depclean/emerge question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snIP3r
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: depclean/emerge question Reply with quote

hi all!

today i wanted to start depcleaning my system. and i found an issue that i do not understand. first of all, i synced the portage tree and updated the system. after everything was up-to-date i did an emerge -av --depclean to give me a list of packages that will be unmerged. i started with package sys-devel/automake cause i got this:

Code:

sys-devel/automake
    selected: 1.9.6-r2
   protected: none
     omitted: 1.10.3 1.11.6

so i checked the pachages which require automake-1.9.6-r2 and got displayed libupnp-1.6.6 . my first try was to unmerge automake-1.9.6-r2 and then run a revdep-rebuild. no packages had to be rebuilt. but then something strange happens: i tried to re-emerge libupnp just for fun and got this displayed:

Code:

[ebuild  NS    ] sys-devel/automake-1.9.6-r3 [1.10.3, 1.11.6] 748 kB
[ebuild     U   ] net-libs/libupnp-1.6.17  [1.6.6]

so this means that there was an update for the two packages that were not recognized after emerge --sync and emerge -uavDN world.
perhaps someone can answer my questions:
- why are these two installed packages not beeing updated during normal emerge --sync and emerge -uavDN world?
- why did revdep-rebuild not recognize the missing automake ? cause its obvious that libupnp needs automake version 1.9.x, i found this line in the ebuild:
Code:

WANT_AUTOMAKE=1.9

- am i right that it is not safe in all cases to unmerge packages that emerge --depclean displays and then run a revdep-rebuild?
another question apart from the above: i got serveral perl packages for deletion. can i safely unmerge all of these or is there something i have to check before unmerging?

thanks for help!
snIP3r
if your problem is fixed please add something like [solved] to the topic!
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope [1] will answer most of your questions.

[1] FAQ
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: depclean/emerge question Reply with quote

snIP3r wrote:

- why are these two installed packages not beeing updated during normal emerge --sync and emerge -uavDN world?

Because :
- automake is a build dependency of some packages.
- your emerge command does not update build dependencies if this is not absolutely needed.
- If you absolutely want to update build dependencies, then you should add : --with-bdeps y to your emerge --update command.

EDIT : Do follow massimo's advice.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: