmask it manually, I'm only asking why --autounmask-write doesn't do it automatically.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter4 wrote:
Huh? It doesn't do exactly as explained, it does nothing in this case. I know why it's masked and I know how to unmask it manually, I'm only asking why --autounmask-write doesn't do it automatically.

peter4 ... sorry, I read the subject and didn't pay that close attention to the command provided, so I'd thought you were using --autounmask *only*. Once I realised, I edited the post ... which must have happened only moments before your reply.

So, again, it was hardmasked, but according to the bug it has subsequently been reverted. Sorry for any confusion.

best ... khay
peter4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
peter4 wrote:

peter4 ... sorry, I read the subject and didn't pay that close attention to the command provided, so I'd thought you were using --autounmask *only*. Once I realised, I edited the post ... which must have happened only moments before your reply.

So, again, it was hardmasked, but according to the bug it has subsequently been reverted. Sorry for any confusion.

best ... khay

Yes, I know all that. My question is why didn't --autounmask work while it was hard masked.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter4 wrote:
Yes, I know all that. My question is why didn't --autounmask work while it was hard masked.

peter4 ...

"If --autounmask is enabled, no package.unmask or ** keyword changes will be created".

best ... khay
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, this is the logical application of --autounmask. If it went off unmasking hard masked packages all over the place the results could be disastrous! Personally I don't use --autounmask, as I want to understand what is being requested, and by what. I review the packages which need unmasking, then make a decision about whether to unmask them, or to review the dependency requiring the unmasking. If then I have a problem, I know what unstable packages have been unmasked (by me), and it can be helpful in the troubleshooting activity that follows.

Paranoid? Not really! I have been using Gentoo since 2004, and have never had to start again from scratch except when buying new hardware. I did end up with lots of cruft on my original PC when I didn't fully understand the workings of the world file, and --oneshot, but currently my system is clean and stable, despite having a mix of stable and unstable packages loaded. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: