Trouble Compiling Kernel For New Install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ts1971
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Trouble Compiling Kernel For New Install Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm pretty new to a lot of this stuff so apologies in advance for what are probably silly questions. Anyway, having arrived at the 'Configuring the Kernel' chapter of the install guide I decided to have a go at the Manual Configuration Option. I was able to configure and compile the kernel and copied it to /boot. However, not having a lot of faith that I hadn't messed somethng up with menuconfig I decided to also use genkernel, thinking that if the kernel I created manually didn't work, I would have the genkerneled kernel to fall back on. Unfortunatly the command 'genkernel all' ended with the error you can see in the attached screen shot.

So here are my probably silly questions:

(1) does having run menuconfig somehow interefere with subsequently running genkernel? I would imagine that the selections I make in menuconfig are written to a config file somwhere. Does that config file become an input to genkernel? If I hadn't manually created the kernel, might genkernel have worked?

(2) I kicked off the installation with the rescue cd so CTRL-ALT-F7 gives me access to a x environment with a browser (midori) so I can access the forums. However, I can't figure out how to copy data from the installation environment to this environment to include them along with the post? How can I do that? Can I open a terminal and do a chroot or something? I'm kind of paranoid about doing something which will mess up my install. At this point I just want to get a system up and running so that I can start to learn it.

(3) Since I already have the kernel from the first attempt, can I just ignore that compiler error and continue with the installation instructions? Or did it possibly leave my system in a bad state?

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: