View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! Though I prefer "drive-removable-media" :)
elkhunter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added -consolekit -gvfs -policykit -raptor -redland -semantic-desktop -udisks -udisks2 -upower -virtuoso to make.conf but portage still wants to pull in consolekit and policykit as shown below:

The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
(see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by sys-auth/polkit-0.111[-systemd]
# required by sys-fs/udisks-1.0.4-r5
# required by gnome-base/libgdu-3.0.2
# required by gnome-base/gvfs-1.16.3[gdu]
# required by sci-geosciences/geocode-glib-0.99.1
# required by net-im/empathy-3.6.4[geocode]
# required by gnome-base/gnome-core-apps-3.6.2
# required by gnome-base/gnome-3.6.2
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
>=sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.6 policykit

Any suggestions? I saw a mention earlier of a custom gnome build but it was for an older version. Is there a new ebuild (overlay) that doesn't need policykit?
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. It may change in the future, but for now policy-kit is hardcoded into gnome. If you want to remove policy-kit, the only way is to remove gnome and pulseaudio.
elkhunter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. One more question/problem: I'm unable to get a login prompt on any of the virtual consoles (<ctr.><alt><fx>). Is this due to removing consolekit (or policykit)? I use those frequently so, if so, I'll have to add the flags back and rebuild. Also do you have any problems with sound in kde apps w/o pulseaudio? When I login (I use fluxbox), I get sound in some apps like vlc and smplayer but no sound in any kde app like totem or dragon or while trying to watch videos in firefox. Any suggestions?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elkhunter wrote:
Thanks. One more question/problem: I'm unable to get a login prompt on any of the virtual consoles (<ctr.><alt><fx>). Is this due to removing consolekit (or policykit)? I use those frequently so, if so, I'll have to add the flags back and rebuild.

No, it's not. I'm running without *kit (KDE) and I just double-checked: CTRL-ALT-F1-6 work fine, and F7 back to X as usual.
Quote:
Also do you have any problems with sound in kde apps w/o pulseaudio? When I login (I use fluxbox), I get sound in some apps like vlc and smplayer but no sound in any kde app like totem or dragon or while trying to watch videos in firefox. Any suggestions?

It sounds like you need an alsa dmix plugin.
More info here
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elkhunter wrote:
Thanks. One more question/problem: Also do you have any problems with sound in kde apps w/o pulseaudio? When I login (I use fluxbox), I get sound in some apps like vlc and smplayer but no sound in any kde app like totem or dragon or while trying to watch videos in firefox. Any suggestions?

I don't use pulseaudio. When removing *kit, you will force alsa-plugins with USE="-pulseaudio". In fact, to remove *kit is a good way to get ride of pulse.

To get the same result, you can use jack and the snd-loopback module. See DAW: Using an ALSA Loopback device and zita-ajbridge. JACK is more easy to setup than pulseaudio, and you don't need a real-time kernel for it to work. When using snd_loopback as first sound card, all the ALSA software will use it by default. And with zita-*2*, you will get them into JACK. zita-ajbridge is the only ebuild you will really need from the pro-audio overlay. (You could use loop2jack, but zita-*2* will give you a much better sound quality).

If you want to try the realtime JACK capabilities, I will not recommend to use a rt kernel, mainly because it can cause rare, but very strange issues with gcc and emerge. Instead, use your usual kernel sources, and configure rt with the cgroups as explained into the same wiki page. But again, this is not needed to get ALSA and JACK to work together. If you are used to pulseaudio, you should not notice the difference.

The only difference will be the latency, with jack you will get a constant audio latency in any cases, and to do audio pro work, a latency <= 20 ms is just fine in most, if not all cases.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominique_71 wrote:
To get the same result, you can use jack and the snd-loopback module. See DAW: Using an ALSA Loopback device and zita-ajbridge. JACK is more easy to setup than pulseaudio, and you don't need a real-time kernel for it to work. When using snd_loopback as first sound card, all the ALSA software will use it by default. And with zita-*2*, you will get them into JACK. zita-ajbridge is the only ebuild you will really need from the pro-audio overlay. (You could use loop2jack, but zita-*2* will give you a much better sound quality).

Nice link Dominique, thanks: and for all the useful work you do both on pro-audio, and more widely in Gentoo.

Just in case you don't hear it enough :)
elkhunter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominique_71 wrote:

I don't use pulseaudio. When removing *kit, you will force alsa-plugins with USE="-pulseaudio". In fact, to remove *kit is a good way to get ride of pulse.

Thanks Dominique. I'm trying to remove pulse again. I have -pulseaudio in make.conf and rebuilt the world (at least those packages that didn't fail), then removed pulseaudio itself. Now things are working great (totem, smplayer, vlc, firefox are all working fine with alsa). However when I try to emerge the world again, it keeps trying pull in pulse as shown below:

Calculating dependencies .... ... .. .. . ........... ...... .... ..... ... . ...... done!
[ebuild R ] dev-libs/boost-1.53.0:0/1.53 USE="icu nls python threads tools* -debug -doc -mpi -static-libs" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2 python3_3 (-python2_5) -python2_6 (-python3_1)" 0 kB
[ebuild U ] dev-python/sympy-0.7.2-r3::sage-on-gentoo [0.7.2-r2::sage-on-gentoo] USE="gtk opengl pdf png -doc -examples -imaging -ipython -latex -mathml -pyglet {-test} -texmacs" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 -python2_6 -python3_2%" 0 kB
[ebuild N ] sci-electronics/gnetman-0.0.1_pre20110124 USE="-doc -examples" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] sci-libs/scipy-0.12.0 USE="-doc -sparse {-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 (-python2_5) -python2_6 -python3_2* -python3_3" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] dev-python/matplotlib-1.2.1 USE="cairo gtk gtk3 qt4 tk wxwidgets -doc -examples -excel -fltk -latex {-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2 python3_3* -python2_6 (-python3_1)" 0 kB
[ebuild N ] media-sound/pulseaudio-4.0 USE="X alsa asyncns bluetooth caps dbus gdbm glib gnome gtk orc qt4 ssl tcpd udev webrtc-aec -avahi -doc -equalizer -ipv6 -jack -libsamplerate -lirc (-neon) (-oss) -realtime (-system-wide) -systemd {-test} -xen" 0 kB
[ebuild rR ] gnome-extra/gnome-documents-3.6.2 0 kB

Total: 7 packages (1 upgrade, 2 new, 4 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB

How can I find out what is causing that? I do have consolekit and policykit installed since I needed them to keep gnome (which was needed for gnome which I had to keep for geda, monodevelop, and a few other apps I didn't want to lose). Is pulse required with *kit? Its amazing how invasive some of these packages can be.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might be gnome pulling in pulse. Try adding the --tree option to your emerge command.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elkhunter wrote:

[ebuild N ] media-sound/pulseaudio-4.0 USE="X alsa asyncns bluetooth caps dbus gdbm glib gnome gtk orc qt4 ssl tcpd udev webrtc-aec -avahi -doc -equalizer -ipv6 -jack -libsamplerate -lirc (-neon) (-oss) -realtime (-system-wide) -systemd {-test} -xen" 0 kB

You have the gnome USE flag somewhere, and gnome depend on pulseaudio.

elkhunter wrote:

How can I find out what is causing that? I do have consolekit and policykit installed since I needed them to keep gnome (which was needed for gnome which I had to keep for geda, monodevelop, and a few other apps I didn't want to lose). Is pulse required with *kit? Its amazing how invasive some of these packages can be.

pulse is required by gnome.
The geda and monodevelop doesn't require gnome. You can try with USE="-gnome" emerge -a ... world
elkhunter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm trying once again to completely remove gnome, pulseaudio, *kit, semantic desktop, etc. I removed all packages with gnome in the name (emerge -C `eix -sIC --only-names gnome`) and a few others but when I try to emerge the world, it wants to bring back in gnome and pulseaudio. Is the following output saying that vmware-player, monodevelop, geda-suite, etc all require gnome? I'm hoping they just need gtk, not full gnome.

Calculating dependencies .. ..... ..... .................. ... ........ . .. .... .... . ... ..... ... . ..... ... ........ .. ..... done!
[nomerge ] app-emulation/vmware-player-5.0.2.1031769::vmware USE="cups vmware-tools -doc"
[ebuild N ] dev-cpp/libgnomecanvasmm-2.26.0:2.6 USE="-debug -doc -examples" 320 kB
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/libgtop-2.28.4:2 USE="introspection -debug -doc" 639 kB
[nomerge ] dev-python/gconf-python-2.28.1:2 USE="-examples"
[ebuild N ] dev-python/gnome-python-base-2.28.1:2 550 kB
[nomerge ] x11-plugins/screenlets-0.1.6 USE="svg" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7 (-python2_5) -python2_6" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 (-python2_5) -python2_6"
[ebuild N ] dev-python/gnome-keyring-python-2.32.0 USE="-examples" 607 kB
[nomerge ] dev-util/monodevelop-3.0.2-r1 USE="git subversion"
[ebuild N ] dev-dotnet/gnome-sharp-2.24.2:2 USE="-debug" 412 kB
[nomerge ] app-pda/gtkpod-2.1.4_pre20130428 USE="aac cdr curl flac gstreamer mp3 vorbis webkit -clutter"
[nomerge ] dev-util/anjuta-3.8.4 USE="introspection subversion vala -debug -devhelp -glade (-packagekit) {-test}" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7 -python2_6" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 -python2_6"
[ebuild N ] gnome-extra/libgda-5.1.2:5/4 USE="gtk introspection java ldap mysql ssl -berkdb -bindist -canvas -debug (-firebird) -graphviz -http -json -libsecret -mdb -oci8 -postgres -reports -sourceview" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7 -python2_6" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 -python2_6" 0 kB
[nomerge ] sci-electronics/geda-suite-20110427
[nomerge ] sci-electronics/gwave-20090213-r1 USE="-gnuplot -plotutils"
[ebuild N ] dev-scheme/guile-gnome-platform-2.16.2 USE="-static-libs" 2,479 kB
[ebuild N ] sci-electronics/gnetman-0.0.1_pre20110124 USE="-doc -examples" 0 kB
[nomerge ] media-gfx/gimp-2.8.6:2 USE="aalib alsa bzip2 curl dbus exif jpeg jpeg2k lcms mmx mng pdf png python sse svg tiff udev webkit wmf xpm (-altivec) (-aqua) -debug -doc -gnome -postscript -smp" LINGUAS="-am -ar -ast -az -be -bg -br -ca -ca@valencia -cs -csb -da -de -dz -el -en_CA -en_GB -eo -es -et -eu -fa -fi -fr -ga -gl -gu -he -hi -hr -hu -id -is -it -ja -ka -kk -km -kn -ko -lt -lv -mk -ml -ms -my -nb -nds -ne -nl -nn -oc -pa -pl -pt -pt_BR -ro -ru -rw -si -sk -sl -sr -sr@latin -sv -ta -te -th -tr -tt -uk -vi -xh -yi -zh_CN -zh_HK -zh_TW"
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/librsvg-2.37.0:2 USE="gtk introspection tools vala" 0 kB
[nomerge ] kde-base/kde-meta-4.10.5:4 USE="accessibility nls (-aqua) -sdk -semantic-desktop"
[nomerge ] kde-base/kdeutils-meta-4.10.5:4 USE="cups (-aqua) -floppy -lirc"
[nomerge ] kde-base/print-manager-4.10.5:4 USE="(-aqua) -debug"
[ebuild N ] app-admin/system-config-printer-gnome-1.3.12 USE="-gnome-keyring" LINGUAS="-ar -as -bg -bn -bn_IN -br -bs -ca -cs -cy -da -de -el -en_GB -es -et -fa -fi -fr -gu -he -hi -hr -hu -hy -id -is -it -ja -ka -kn -ko -lo -lv -mai -mk -ml -mr -ms -nb -nl -nn -or -pa -pl -pt -pt_BR -ro -ru -si -sk -sl -sr -sr@latin -sv -ta -te -th -tr -uk -vi -zh_CN -zh_TW" 0 kB
[nomerge ] kde-base/kde-meta-4.10.5:4 USE="accessibility nls (-aqua) -sdk -semantic-desktop"
[nomerge ] kde-base/kdebase-meta-4.10.5:4 USE="wallpapers (-aqua)"
[nomerge ] kde-base/solid-4.10.5:4 USE="bluetooth (-aqua) -debug -networkmanager -wicd"
[nomerge ] net-wireless/bluedevil-1.3.1:4 USE="(-aqua) -debug" LINGUAS="-ar -bs -ca -ca@valencia -cs -da -de -el -en_GB -eo -es -et -eu -fa -fi -fr -ga -gl -hu -it -ja -kk -ko -lt -mai -mr -ms -nb -nds -nl -pa -pl -pt -pt_BR -ro -ru -sk -sl -sr -sr@ijekavian -sr@ijekavianlatin -sr@latin -sv -th -tr -ug -uk -zh_CN -zh_TW"
[nomerge ] app-mobilephone/obexd-0.46 USE="eds usb -nokia -server"
[ebuild N ] gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-3.6.4:0/40 USE="gnome-online-accounts introspection kerberos ldap vala weather -api-doc-extras -ipv6 {-test}" 0 kB
[nomerge ] media-video/totem-3.8.2-r1 USE="flash introspection nsplugin python -debug -grilo -lirc -nautilus {-test} -zeitgeist" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7 -python2_6" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 -python2_6"
[ebuild N ] x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme-symbolic-3.8.3 0 kB
[nomerge ] www-client/epiphany-3.6.1 USE="introspection jit nss -debug {-test}"
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/gnome-desktop-3.6.3:3/4 USE="introspection -debug" 947 kB
[nomerge ] gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-3.6.4:0/40 USE="gnome-online-accounts introspection kerberos ldap vala weather -api-doc-extras -ipv6 {-test}"
[ebuild N ] net-libs/gnome-online-accounts-3.6.3 USE="introspection kerberos -debug -gnome" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] dev-libs/libgdata-0.13.2-r2:0/13 USE="introspection -debug -gnome* -static-libs" 0 kB
[nomerge ] dev-util/monodevelop-3.0.2-r1 USE="git subversion"
[nomerge ] dev-dotnet/gconf-sharp-2.24.2:2 USE="-debug"
[nomerge ] dev-dotnet/gnome-sharp-2.24.2:2 USE="-debug"
[nomerge ] gnome-base/libgnomeui-2.24.5 USE="-doc {-test}"
[nomerge ] gnome-base/libbonoboui-2.24.5 USE="-doc -examples {-test}"
[nomerge ] gnome-base/libgnome-2.32.1-r1 USE="branding -debug -doc"
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/gvfs-1.16.3 USE="bluetooth cdda gdu gphoto2 gtk http samba udev -afp -archive -avahi -bluray -fuse -gnome-keyring -gnome-online-accounts -ios -mtp -systemd {-test} -udisks" 0 kB
[ebuild N ] net-libs/libsoup-gnome-2.40.3:2.4 USE="introspection -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/libgnomeui-2.24.5 USE="-doc {-test}" 1,407 kB
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/libbonoboui-2.24.5 USE="-doc -examples {-test}" 954 kB
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/libgnome-2.32.1-r1 USE="branding -debug -doc" 2,137 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-dotnet/gnomevfs-sharp-2.24.2:2 USE="-debug" 0 kB
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.24.4-r1:2 USE="acl fam kerberos samba ssl -avahi -doc -gnutls -ipv6 {-test}" 1,847 kB
[nomerge ] app-emulation/vmware-player-5.0.2.1031769::vmware USE="cups vmware-tools -doc"
[nomerge ] x11-libs/libgksu-2.0.12-r1:2 USE="nls -doc -static-libs"
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/libgnome-keyring-3.8.0 USE="introspection vala -debug {-test}" 0 kB
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/gnome-keyring-3.8.2 USE="caps filecaps pam -debug (-selinux) {-test}" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] dev-python/matplotlib-1.2.1 USE="cairo gtk gtk3 qt4 tk wxwidgets -doc -examples -excel -fltk -latex {-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2 python3_3* -python2_6 (-python3_1)" 0 kB
[nomerge ] x11-libs/libgksu-2.0.12-r1:2 USE="nls -doc -static-libs"
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/gconf-3.2.6-r1:2 USE="gtk introspection ldap -debug -orbit -policykit" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 (-python2_5) -python2_6" 0 kB
[nomerge ] sys-auth/polkit-kde-agent-0.99.0-r1:4 USE="(-aqua) -debug" LINGUAS="-ca -ca@valencia -cs -da -de -en_GB -eo -es -et -fi -fr -ga -gl -hr -hu -is -it -ja -km -lt -mai -ms -nb -nds -nl -pa -pt -pt_BR -ro -ru -sk -sr -sr@ijekavian -sr@ijekavianlatin -sr@latin -sv -th -tr -uk -zh_TW"
[nomerge ] sys-auth/polkit-qt-0.103.0 USE="-debug -examples"
[nomerge ] sys-auth/polkit-0.111-r1 USE="gtk introspection kde nls pam -examples (-selinux) -systemd"
[ebuild N ] gnome-extra/polkit-gnome-0.105 304 kB
[nomerge ] media-sound/pavumeter-0.9.3-r1
[ebuild N ] media-sound/pulseaudio-4.0 USE="X alsa asyncns bluetooth caps dbus gdbm glib gtk orc qt4 ssl tcpd udev webrtc-aec -avahi -doc -equalizer -gnome -ipv6 -jack -libsamplerate -lirc (-neon) (-oss) -realtime (-system-wide) -systemd {-test} -xen" 0 kB
[nomerge ] gnome-extra/libgda-5.1.2:5/4 USE="gtk introspection java ldap mysql ssl -berkdb -bindist -canvas -debug (-firebird) -graphviz -http -json -libsecret -mdb -oci8 -postgres -reports -sourceview" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7 -python2_6" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 -python2_6"
[ebuild N ] app-text/gnome-doc-utils-0.20.10-r1 PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 (-python2_5) -python2_6" 515 kB
[nomerge ] dev-python/gnome-keyring-python-2.32.0 USE="-examples"
[ebuild N ] dev-python/gnome-python-desktop-base-2.32.0 0 kB
[nomerge ] sci-mathematics/sage-5.10-r1::sage-on-gentoo USE="-debug -latex -lrs -nauty -testsuite" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
[ebuild R ] sci-libs/scipy-0.12.0 USE="-doc -sparse {-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 (-python2_5) -python2_6 -python3_2* -python3_3" 0 kB
[nomerge ] dev-scheme/guile-gnome-platform-2.16.2 USE="-static-libs"
[nomerge ] gnome-base/libgnomeui-2.24.5 USE="-doc {-test}"
[nomerge ] gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.24.4-r1:2 USE="acl fam kerberos samba ssl -avahi -doc -gnutls -ipv6 {-test}"
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/gnome-mime-data-2.18.0 USE="-debug" 593 kB
[nomerge ] media-video/totem-3.8.2-r1 USE="flash introspection nsplugin python -debug -grilo -lirc -nautilus {-test} -zeitgeist" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7 -python2_6" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 -python2_6"
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/gsettings-desktop-schemas-3.8.2 USE="introspection" 0 kB
[ebuild N ] x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme-3.8.3 USE="branding" 0 kB
[nomerge ] gnome-base/libbonoboui-2.24.5 USE="-doc -examples {-test}"
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/libbonobo-2.24.3 USE="-debug -doc -examples {-test}" 1,324 kB
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/orbit-2.14.19-r3:2 USE="-debug -pic -static-libs {-test}" 747 kB
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/libglade-2.6.4:2.0 USE="-doc -static-libs {-test}" 348 kB
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/libgnomecanvas-2.30.3 USE="-doc -glade {-test}" 561 kB
[ebuild R ] dev-libs/boost-1.53.0:0/1.53 USE="icu nls python threads tools* -debug -doc -mpi -static-libs" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2 python3_3 (-python2_5) -python2_6 (-python3_1)" 0 kB
[nomerge ] sci-mathematics/sage-5.10-r1::sage-on-gentoo USE="-debug -latex -lrs -nauty -testsuite" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
[ebuild U ] dev-python/sympy-0.7.2-r3::sage-on-gentoo [0.7.2-r2::sage-on-gentoo] USE="gtk opengl pdf png -doc -examples -imaging -ipython -latex -mathml -pyglet {-test} -texmacs" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 -python2_6 -python3_2%" 0 kB
[nomerge ] x11-libs/vte-0.34.7:2.90 USE="introspection -debug -glade"
[ebuild N ] x11-libs/gnome-pty-helper-0.34.7 USE="hardened" 0 kB
[nomerge ] media-plugins/alsa-plugins-1.0.27 USE="ffmpeg pulseaudio speex -debug -jack -libsamplerate"
[nomerge ] media-sound/pulseaudio-4.0 USE="X alsa asyncns bluetooth caps dbus gdbm glib gtk orc qt4 ssl tcpd udev webrtc-aec -avahi -doc -equalizer -gnome -ipv6 -jack -libsamplerate -lirc (-neon) (-oss) -realtime (-system-wide) -systemd {-test} -xen"
[ebuild N ] gnome-extra/gnome-audio-2.22.2 USE="-debug" 1,703 kB
[nomerge ] gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-3.6.4:0/40 USE="gnome-online-accounts introspection kerberos ldap vala weather -api-doc-extras -ipv6 {-test}"
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/gnome-common-3.7.4:3 0 kB

Total: 43 packages (1 upgrade, 38 new, 4 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 18,385 kB

!!! The following installed packages are masked:
- sci-geosciences/googleearth-7.1.1.1871::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Julian Ospald <hasufell@gentoo.org> (21 Jul 2013)
# Mask all unfetchable versions and those with tons of random
# bugs and segfaults (all). Don't ask for a version bump unless
# there is a working release.
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two questions:
1. Is there qt front-end for pmount?
2. How does Dolphin reacts on newly mounted devices? Whether they are automatically added to the left panel?
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, didn't notice any speed up of boot process (as it was wrote above).
The only difference to standard installation (with *kits) is a bit less RAM usage. 495Mb vs 600Mb.
Is these 100Mb worth to refuse easy mounting devices?
I just put
Code:
-consolekit
-policykit

in /etc/portage/profile/use.force, added these two flags to make.conf and did system installation in usual way. pmount & pmount-gui not installed yet.
Maybe I'm overlooked something?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creaker wrote:
The only difference to standard installation (with *kits) is a bit less RAM usage. 495Mb vs 600Mb.

So you would loose an additional 1/5 of your RAM usage just for bloat.
Quote:
Is these 100Mb worth to refuse easy mounting devices?

This maybe only on systems with 2 GB or less. But more important than the gained RAM is the gained security: The first exploits for the bloated polkit have already been reported, and you can be sure that this is just the beginning, not even the tip of the iceberg.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention complex dependency trees that create work for developers and make it harder to architect and maintain your system.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creaker wrote:
worth to refuse easy mounting devices?
..pmount & pmount-gui not installed yet.
Maybe I'm overlooked something?

Sounds to me like you are, yeah. ;) Use uam, pmount and pmount-gui, get to know how they work for a few weeks, same as you did with your DE, and then report back what needs fixing. :-)

Not sure if you need uam or not; I've been so glad to get my machine back, I've not been exploring setup, nor do I mount removable devices very often at all. So I'd be interested to know your thoughts.
mv wrote:
This maybe only on systems with 2 GB or less. But more important than the gained RAM is the gained security: The first exploits for the bloated polkit have already been reported, and you can be sure that this is just the beginning, not even the tip of the iceberg.

Hypnos wrote:
Not to mention complex dependency trees that create work for developers and make it harder to architect and maintain your system.

Thank you both: you've put it much better than I have, and it's reassuring to me to read the opinion of two people I rate so highly, and to see it accords with my own.

Basta. Let's take back our desktops.
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, guys, it is a damn security.
I dislike to have gtk elements at my desktop, so I working on alternate way to mounting and unmounting devices. I added mounting/unmounting options to dolphin context menu for internal harddrives, and right now I'm trying to do it for external drives as well.
If I'll be successful, I'll post it here.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creaker wrote:
I dislike to have gtk elements at my desktop, so I working on alternate way to mounting and unmounting devices.

That seems like an odd choice to me: but it's your desktop, ofc. It did remind me that there was an elog recently (I upgraded KDE late) about oxygen themes in GTK advising use of x11-themes/oxygen-gtk -- did you install that yet?
Quote:
I added mounting/unmounting options to dolphin context menu for internal harddrives,

How did you do that? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but idk how to do it, and it'd be useful to have everything written up on the forums.
I've actually just switched my "File Manager" to Konqueror, as I started it in File Browsing mode the other day, and the difference in terms of how quickly I could get things done was amazing. I always did love Konqui for that, so I'm going back to it.
Quote:
and right now I'm trying to do it for external drives as well.

Excellent.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I can't get rid of akonadi and semantic-desktop with KDE-4.11.2 at all.
kdebase-startkde depends on kdebase-runtime-meta
kdebase-runtime-meta depends on drkonqi
drkonqi depends on kdepimlibs. WHY?
And with kdepimlibs, this thing wants soprano, nepomuk, akonadi-server and kdelibs with enabled semantic-desktop.
Wow.
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't get rid of akonadi and semantic-desktop with KDE-4.11.2 at all

I did it for KDE-4.11.1 (kde without semantic, pim, *kit) few times, I think it can be done for KDE-4.11.2
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creaker wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately I can't get rid of akonadi and semantic-desktop with KDE-4.11.2 at all

I did it for KDE-4.11.1 (kde without semantic, pim, *kit) few times, I think it can be done for KDE-4.11.2
How? There is a hard dependency in the ebuild.

The only solution I can think of would be to mirror kde-base/kdebase-startkde as a set that does not pull in kde-base/kdebase-runtime-meta but another set that does not pull in drkonqi. (Or put the packages in the first set, too.)

However, the frustration goes on:

razorqt-base/razorqt-panel with USE="mount" wants udisks. Okay, this USE flag can be disabled. But:
enlightenment wants e_dbus with udev USE flag, and that pulls in upower and udisks. *sigh* No e17 without these slomo-udisks thing? Seriously, a system without udisks can mount my SanDisk Cruzer micro pendrive in 2 seconds, while udisks fiddles around with it for over half a minute. (Other pendrives work fine though, and I wouldn't by another Cruzer anyway.)
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Here is my patches for ebuilds:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-970574-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html
I did five or six installations and all works just fine. You can try it. Though these patches are for 4.11.1 I think you can create the similar patches for 4.11.2. Of course, you can apply these patches on every emerge --sync. I even wrote a simple script to automate it.

Quote:
razorqt-base/razorqt-panel with USE="mount" wants udisks

I can't say anything about razorqt because I do not use it, but ordinary kde (with ordinary qt) can be built without udisks/udisks2.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creaker wrote:
Though these patches are for 4.11.1 I think you can create the similar patches for 4.11.2.
I have adapted them, and the resulting ebuilds are now available from my overlay ("seden" via layman). Diskussion in the linked thread.
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
creaker wrote:
Quote:

I would consider a hard dependency on something that isn't a actually hard dependency upstream to be a bug, you might want to file a bug report for it.
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
creaker wrote:
I dislike to have gtk elements at my desktop, so I working on alternate way to mounting and unmounting devices.

That seems like an odd choice to me: but it's your desktop, ofc. It did remind me that there was an elog recently (I upgraded KDE late) about oxygen themes in GTK advising use of x11-themes/oxygen-gtk -- did you install that yet?
Quote:
I added mounting/unmounting options to dolphin context menu for internal harddrives,

How did you do that? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but idk how to do it, and it'd be useful to have everything written up on the forums.
I've actually just switched my "File Manager" to Konqueror, as I started it in File Browsing mode the other day, and the difference in terms of how quickly I could get things done was amazing. I always did love Konqui for that, so I'm going back to it.
Quote:
and right now I'm trying to do it for external drives as well.

Excellent.

It seems like it impossible to manage dolphin's context menu "on-the-fly". So, I wrote qt application (like default kde device notifier) as replacement for pmount-gui:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-972762.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: