[SOLVED] grep: error while load. shared lib..s: libpcre.so.0
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yminus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] grep: error while load. shared lib..s: libpcre.so.0 Reply with quote

After emerge -avuND world I followed the post install notice of dev-libs/libpcre-8.30-r2

Quote:
>>> Messages generated by process 16054 on 2012-05-27 10:46:00 CEST for package dev-libs/libpcre-8.30-r2:

WARN: postinst
Old versions of installed libraries were detected on your system.
In order to avoid breaking packages that depend on these old libs,
the libraries are not being removed. You need to run revdep-rebuild
in order to remove these old dependencies. If you do not have this
helper program, simply emerge the 'gentoolkit' package.

# revdep-rebuild --library '/lib64/libpcre.so.0'

Once you've finished running revdep-rebuild, it should be safe to
delete the old libraries. Here is a copy & paste for the lazy:
# rm '/lib64/libpcre.so.0'

revdep-rebuild reported nothing and I removed libpcre.so.0.

Now I can't compile anymore:

Quote:

checking how to run the C preprocessor... grep: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -E
grep: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... configure: error: no acceptable grep could be found in /usr/lib64/ccache/bin:/usr/lib64/distcc/bin:/usr/lib64/portage/bin/ebuild-helpers:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.5.3:/usr/lib64/subversion/bin:/opt/eagle-5.11.0/bin:/opt/cuda/bin:/usr/xpg4/bin

What can I do now?

Last edited by Yminus on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Yminus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could recover by setting a symlink:

Code:
ln -s /lib64/libpcre.so.1 /lib64/libpcre.so.0

But now I still wonder why revdep-rebuild --library '/lib64/libpcre.so.0' did not rebuild grep.
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to
  • re-emerge libpcre
  • re-emerge grep
  • revdep-rebuild -i
  • delete the symlink you created

I did the same thing myself!
bobpaul
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yminus wrote:
But now I still wonder why revdep-rebuild --library '/lib64/libpcre.so.0' did not rebuild grep.

If you look at your error, revdep-rebuild is using grep and failing. So that's why it didn't fix grep... it needs a working grep to figure out libpcre is broken...
Thistled
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this topic solved?
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am concerned it is.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobpaul wrote:
If you look at your error, revdep-rebuild is using grep and failing. So that's why it didn't fix grep... it needs a working grep to figure out libpcre is broken...

Well, no, grep should have been rebuilt (against libpcre.so.1) prior to the removal of libpcre.so.0 ... and so should not have needed libpcre.so.0 subsequent to the revdep-rebuild.

I did this upgrade probably the same time as the OP, or at least within a day or so of its release, and didn't have any issues. Also, the 'pcre' use flag is likewise set on sys-apps/grep so I'm somewhat puzzled why this might have happened. I was careful at the time to check everything was working and compared 'equery depends libpcre' against revdep-rebuilds list for any packages on which the pcre useflag was enabled, but everything was listed, and then rebuilt, as expected.

I could only speculate on possible reasons, perhaps the build died for some other reason, I have -nls as a global useflag, nls being the only other useflag for sys-apps/grep, but if "nls" was the cause then I think there would be many more reports of this issue as its the default. AFAIK there is no verfication of this, or did others have a similar problem?

Anyhow ... I'm always careful when using '--deep', but I've always found revdep-rebuild to work flawlessly, so if at all possible it'd be good to get to the root of this.

best ... khay
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem was I deleted the .so prior to doing the revdep-rebuild (thinking I had already done it).
Big mistake, won't do that again!
Yminus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
grep should have been rebuilt (against libpcre.so.1) prior to the removal of libpcre.so.0

That's what I expected.

khayyam wrote:
I could only speculate on possible reasons, perhaps the build died for some other reason

There was no built - revdep-rebuild did not report anything.

khayyam wrote:
I have -nls as a global useflag, nls being the only other useflag for sys-apps/grep, but if "nls" was the cause then I think there would be many more reports of this issue as its the default.

I have nls set.

khayyam wrote:
Anyhow ... I'm always careful when using '--deep'

I frequently do:
Code:
layman -S && eix-sync && emerge -avuND world
emerge -avc
revdep-rebuild -- -av

Sometimes emerge -avc requires
Code:
emerge --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y @world

I thought this is the recommended procedure to keep the system up to date?

khayyam wrote:
I ... compared 'equery depends libpcre' against revdep-rebuilds list for any packages on which the pcre useflag was enabled, but everything was listed, and then rebuilt, as expected.

I checked it today and according to /var/log/emerge.log all of them have been rebuild after my symlink workaround.

So I have no explanation and I cannot reproduce the problem. Maybe I messed it without noticing at first and as long there is no verification of this problem I believe this is an adequate working hypothesis. So for me this issue is solved.
aharel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Started the same - got worst Reply with quote

Quote:
I think there would be many more reports of this issue as its the default. AFAIK there is no verfication of this, or did others have a similar problem?

I did last night.
The post install notice of dev-libs/libpcre-8.30-r2 had fancier command line cut and paste, which first runs revdep-build and then rmoves libpcre.so.0. But I thought (no log?) that devdep-build did nothing but complain. And after several failed emerges of libpcre (after one emerge of a library that depends on in) I realized there is no libpcre in /lib64. There is one in /lib32, but I don't see how this helps.
So emerge is broken, as is configurate in the pcre package.
Any ideas how to revive my gentoo?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Started the same - got worst Reply with quote

aharel wrote:
Any ideas how to revive my gentoo?

Funny, I answered a very similar question just recently (see the post immediately after it as well.)
aharel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Thanks and discussion of post install instructions Reply with quote

Thanks Steve.

I was going to update that I resolved it using a different thread, and then saw your answer, which was essentially the same :-)
So you did good, and I was too slow :-(

Back to the source of this mess:

Being a complete n00b (and currently reinstalling KDE&QT as part of the price) I don't want to post a bug report yet without getting some feedback from more experiences users: does it really make sense to have "rm" of a .so file that's needed for emerge (here, via configurate via grep) in the post install instructions? Especially without some check that a newer (or at least different) version exists?

Perhaps the package maintainer assumed that any revedep-build failures would prevent the "&&" clause from running. That was not the case for me, and anyway, that's not quite the right check. I think....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: