Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Hp Officejet 4500 is failing to print [given up - solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Hp Officejet 4500 is failing to print [given up - solved] Reply with quote

I have an HP Officejet 4500 connected via Ethernet.

I had to manually enter the ip address to get the hplip application to see it. There is no router, just a basic local area network setup by my box. I can scan, but when I try to print a test page I get about 10 pages with JZJZ4♥$ZZ printed in the upper left corner (I cancelled it before more pages where ruined).

Here is how hplip and cups are built:
Code:
net-print/cups-1.6.1  USE="X acl avahi dbus filters gnutls java kerberos pam ssl threads usb zeroconf -debug -python (-selinux) -static-libs -systemd -xinetd" LINGUAS="-ca -es -ja"
net-print/hplip-3.12.9-r1  USE="X hpcups hpijs libnotify parport qt4 scanner snmp -doc -fax -kde -minimal -policykit -static-ppds"

and hp-check only complains about policykit not being installed, which is intentional.

The quarter starts in a few days and I really need to get this working. A USB cable is out of the question because the printer needs to be about 2 meters from the computer and I don't have one long enough.

If you need any more information, please ask. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

EDIT: given the time scale on which I need this to work I have purchased a USB cable and have given up on the network cable. While I cannot confirm that this is the solution to the problem, it seems removing the hpjis use flag may be the correct solution.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.

Last edited by The Doctor on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem recently in Ubuntu when setting up remote printing through Vista - so this might be a bit different from your network. The solution for me was to change the driver used in CUPS (I had the wrong one selected).
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienjon wrote:
I had this problem recently in Ubuntu when setting up remote printing through Vista - so this might be a bit different from your network. The solution for me was to change the driver used in CUPS (I had the wrong one selected).

In hind sight, I do agree that this may well have been the issue, but hplip was properly identifying the model I expected better on the driver matching. After I changed to USB I recompiled hplip with -hpijs and the proper usb driver was selected.

In any case, one new usb cable and 15 pieces of paper and the printer is working. I hesitate to mark this thread as [solved] since I never actually got it to work using Ethernet.

Thank you for the response. I really do appreciate it.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.

Last edited by The Doctor on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
morten.dynamite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an HP Photosmart B109n with the exact same problem.

I solved it by using hpcups instead of hpijs driver the hp-setup tool choose hpijs if both are available.

You can try to recompile hplip with USE="-hpijs" and install the printer with hp-setup.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: