Authentication Timeout wpa_supplicant with rt2860sta
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
electrojustin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Authentication Timeout wpa_supplicant with rt2860sta Reply with quote

Completely new to Gentoo and trying to use it to make a server out of a relatively old computer. I've got it to boot (no small feat when you only have DVDs and the computer only has a CD-ROM drive), but I've run into a snag trying to set up wpa_supplicant to connect to my network through my wifi card. After initializing the driver, a new interface appears called ra0. I linked net.ra0 to net.lo, configured wpa_supplicant.conf and /etc/conf.d/net to connect to my network, started dhcpcd, and ran /etc/init.d/net.ra0 start and get the following warning:
Code:
WARNING: ra0 has started, but is inactive

Running wpa_cli or dmesg reveals some more errors:
Code:
Association request to the driver failed
Authentication timed out

My chipset is rt2860. Searching the internet reveals a lot of trouble with that chipset and linux, especially with WPA, but I don't exactly have another one lying around. Any advice?
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

electrojustin,

Welcome to gentoo :D

Did you enable the kernel setting RT2800PCI :?:

-> Device Drivers
-> Network device support
-> Wireless LAN
-> Ralink driver support

You can remove the net.ra0 symlink :wink:

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
electrojustin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not, however I did get the driver from the manufacturer's website. Unfortunately, after doing some research it seems it was only meant for Kernels 2.6 and 2.7, nothing newer. In the end I put the wifi card in another box actually running 2.6.32-5 and started searching for another wifi card. Thanks for the help though! Quick question for future reference, what exactly is the symlink for, anyway?
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electrojustin wrote:
I did not, however I did get the driver from the manufacturer's website. Unfortunately, after doing some research it seems it was only meant for Kernels 2.6 and 2.7, nothing newer. In the end I put the wifi card in another box actually running 2.6.32-5 and started searching for another wifi card. Thanks for the help though! Quick question for future reference, what exactly is the symlink for, anyway?

That's because the newer kernels directly support ralink network devices. In short the symlink to net.lo will start any newtork device e.g. eth0, eth1, wlan0 etc.

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: