View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it seems that the latest KDE (4.14.2) wants to pull in PolicyKit and ConsoleKit via kdm (which pulls in kdepasswd, which pulls in accountsservice which pulls in policykit & etc). Removing kdepasswd from the kdm ebuild allows KDE to build sans *kit, and so far it seems the only thing missing is the ability to apply changes to the "Login Screen" settings in systemsettings (which is expected).

Looking into a workaround for kdepasswd ATM; I can't believe that the only way to do this is through *kit. :P

EDIT: It looks like there is no hard dependency on accountsservice by kdepasswd, it builds and installs just fine without it. And looking at the code of kdepasswd, I can see that it's pretty much just calling the system's 'passwd' in a PTY, so the dependency on accountsservice makes absolutely no sense to me. :P
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamus397 wrote:
..kdm which pulls in kdepasswd, which pulls in accountsservice which pulls in policykit etc. Removing kdepasswd from the kdm ebuild allows KDE to build sans *kit, and so far it seems the only thing missing is the ability to apply changes to the "Login Screen" settings in systemsettings (which is expected).

Looking into a workaround for kdepasswd ATM; I can't believe that the only way to do this is through *kit. :P

EDIT: It looks like there is no hard dependency on accountsservice by kdepasswd, it builds and installs just fine without it. And looking at the code of kdepasswd, I can see that it's pretty much just calling the system's 'passwd' in a PTY, so the dependency on accountsservice makes absolutely no sense to me. :P

Nice work Shamus :-) So all we need to do is remove the dud dependency?

Bug please :)
Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, looking at the configuration module, it seems that it uses it there. However, it worked before without that requirement so it seems to me that it should be possible to fix it so that it works without it. Stupid dependency if you ask me. :P
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamus397 wrote:
So, looking at the configuration module, it seems that it uses it there. However, it worked before without that requirement so it seems to me that it should be possible to fix it so that it works without it. Stupid dependency if you ask me. :P

Yeah, stupid/dud if it justs calls the system's 'passwd' in a PTY.

Might be an indication of where they're going, but I don't see the point; it's hardly like actions which require privilege are the norm, including configuration of kdepasswd itself, which I guess might be as-user, but that shouldn't be triggerable any other way but the DE gui. I don't see the point in opening it up to bus-activation, whatsoever; it just sounds like another attack-vector waiting to happen.

Anyway, definitely one to rip out, and patch up after if we feel like it. ;)
Gatsby
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a workaround I use kde-base/kdepasswd-4.13.3 which is so far the last version that does not depend on accountsservice and thus pulls no *kit into kde.
Code:
/etc/portage/package.mask/kde/kdepasswd
<kde-base/kdepasswd-4.13.3
>kde-base/kdepasswd-4.13.3

Works fine with a *kit-less KDE- 4.14.3.

"Слава України, смерть російским окупантам!"
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Userspace mounting options ??

I've finally been purging my experimental system of *kit, etc. Yesterday I got rid of all of the emul-x86 libs (except for qtlibs) and am thinking of propagating this to other systems in the house. It's down to mounting USB (and other) drives, and W.A.F. Right now on my wife's system, thunar does the job for her. Obviously that won't fly without *kit. I've also build with USE="-dbus", then added it back where absolutely necessary. So on this system thunar not only doesn't automount, it's not managing desktop icons. My wife never really used them anyway.

So I need a mounting tool, basically for someone who doesn't really know what mounting is or why it's necessary. I might be able to work up some instructions for pmount-gui, but I'm mildly annoyed that it needs two different invocations, one way to mount, another way to umount. IMHO I'd rather see removables with state-distinct icons, and click it to flip its status.

In my search the other day, in addition to pmount-gui I found another mounting tool that sits in the systray, and might be what I'm looking for. But now I can't find it, and I don't remember the name.

Again, looking for hints, experience, etc.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
Yesterday I got rid of all of the emul-x86 libs (except for qtlibs) and am thinking of propagating this to other systems in the house.
So I need a mounting tool, basically for someone who doesn't really know what mounting is or why it's necessary. I might be able to work up some instructions for pmount-gui, but I'm mildly annoyed that it needs two different invocations, one way to mount, another way to umount. IMHO I'd rather see removables with state-distinct icons, and click it to flip its status.

In my search the other day, in addition to pmount-gui I found another mounting tool that sits in the systray, and might be what I'm looking for. But now I can't find it, and I don't remember the name.

You mentioned you're using Qt, so you might want to look at creaker's tool for that.

Not sure if that's the one you meant (seems a bit unlikely) but he's definitely the guy to talk with, ime.

There's also soka's setup (last post) for Mate, though that's not specifically about mounting, rather than the whole desktop afaict.

HTH,
steveL
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:

You mentioned you're using Qt, so you might want to look at creaker's tool for that.

Not sure if that's the one you meant (seems a bit unlikely) but he's definitely the guy to talk with, ime.

There's also soka's setup (last post) for Mate, though that's not specifically about mounting, rather than the whole desktop afaict.

HTH,
steveL

That does look good, pretty much what I'm after. I'm not wedded to any particular toolkit, I install stuff I'm interested in, and that drags the toolkit. The only other factor would be that gtk3 is a potential path into the systemd quagmire, and gtk2 is supposedly going to go away.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: