Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYCosmos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navar wrote:
Get familiar with UEFI (particularly GUID/GPT) vs a traditional BIOS if installing on newer hardware.

I am not sure what this means. I see the BIOS screen when starting my laptop and pressing F2 and then use it to launch the CD, but I don't exactly know what it is. I certainly don't know what UEFI is, but if I am getting totally new hardware, I suppose I then should?
Navar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiki, google, a gentoo oriented wiki and yet another gentoo wiki etc. and even searching here, e.g., https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-938648-start-0.html.

I'll be dealing with it (I haven't dealt with EFI or a full move to 64 bit in general yet) soon on 2 newer systems I'm building but I'm expecting headaches particularly since the first build using a Gigabyte motherboard will probably be a hybrid variety.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, on my brand new intel motherboard(Intel DZ77BH55K), it's a UEFI motherboard, but I can still use the boot legacy mode.

So I did a classic Gentoo installation without any problems.

If you want to try to use UEFI, I recommend to install Gentoo with the latest SystemRescueCD, because it can boot in UEFI mode.
sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
NYCosmos, Welcome to Gentoo. :)

You've included a key phrase in your question: "...if they're willing to put in the effort." With that caveat, the answer is, "Yes!" ..... Start with the Gentoo Handbook and, once you have a basic console only install running, check out the Gentoo Desktop Documentation Resources. In general, Gentoo's documentation is excellent......

Also read the Linux Sea book online or download the pdf. I found it very helpful. "The book "Linux Sea" offers a gentle yet technical (from end-user perspective) introduction to the Linux operating system, using Gentoo Linux as the example Linux distribution."
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: