installing windows 7 after gentoo with windows 7 recovery cd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
10B2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: installing windows 7 after gentoo with windows 7 recovery cd Reply with quote

In my acer aspire laptop I got windows 7 os. I decided to install also gentoo, but I believe that I deleted the disk space with windows because the whole amount of disk was partitioned wirh fdisk. I created anyway a free partition in gentoo. I have a rescue cd from my previous windows os and a back up of the system. Is it possible to restore windows for a dual boot?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10B2,

Welcome to gentoo.

Windows 7 may use GPT, which means you need to use parted, or something that understands GPT disk labels.
fdisk will give you a warning about it but not stop you trashing your data if GPT was in use and you ignored the warning.

Windows Rescue CDs come in assorted flavours. The most common will only reimage your HDD as it was when your PC was new. These cannot be used to install Windows alongside other things. They just wipe your drive. The rarer sort are real Windows installers, where you get a degree of control over the install.
The will still install the Windows boot loader, so you have to reinstall Grub, unless you install Windows first.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: installing windows 7 after gentoo with windows 7 recover Reply with quote

10B2 wrote:
In my acer aspire laptop I got windows 7 os. I decided to install also gentoo, but I believe that I deleted the disk space with windows because the whole amount of disk was partitioned wirh fdisk. I created anyway a free partition in gentoo. I have a rescue cd from my previous windows os and a back up of the system. Is it possible to restore windows for a dual boot?

It depends on what this resque CD contains. Will the partitions layout be restored by this CD or not? If yes, you will get your windows back and you can try install gentoo again, this time more carefully.

P.S.
Any way the first thing you should to do is booting with liveCD/USB and checking: is your windows installation exists or gone?

Last edited by creaker on Thu May 30, 2013 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
10B2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to get windows 7 installer? May I get it from free? I remind that already had windows on my machine.
10B2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: installing windows 7 after gentoo with windows 7 recover Reply with quote

creaker wrote:
10B2 wrote:

It depends on what this resque CD contains. Will the partitions layout be restored by this CD or not? If yes, you will get your windows back and you can try install gentoo again, this time more carefully.

P.S.
Any way the first thing you should to do is booting with liveCD/USB and checking: is your windows installation exists or gone?

Sadly gone...
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to restore the system with this resque CD. May be you will be lucky, anyway you have nothing to loose since your windows gone.
Also usually Acer has a hidden recovery partition. Did you checked about this partition existence?
10B2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The acer tools are not available to restore windows. A window show the acer buttons but they do not work, arguably because the partition gone...
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10B2,

Please boot with linux and put your dmesg on a pastebin site.
Some vendors hide things in whats called the Host Protected Area.

Essentially, the HDD is set up to lie about its real size. The space between the reported size and real size is called the Host Protected Area.
Its only accessible to the operating system by removing the HPA.

Some vendors just used hidden partitions, which fdisk and friends allow you to delete.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
10B2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: gentoo boot & wireless problem Reply with quote

I have installed windows 7 and gentoo on the same machine. Windows partition is dev/sda1, gentoo boot is on / dev/sda2, swap on sda3 and root on / dev/sda4. I use grub for dual booting. Windows goes fine. Gentoo boots only with genkernel and initramfs generated by genkernel all. Without iniramfs kernel-genkernel does not boot (cannot open root device sda4 or unknown block (0,0): error -6...kernel panic). I am trying to configure my own kernel because for the time being cannot get any wireless extension by iwconfig. My new kernel (with initramfs line in grub) stops when determining the root device...Block device dev/sda4 is not a valid root device...Could not find the root block device in. Specify another value etc etc. The grub.conf section for my new kernel is the same as the one that loads, except tor the kernel image, that slightly changed for getting wireless access. What is happening???
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genkernel creates many modules including for file systems and disk drivers
the modules must be loaded before the kernel can use the disk drivers and file systems to load and start the system
the initramfs loads those drivers
http://kernel-seeds.org/ even more than the handbook is the kernel builders bible
you can use genkernel --menuconfig all as an intermediate kernel editor while working on your wireless.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: