View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabcor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Xorg -configure gives an error Reply with quote

Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices. Configuration failed.

My logfile goes:

Load Module: nouveau....

Code:
(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(==) ServerLayout "X.org Configured"
(**)  l-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
(**)  l    l-->Monitor "Monitor0"
(**)  l    l-->Device "Card0"
(**)  l-->Input Device "Mouse0"
(**)  l-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
(==) Automtaically adding devices
(==) Automatically enabling devices
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/misc/" does not exist.
Entry deleted from font path.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/" does not exist
Entry deleted from font path.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/OTF/" does not exist.
Entry deleted from font path....
(**) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
(WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or 'vmouse' will be disabled
(WW) Disabling Mouse0
(WW) Disabling Keyboard0
(EE) [drm] No DRICreatePCIBusID symbol
Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
Configuration failed.

My GPU is an MSI 670-GTX, if that helps.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the n-th time... X -configure is outdated and shouldn't be used. It's not needed. If there is a problem, X -configure will not solve it.

You don't need any configuration for nouveau. There's just one thing when it comes to Kepler cards: you need to get some microcode by running the blob and then doing some gymnastics, but I don't know if the microcode is needed just for 3d accel or for getting nouveau running at all.

Question though: Why do you want to use nouveau in the first place? You have a high-end graphic card, makes no sense to buy such a card and then artificially limit yourself by using nouveau.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X -configure is outdated, but mentioned in a lot of documentation floating on the Internet still. So trying to use it is not something you can blame users for.

Verify that "lspci -k" lists nouveau as kernel driver in use and /proc/fb contains nouveaufb. Then you can start your X server without any xorg.conf at all. Read http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml if you need to configure keyboard or monitor layout through /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ snippets.
rabcor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
For the n-th time... X -configure is outdated and shouldn't be used. It's not needed. If there is a problem, X -configure will not solve it.

You don't need any configuration for nouveau. There's just one thing when it comes to Kepler cards: you need to get some microcode by running the blob and then doing some gymnastics, but I don't know if the microcode is needed just for 3d accel or for getting nouveau running at all.

Question though: Why do you want to use nouveau in the first place? You have a high-end graphic card, makes no sense to buy such a card and then artificially limit yourself by using nouveau.

I am doing that because i don't know any better, i'm a noob and i just followed a guide that told me to do that... and googling gentoo and 670gtx... didn't give me any specific guides either, if you would be so kind to give me a guide or tell me what kind of options i should have set my make.conf VIDEO_DEVICES="" and what options i should set in my kernel for a 400-600 series card, i would very highly appreciate it :)

and thanks for telling me X -configure is outdated, i never even knew...

(I never had any problems starting X, that wasn't my problem. i just thought it was better if i could configure it manually like all the guides were telling me to, and when that was failing... but i didn't let that stop me, i've set up a nice, functional kde.)
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teegrins, rabcor!

It has been only about 2 years since I was in the same situation, being more or less confused about the nvidia-xorg-nouveau triangle, so do not worry about it; it's quite normal! We are here to give you directions when in need! I do wish the documentation would be brought to the now soon'ish, as the we don't need no configuration (xorg.conf) move has been up and about for a while now.

Nouveau is of course an option, but the proprietary drivers (nvidia-drivers) usually (if not always) are able to perform better with games and such. If you want a nice and big resolution frame-buffer however, nouveau will likely be able to provide you with a higher resolution.

Only you can decide what you want though, and often it's best to simply try things out before making the decision.

In any case, if you were to go with nvidia instead of nouveau, there are indeed things that are done differently, one of the most important aspect being differences in Kernel configuration.

Here is one guide for that:
For nvidia-drivers, I believe a very minimal xorg.conf is still needed, though the settings suggested in the above guide are still a bit much.
Something like this is often suggested:

Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier "My nVidia"
  Driver     "nvidia"
EndSection

Here's what mine looks like:

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Device0"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        VendorName      "NVIDIA Corporation"
        Option          "Coolbits" "5"
EndSection

Where “Coolbits” enables fan-control and such. I believe the Identifier and perhaps the VendorName as well can be anything, though I could be very wrong. I never actually looked into that yet, hmmm.

I had some more in mind, but I'll hit Submit now since the forum (or my connection to it) is being wonky...
Just some thoughts~
rabcor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somethings up with the servers for sure, Thanks a lot, you were really helpful :)
altho i did manage to mess up somehow and end up somewhere close to (but not quite) here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-934508-start-0.html
But making more mistakes is the fastest way to learning new things thankfully. I just live in the hope that eventually i'll know what i'm doing, instead of just having a rough idea about it. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: