Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
smooth scrolling on Logitech mice (G500, etc..)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acidmonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: smooth scrolling on Logitech mice (G500, etc..) Reply with quote

For those of you who have this mouse: Is there some way to get the smooth scrolling available for gentoo.

For those of you who don't, or those who never used it in windows: Logitech provides a plug-in for Chrome and Firefox which enables high resolution polling of the scroll wheel. This is not "smooth scrolling" where the transition between ticks is animated but a genuine high resolution input. Surprisingly I only found applications to access the resolution setting of the sensor and extra functionality like per axis settings and profiles stored withing the mouse for switchig with the two small bottoms next to the main button.
I imagine they provided regular mouse ticks at larger intervals for compatibility reasons and use some other messages for the high resolution input.

How is the tool called again where you can catch HID messages on the console using some dummy X11 window?
ribx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: smooth scrolling on Logitech mice (G500, etc..) Reply with quote

acidmonkey wrote:
How is the tool called again where you can catch HID messages on the console using some dummy X11 window?

xev
acidmonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, that was it.

Although it didn't really help, I am only receiving messages after a regular tick and no messages for "micro-ticks" on minuscule movements which would be registered otherwise.
I guess they use a proprietary protocol to transmit these messages or there is some special polling mode controlled by the host.

If there is no other way it seems I would have to read up on driver development, and sniff the data using wine debugging. :?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: