ntfsclone (or dd) split image dilemma
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anonybosh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: ntfsclone (or dd) split image dilemma Reply with quote

Hi-
So I'm trying to figure out a way to make a gentoo boot disc that can restore split ntfsclone images (ie. ntfsclone -s /dev/hda1 -o - | gzip | split -b 650m - backup.hda1.gz) spanned over several (n < 20) discs (CDs or DVDs).

How can I restore the split image to a drive WITHOUT concatenating all of the separate images onto the hard drive prior to restoring them?
IE. Have ntfsclone start writing the part 1 of the image to disk, and upon reaching the end of that, pause, create a prompt to insert the next disk, start reading disc 2's contents and writing them to disk, and so forth through however many discs there are.

Also, having the same number of CD/DVD drives connected as number of image splits probably isn't an option (sure, one is fine, but what about where there are 10 discs?).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

-Ryan

Edit: So I found a similar question posited here.
It was suggested to try using a FIFO special file as the intermediary that ntfsclone reads from. Any bash scripting gurus out there have any more insight?

Upon further thinking, I can broaden the search to include (or be replaced by) dd.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anonybosh,

Instead of gzip | split you might want tar with the -L option, then you can use tar -x to get a multi disk file back.

You might want to test wilth a small file and a couple of floppies/CDs/pen drives before you do it for real.
I've never needed to use -L in anger.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: