View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbangnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: IS Gnome better dead Reply with quote

Is the Gentoo team leaving Gnome for dead ? Just asking since there isn't much updates on making gnome 3 in the stable release... I mean, when you emerge it, it's still gnome 2 that gets installed. I don't even use it anymore and I do use xfce for my reasons but I just wonder what Gentoo dev's are thinking about the latest gnome release ?
salahx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome is still alive and kicking. Gnome has almost always been at least 1 release behind, even back in the 2.x days. At least some of the reason goes something like this: Gnome 3.0 was buggy, 3.2 better, howeve 3.4 introduced glib 2.32. The recommended way to include glib was just include the top header, rather than the individual header (with some exceptions), in glib 2.18 (which was over 5 years ago) began generating warning this was going away. Support was finally removed in 2.32, forcing apps to do it the new way.

There's a list of stuff holding up the stabilization although i'm not sure how current or accurate it is.

Note that gnome-3.4 requires udisk2, which requires udev-18x, which is still unstable and has been blocked for some time.

It worth knowing that gdk-3.6 deprecates gdk threads (they never worked under Windows) - all gdk/gtk functions should now be invoked via the mainloop.
tetromino
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome in Gentoo is not dead.

3.4 is available in portage for ~amd64/~x86 users. 3.6 is partially in the gnome overlay; for a number of reasons, getting it into portage and unmasked will take a fair bit of work.

As for stabilization: stabilizing 3.0 was never seriously considered (it was a beta-quality release). 3.2 was much better, but gnome-shell-3.2 and gdm-3.2 were still somewhat crash-prone. But 3.4 is IMHO a high-quality release, and we should probably mark it as stable at some point.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: