help needed - keepalive + haproxy
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasenux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: help needed - keepalive + haproxy Reply with quote

Hi all,

Help needed.

I have 5 different circuits, and on each circuit, I have a pair of load balancer (running haproxy 1.4.8 or 1.4.19 + keepalived 1.1.20 or 1.2.2-r3 on Gentoo). 4 pairs out of these 5 work perfectly. Only the fifth pair is not working properly. They all share the same configuration - except of course, the IPs are different.

The fifth pair will work for a bit (30 min to 4 hours) then die. No issues with the other 4 pairs. With the fifth pair, if I just run haproxy, it is fine. They are all VMware guests. The only difference is how they connect to the Internet. The good 4 pairs connect to the Internet via DIA; while the fifth one is behind a IP-IP GRE tunnel (hence MTU is 1476 and the MSS is 1436). When it is not working, I don't even see packets coming to it - I do see packets passing the firewall and heading towards the load balancer. If I restart keepalived again, I will start seeing packets again....

keepalived.conf:
vrrp_script check_haproxy {
script "killall -0 haproxy"
interval 2
weight 2
}

vrrp_instance VI_174 {
interface eth0
state MASTER
virtual_router_id 174
priority 100
advert_int 1
authentication {
auth_type PASS
auth_pass 162163
}

virtual_ipaddress {
a.b.c.174
}

track_script {
check_haproxy
}

}
NewBlackDak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: help needed - keepalive + haproxy Reply with quote

jasenux wrote:
Hi all,

Help needed.

I have 5 different circuits, and on each circuit, I have a pair of load balancer (running haproxy 1.4.8 or 1.4.19 + keepalived 1.1.20 or 1.2.2-r3 on Gentoo). 4 pairs out of these 5 work perfectly. Only the fifth pair is not working properly. They all share the same configuration - except of course, the IPs are different.

The fifth pair will work for a bit (30 min to 4 hours) then die. No issues with the other 4 pairs. With the fifth pair, if I just run haproxy, it is fine. They are all VMware guests. The only difference is how they connect to the Internet. The good 4 pairs connect to the Internet via DIA; while the fifth one is behind a IP-IP GRE tunnel (hence MTU is 1476 and the MSS is 1436). When it is not working, I don't even see packets coming to it - I do see packets passing the firewall and heading towards the load balancer. If I restart keepalived again, I will start seeing packets again....

keepalived.conf:
vrrp_script check_haproxy {
script "killall -0 haproxy"
interval 2
weight 2
}

vrrp_instance VI_174 {
interface eth0
state MASTER
virtual_router_id 174
priority 100
advert_int 1
authentication {
auth_type PASS
auth_pass 162163
}

virtual_ipaddress {
a.b.c.174
}

track_script {
check_haproxy
}

}

Zombie post I know, but we're seeing the same thing with a similar setup.

2 identical vms:
gentoo-sources-3.1.6
keepalived-1.2.2-r3
haproxy-1.4.18-r1
1 vCPU
2 GB RAM

Haproxy just runs forever on both machines. We introduced keepalive after a storage mishap. The site was down for nearly 15 minutes while we rebooted the haproxy box, and waited for fsck. Keepalived runs anywhere from 4 days to around 6 weeks, and dies without any warning. Restarting keepalived brings the site back online immediately. We have resorted to rebooting them on regular intervals. It's not ideal, but we need 99.999% up time for this service, and it's our only workaround at this point.
UltraSparc5 440 - sparcy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: