Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Printing multiple pages per page squares result?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Printing multiple pages per page squares result? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm really not sure what is causing this problem or really where to even start with it, so I apologise if I'm posting this in the wrong forum section, or if I don't give enough information.

Basically, only with pdfs so far, when I specify in my print options to print multiple pages to one page, it'll square the amount of pages to print on one page. So, if I wanted to print 4 pages on to one page, I'll end up with 12 pages on one page. If I want 6, I'll get 36. Of course, 1 page per page works fine. When I try to do the same thing in libreoffice with a text file or a presentation file, it works as expected. When I try to do it with a pdf using okular or evince, the result is the squared number of desired pages. I haven't tried other pdf viewers. I'm really stumped as to how this could have happened. I haven't printed in this manner in a number of months, so I have no clue as to when this problem could have started.

I am using CUPS 1.6.1 with the foomatic drivers on a HP LaserJet P1102w printer. I've never been able to get the HP proprietary drivers to work, so I don't think I've got a lot of leeway in this.

Here is the information on the CUPS page:

Code:
Description:   HP LaserJet Professional P1102w
Driver:   HP LaserJet Pro P1102w Foomatic/foo2zjs-z2 (recommended) (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
Connection:   usb://HP/LaserJet%20Professional%20P1102w?serial=000000000Q927PXGPR1a
Defaults:   job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided

The print preview always looks fine for these jobs, but it looks to me that the software is separating it into the number of desired pages per page, and then something else (the printer?) is doing the same thing again. So the result is the square. And often times, parts will be cut off.

It's like, if I wanted this:

Code:
1   2
3   4

I'll get:

Code:
1  2  5  6
3  4  7  8
9  10 13 14
11 12 15 16

I really don't feel I can properly illustrate with words what is going on here, but I don't have a scanner to show it, either. I've long had issues with this printer, but this one really takes the cake.
sgarcia
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I wonder if this is related to the problem I just posted about.

Also with CUPS 1.6.1, if I try to print more than one copy, I get the square of that number. I want to print 2, I get 4, 3 gets me 9, etc. 40 (which is what I was *actually* trying to print) gets me a ream and a canceled job, once I noticed it.

I'm only doing one page per page, but multiple copies.
ruta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, sgarcia. It looks like I upgraded to CUPS 1.6.1 in August, so the timing matches. I rolled back to 1.5.2 and, after deleting my old CUPS preference file, I was able to print everything properly again.

I suppose there's some problem in CUPS 1.6.1, but I still have no idea what it could be. At least I've got a work around for the time being. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: