Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

init_6 wrote:
Add Rotary Interactivity Favor Scheduler patch to sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.{5.7/6.8}
This looks interesting, I think I give RIFS a try.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.4.20 -> sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.4.21
Bump sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.8 -> sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.9
rifs rt vserver removed from sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.9 will be added soon as possible
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

init_6, please add the following line to your kernel-geek.eclass, or at *least* eutils. Otherwise it is not possible to use epatch_user from /etc/portage/bashrc to add custom patches.
~ # grep inherit /usr/portage/eclass/kernel-2.eclass wrote:
inherit eutils toolchain-funcs versionator multilib
I am using two custom patches with my kernels:
  1. jbd2: fix a potential fs corrupting bug in jbd2_mark_journal_empty
  2. libata: disable runtime pm for hotpluggable port
With gentoo-sources those get automatically patched in by placing them into /etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources with /etc/portage/bashrc calling epatch_user like this:
Code:
 ~ # cat /etc/portage/bashrc
post_src_prepare() {
epatch_user
}
But when I try this with geek-sources, preparation ends with:
Code:
>>> Source prepared.
/etc/portage/bashrc: line 3: epatch_user: command not found
The command needs eutils to be inherited by the ebuild or the used eclass.

So, could you add eutils, please?
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
init_6, please add the following line to your kernel-geek.eclass, or at *least* eutils. Otherwise it is not possible to use epatch_user from /etc/portage/bashrc to add custom patches.
~ # grep inherit /usr/portage/eclass/kernel-2.eclass wrote:
inherit eutils toolchain-funcs versionator multilib

I do not like eutils.eclass, kernel-2.eclass. That is why the sys-kernel/geek-sources and kernel-geek.eclass not use them. And btw:
Code:
grep inherit kernel-geek.eclass
to my looks just great!!!

Yamakuzure wrote:
I am using two custom patches with my kernels:
  1. jbd2: fix a potential fs corrupting bug in jbd2_mark_journal_empty
  2. libata: disable runtime pm for hotpluggable port

I have a similar problem with acpi-ec-add-delay-before-write.patch

Yamakuzure wrote:
With gentoo-sources those get automatically patched in by placing them into /etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources with /etc/portage/bashrc calling epatch_user like this:
Code:
 ~ # cat /etc/portage/bashrc
post_src_prepare() {
epatch_user
}

I agree that it is interesting and useful but let's do it our way.

Yamakuzure wrote:
But when I try this with geek-sources, preparation ends with:
Code:
>>> Source prepared.
/etc/portage/bashrc: line 3: epatch_user: command not found
The command needs eutils to be inherited by the ebuild or the used eclass.

Here a few problems. I would not like to use eutils.eclass. But if you look at the current kernel-geek.eclass there is something that I personally do not like.

Code:
   # Fixes
   ApplyPatch "${FILESDIR}/fixes/acpi-ec-add-delay-before-write.patch" "Oops: ACPI: EC: input buffer is not empty, aborting transaction - 2.6.32 regression https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14733#c41";

if [ ${PATCHLEVEL} = 5 ]; then # fix for 3.5 kernel
      ApplyPatch "${FILESDIR}/fixes/lpc_ich_3.5.1.patch" "Oops: lpc_ich: Resource conflict(s) found affecting iTCO_wdt https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44991";
   fi;

if [ ${PATCHLEVEL} = 6 ]; then # fixes for 3.6 kernel
      ApplyPatch "${FILESDIR}/fixes/zram_pagealloc_fix.patch" "zram pagealloc fix http://code.google.com/p/compcache/issues/detail?id=102";
      ApplyPatch "${FILESDIR}/fixes/gpio-ich_share_ownership_of_GPIO_groups_3.6.patch" "gpio-ich: Share ownership of GPIO groups http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=patch;h=4f600ada70beeb1dfe08e11e871bf31015aa0a3d";
      # fix module initialisation https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/32122
      ApplyPatch "${FILESDIR}/fixes/module-symbol-waiting-3.6.patch" "Fix module initialisation https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/32122";
      ApplyPatch "${FILESDIR}/fixes/module-init-wait-3.6.patch" "Fix module initialisation https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/32122";
   fi;

# add gcc 4.7 support for Kconfig and menuconfig
   ApplyPatch "${FILESDIR}/fixes/kernel-33-gcc47-0.patch" "Fix for kernel-3* and gcc47"

I think to move all these ^ fixes to "${FILESDIR}/${PV}/fixes" Separately for each kernel version

Code:
   use ck && if [ ${PATCHLEVEL} = 6 ]; then # CK fixes for 3.6
      ApplyPatch "${FILESDIR}/fixes/Fix boot issue with BFS and linux-3.6.patch" "http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/3.0/3.6/Fix boot issue with BFS and linux-3.6.patch";
   fi;
(cut)
   use zfs && if [ ${PATCHLEVEL} = 6 ]; then # zfs
      ApplyPatch "${FILESDIR}/fixes/zfs_gpl_blk_queue_flush.patch" "Fix FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module zfs.ko uses GPL-only symbol 'blk_queue_flush'"
   fi;

And this ^ move to "${FILESDIR}/${PV}/{ck/zfs}/" So to my would be more correct

And then add something similar to epatch_user from eutils.eclass.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:

Yamakuzure done!

Fixes
Now all fixes from "${FILESDIR}/fixes/*" move to "${FILESDIR}/${PV}/fix/*"

upatch = user patch
upatch like epatch_user… but not entirely :D

Code:
_PATCHDIR="/etc/portage/patches/" # for user patch
if [ -e "${_PATCHDIR}/${CATEGORY}/${PN}/info" ] ; then
   echo
   cat "${_PATCHDIR}/${CATEGORY}/${PN}/info"; # <-- In the file "info" you can add any information which will then be printed to the screen
fi
if [ -e "${_PATCHDIR}/${CATEGORY}/${PN}/patch_list" ] ; then # Like other patchsets is processed file patch_list
   ApplyPatch "${_PATCHDIR}/${CATEGORY}/${PN}/patch_list" "Applying user patches"
else
   ewarn "File ${_PATCHDIR}/${CATEGORY}/${PN}/patch_list not found!"
   ewarn "Try to apply the patches if they are there…"
   for i in `ls ${_PATCHDIR}/${CATEGORY}/${PN}/* | grep '.patch\|.gz\|.bz\|.bz2\|.xz\|.zip\|.Z' 2> /dev/null`; do
      ApplyPatch "${_PATCHDIR}/${CATEGORY}/${PN}/${i}" "Applying user patches"
   done
fi

But the most interesting from this time forward default value of the variable GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER is:

GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER="vserver bfq ck genpatches grsecurity ice imq reiser4 rifs rt bld uksm aufs mageia fedora suse debian pardus pld zfs branding fix upatch";

And the most important order of application patches from "fix" and "upatch" can be changed as well as with all other patches!
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi init_6,

just some feedback:

- It would be nice if the ebuild could *detect* that added Patches are not present in GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER when a user sets their own one in /etc/portage/kernel.conf.
I did not have "fix" and "upatch", so they got ignored without warning on my first try.

- Then your ApplyPatch is wrong: ${i} already holds the full path if you use "ls foo/*". So the result of it currently is:
Code:
 * File /etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources/patch_list not found!
 * Try to apply the patches if they are there…

* Applying user patches
 * Applying fix_ahci.patch ...
 * Patch /etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources//etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources/fix_ahci.patch does not exist.
wc: /etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources//etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources/fix_ahci.patch: No such file or directory
/home/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.8/temp/environment: line 269: [: : integer expression expected
 * Skipping empty patch --> fix_ahci.patch                                                                                                                                                                                                   [ ok ]

* Applying user patches
 * Applying fix_jdb2.patch ...
 * Patch /etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources//etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources/fix_jdb2.patch does not exist.
wc: /etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources//etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources/fix_jdb2.patch: No such file or directory
/home/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.8/temp/environment: line 269: [: : integer expression expected
 * Skipping empty patch --> fix_jdb2.patch                                                                                                                                                                                                   [ ok ]
Oh, and btw.: The automatic patching with user patches is, of course, much much better than adding eutils! ;)

Edith has to add:
I just had a look at your script, and here is proof:
Code:
sed-notebook ~ # for i in `ls /etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources/* | grep '.patch\|.gz\|.bz\|.bz2\|.xz\|.zip\|.Z' 2> /dev/null` \
; do echo "${i}" ; done
/etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources/fix_ahci.patch
/etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources/fix_jdb2.patch
btw, it can be written like this as well: (works with /bin/sh a well)
Code:
 ~ # for i in $(ls /etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources/*.{patch,gz,bz,bz2,xz,zip,Z} 2>/dev/null) \
; do echo "${i}" ; done
/etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources/fix_ahci.patch
/etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources/fix_jdb2.patch

Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before:

Code:
> emerge geek-sources -pv

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.9:3.6.9::init6  USE="aufs bfq branding debian fedora genpatches ice mageia suse symlink uksm zfs -build -ck -deblob -grsecurity -reiser4" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

> ls -1 /etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources/
aufs3-3.6-20121204.patch
aufs3-base-3.6-20121204.patch
aufs3-kbuild-3.6-20121204.patch
aufs3-loopback-3.6-20121204.patch
aufs3-proc_map-3.6-20121204.patch
aufs3-standalone-3.6-20121204.patch
info
patch_list

1 test with patch_list

Code:
 USE="-aufs -bfq -branding -debian -fedora -genpatches -ice -mageia -suse -symlink -uksm -zfs" ebuild geek-sources-3.6.9.ebuild compile
 * linux-3.6.tar.xz SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...                                                               [ ok ]
 * patch-3.6.9.xz SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...                                                                 [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
 * Extract the sources ...                                                                                             [ ok ]

* Update to latest upstream ...
 * Applying patch-3.6.9.xz ...                                                                                         [ ok ]
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.9/work
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.9/work/linux-3.6.9-geek ...
 * The order of patching is defined in file /etc/portage/kernel.conf with the variable GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER is its default value:
 * GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER="vserver bfq ck genpatches grsecurity ice imq reiser4 rifs rt bld uksm aufs mageia fedora suse debian pardus pld zfs branding fix upatch"
 * You are free to choose any order of patching.
 * For example, if you like the alphabetical order of patching you must set the variable:
 * echo 'GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER="aufs bfq bld branding ck fedora fix genpatches grsecurity ice imq mageia pardus pld reiser4 rifs rt suse uksm upatch vserver zfs"' > /etc/portage/kernel.conf
 * Otherwise i will use the default value of GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER!
 * And may the Force be with you…

acpi-ec-add-delay-before-write.patch Oops: ACPI: EC: input buffer is not empty, aborting transaction - 2.6.32 regression https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14733#c41
gpio-ich_share_ownership_of_GPIO_groups_3.6.patch gpio-ich: Share ownership of GPIO groups http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=patch;h=4f600ada70beeb1dfe08e11e871bf31015aa0a3d
fix module initialisation https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/32122
    module-symbol-waiting-3.6.patch
    module-init-wait-3.6.patch

* Fixes for current kernel
 * Applying acpi-ec-add-delay-before-write.patch ...                                                                   [ ok ]
 * Applying gpio-ich_share_ownership_of_GPIO_groups_3.6.patch ...                                                      [ ok ]
 * Applying module-init-wait-3.6.patch ...                                                                             [ ok ]
 * Applying module-symbol-waiting-3.6.patch ...                                                                        [ ok ]

Generated by patch_maker.sh script v-0.4
 Grabbed on 2012-12-04 09:44:49 EET
 url: git://aufs.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/aufs/aufs3-standalone.git
 local branch: master
 tracking branch: refs/heads/master
 tracking remote: origin

* Applying user patches
 * Applying aufs3-3.6-20121204.patch ...                                                                               [ ok ]
 * Applying aufs3-base-3.6-20121204.patch ...                                                                          [ ok ]
 * Applying aufs3-kbuild-3.6-20121204.patch ...                                                                        [ ok ]
 * Applying aufs3-loopback-3.6-20121204.patch ...                                                                      [ ok ]
 * Applying aufs3-proc_map-3.6-20121204.patch ...                                                                      [ ok ]
 * Applying aufs3-standalone-3.6-20121204.patch ...                                                                    [ ok ]

* Live long and prosper.

* Set extraversion in Makefile
 * Copy current config from /proc
 * Kernel config file already exist.
 * I will NOT overwrite that.
 * Cleanup backups after patching
 * Compile gen_init_cpio
make: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.9/work/linux-3.6.9-geek/usr'
cc -march=core2 -O2 -ftree-vectorize -pipe -mstackrealign --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=1024 -mssse3 -mfpmath=sse,387 -mtune=generic -falign-functions=4 -fforce-addr -floop-block -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -fno-ident -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -ftree-loop-distribution -fweb -march=core2 -O2 -ftree-vectorize -pipe -mstackrealign --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=1024 -mssse3 -mfpmath=sse,387 -mtune=generic -falign-functions=4 -fforce-addr -floop-block -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -fno-ident -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -ftree-loop-distribution -fweb -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,--warn-once -Wl,--hash-style=gnu  gen_init_cpio.c   -o gen_init_cpio
make: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.9/work/linux-3.6.9-geek/usr'
 * kernel: >> Running oldconfig... ...                                                                                 [ ok ]
 * kernel: >> Running modules_prepare... ...                                                                           [ ok ]
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.9/work/linux-3.6.9-geek ...
>>> Source configured.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.9/work/linux-3.6.9-geek ...
>>> Source compiled.

2 test auto upatch

Code:
> rm -rf /etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources/patch_list
> rm -rf /etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources/info
> ls -1 /etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/geek-sources/
aufs3-3.6-20121204.patch
aufs3-base-3.6-20121204.patch
aufs3-kbuild-3.6-20121204.patch
aufs3-loopback-3.6-20121204.patch
aufs3-proc_map-3.6-20121204.patch
aufs3-standalone-3.6-20121204.patch
> USE="-aufs -bfq -branding -debian -fedora -genpatches -ice -mageia -suse -symlink -uksm -zfs" ebuild geek-sources-3.6.9.ebuild compile
 * linux-3.6.tar.xz SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...                                                               [ ok ]
 * patch-3.6.9.xz SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...                                                                 [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
 * Extract the sources ...                                                                                             [ ok ]

* Applying patch-3.6.9.xz ...                                                                                         [ ok ]
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.9/work/linux-3.6.9-geek ...
 * The order of patching is defined in file /etc/portage/kernel.conf with the variable GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER is its default value:
 * GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER="vserver bfq ck genpatches grsecurity ice imq reiser4 rifs rt bld uksm aufs mageia fedora suse debian pardus pld zfs branding fix upatch"
 * For example, if you like the alphabetical order of patching you must set the variable:
 * echo 'GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER="aufs bfq bld branding ck fedora fix genpatches grsecurity ice imq mageia pardus pld reiser4 rifs rt suse uksm upatch vserver zfs"' > /etc/portage/kernel.conf

acpi-ec-add-delay-before-write.patch Oops: ACPI: EC: input buffer is not empty, aborting transaction - 2.6.32 regression https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14733#c41
gpio-ich_share_ownership_of_GPIO_groups_3.6.patch gpio-ich: Share ownership of GPIO groups http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=patch;h=4f600ada70beeb1dfe08e11e871bf31015aa0a3d

* Applying acpi-ec-add-delay-before-write.patch ...                                                                   [ ok ]
 * Applying gpio-ich_share_ownership_of_GPIO_groups_3.6.patch ...                                                      [ ok ]
 * Applying module-init-wait-3.6.patch ...                                                                             [ ok ]
 * Applying module-symbol-waiting-3.6.patch ...                                                                        [ ok ]

* Applying user patches
 * Applying aufs3-3.6-20121204.patch ...                                                                               [ ok ]

* Applying user patches
 * Applying aufs3-base-3.6-20121204.patch ...                                                                          [ ok ]

* Applying user patches
 * Applying aufs3-kbuild-3.6-20121204.patch ...                                                                        [ ok ]

* Applying user patches
 * Applying aufs3-loopback-3.6-20121204.patch ...                                                                      [ ok ]

* Applying user patches
 * Applying aufs3-proc_map-3.6-20121204.patch ...                                                                      [ ok ]

* Applying user patches
 * Applying aufs3-standalone-3.6-20121204.patch ...                                                                    [ ok ]

* Live long and prosper.

* Compile gen_init_cpio
make: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.9/work/linux-3.6.9-geek/usr'
cc -march=core2 -O2 -ftree-vectorize -pipe -mstackrealign --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=1024 -mssse3 -mfpmath=sse,387 -mtune=generic -falign-functions=4 -fforce-addr -floop-block -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -fno-ident -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -ftree-loop-distribution -fweb -march=core2 -O2 -ftree-vectorize -pipe -mstackrealign --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=1024 -mssse3 -mfpmath=sse,387 -mtune=generic -falign-functions=4 -fforce-addr -floop-block -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -fno-ident -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -ftree-loop-distribution -fweb -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,--warn-once -Wl,--hash-style=gnu  gen_init_cpio.c   -o gen_init_cpio
make: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.9/work/linux-3.6.9-geek/usr'
 * kernel: >> Running oldconfig... ...                                                                                 [ ok ]
 * kernel: >> Running modules_prepare... ...                                                                           [ ok ]
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.9/work/linux-3.6.9-geek ...
>>> Source configured.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.9/work/linux-3.6.9-geek ...
>>> Source compiled.

Next test default value GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER="vserver bfq ck genpatches grsecurity ice imq reiser4 rifs rt bld uksm aufs mageia fedora suse debian pardus pld zfs branding fix upatch" from /etc/portage/kernel.conf

Code:
> cat /etc/portage/kernel.conf
GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER="vserver bfq ck genpatches grsecurity ice imq reiser4 rifs rt bld uksm aufs mageia fedora suse debian pardus pld zfs branding fix upatch"

> USE="-aufs -bfq -branding -debian -fedora -genpatches -ice -mageia -suse -symlink -uksm -zfs" ebuild geek-sources-3.6.9.ebuild compile
>>> Unpacking source...

* Use GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER="vserver bfq ck genpatches grsecurity ice imq reiser4 rifs rt bld uksm aufs mageia fedora suse debian pardus pld zfs branding fix upatch" from /etc/portage/kernel.conf

* Applying user patches

* Applying user patches

* Applying user patches

* Applying user patches

* Applying user patches

* Applying user patches

* Live long and prosper.

* Compile gen_init_cpio
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Source configured.
>>> Source compiled.

Last test short GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER="ice imq reiser4 rifs rt bld uksm aufs mageia fedora suse" from /etc/portage/kernel.conf

Code:
> cat /etc/portage/kernel.conf
GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER="ice imq reiser4 rifs rt bld uksm aufs mageia fedora suse"
>>> Unpacking source...

* Not all USE flag present in GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER from /etc/portage/kernel.conf
 * Probably that's the plan. In that case, never mind.

* Live long and prosper.

* Compile gen_init_cpio
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Source configured.
>>> Source compiled.

I do not see any problem.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

init_6, thanks for fixing - and finally pushing to branch master. ;) It works right out of the box! *yay* :D
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
init_6, thanks for fixing - and finally pushing to branch master. ;) It works right out of the box! *yay* :D

To my fine too :)
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.7.0 is out! Reply with quote

Delete sys-kernel/geek-sources-{3.4.23,3.6.8}
Bump sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.9 -> sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.6.10

sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.7.0 is out!
ck, grsecurity, reiser4, rt, uksm It is currently not available under 3.7.0
All missing patches will be added as they become available ;) stay tuned.
And almost all patchset from rc.

Any help, patches are welcome.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi init6,

for the ck patches the stable version of app-arch/lrzip, version 0.44, is too old:
Code:
 # lrunzip patch-3.6-ck1.lrz
Output filename is: patch-3.6-ck1...Decompressing...
Attempting to work with file produced by newer lrzip version 0.6 file.
Decompressing...Unexpected initial c_len 12950204161 in streams 844425265676288
Fatal error - exiting
Unfortunately the ebuild states that the patch is applied correctly 8O - but the boot patch is then skipped. (kernel/sched/bfs.c is missing, so of course the fix can't be applied.)

I have updated to app-arch/lrzip-0.614 and now the result is:
Code:
 # lrunzip patch-3.6-ck1.lrz
Output filename is: patch-3.6-ck1
Decompressing...
100%     249.11 /    249.11 KB  1:100%  2:100% 
Average DeCompression Speed:  0.000MB/s
Output filename is: patch-3.6-ck1: [OK] - 255087 bytes                               
Total time: 00:00:01.11
You might want to add a dependency to >=app-arch/lrzip-0.614 if USE="ck" is set. ;)
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the Processor Family list in make menuconfig is much longer when I use geek-sources than with any other kernel. I'm told this is because my 64-bit CPU is not being autodetected with geek-sources and 32-bit is assumed. Is this correct? How can I inform geek-sources of my 64-bit CPU?
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant123 wrote:
I noticed the Processor Family list in make menuconfig is much longer when I use geek-sources than with any other kernel. I'm told this is because my 64-bit CPU is not being autodetected with geek-sources and 32-bit is assumed. Is this correct? How can I inform geek-sources of my 64-bit CPU?

there are not any 32-bit or 64-bit CPU! If you ask about this kernel-37-gcc47-1.patch then this patch just enable more gcc CPU optimizatons.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, is that patch applied by all versions of geek-sources regardless of which USE flags are enabled?

Will that patch be merged with the mainline kernel?
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant123 wrote:
OK, is that patch applied by all versions of geek-sources regardless of which USE flags are enabled?

They apply only to 3.{6/7} kernel regardless of the USE flags like all other patches from fix patch_list info

If you need to disable all patches from fix - delete fix from variable GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER which should be located in the file /etc/portage/kernel.conf… More? Read ebuilds output.

grant123 wrote:
Will that patch be merged with the mainline kernel?

Originals over there kernel-36-gcc47-1.patch.gz kernel-37-gcc47-1.patch.gz patch.gz some reason, was not processed properly by eclass… In patches specified authorship. I think it is better to ask the author.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, thank you for the explanation.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey init6, I just saw that uksm made it into 3.7.1. Good job! 8)
_______0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:

What does uksm do?
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_______0 wrote:
Yamakuzure wrote:

What does uksm do?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEzMTI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_SamePage_Merging_(KSM)

so e.g. if you're running firefox or chromium with hundreds of tabs at a time - that should save you several two-digit or even hundreds of megabytes of RAM

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
_______0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a patch for gentoo-sources ?
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

_______0 wrote:
is there a patch for gentoo-sources ?

If you want sys-kernel/gentoo-sources try USE="genpatches" emerge sys-kernel/geek-sources.
If you want sys-kernel/hardened-sources try USE="grsecurity" emerge sys-kernel/geek-sources.
And yes you are free to apply any patch from sys-kernel/geek-sources even for sys-kernel/vanilla-sources.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.7.1 +reiser4 +zen

And now sys-kernel/geek-sources have a wiki!

Code:
# USE="reiser4 zen" ebuild geek-sources-3.7.1.ebuild compile
 * linux-3.7.tar.xz SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...                                                               [ ok ]
 * patch-3.7.1.xz SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...                                                                 [ ok ]
 * reiser4-for-3.7.1.patch.gz SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...                                                     [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...

* Applying patch-3.7.1.xz ...                                                                                         [ ok ]
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.7.1/work
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.7.1/work/linux-3.7.1-geek ...
 * GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER="vserver bfq ck genpatches grsecurity ice imq reiser4 rifs rt bld uksm aufs mageia fedora suse debian pardus pld zen zfs branding fix upatch"
 * echo 'GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER="aufs bfq bld branding ck fedora fix genpatches grsecurity ice imq mageia pardus pld reiser4 rifs rt suse uksm upatch vserver zen zfs"' > /etc/portage/kernel.conf

* Reiser4 - http://sourceforge.net/projects/reiser4
 * Applying reiser4-for-3.7.1.patch.gz ...                                                                             [ ok ]

* zen-kernel - https://github.com/damentz/zen-kernel
 * Applying adbsyn-3.7.patch ...                                                                                       [ ok ]
 * Applying aufs-3.7.patch ...                                                                                         [ ok ]
 * Applying bfq-3.7.patch ...                                                                                          [ ok ]
 * Applying btrfs-lz4-3.7.patch ...                                                                                    [ ok ]
 * Applying cko-3.7.patch ...                                                                                          [ ok ]
 * Applying firmware-3.7.patch ...                                                                                     [ ok ]
 * Applying layer7-3.7.patch ...                                                                                       [ ok ]
 * Applying march-native-3.7.patch ...                                                                                 [ ok ]
 * Applying misc-3.7.patch ...
 * Skipping patch --> misc-3.7.patch                                                                                   [ ok ]
 * Applying nr-tty-3.7.patch ...                                                                                       [ ok ]
 * Applying psx2usb-3.7.patch ...                                                                                      [ ok ]
 * Applying tp_smapi-3.7.patch ...                                                                                     [ ok ]
 * Applying uksm-3.7.patch ...                                                                                         [ ok ]
 * Applying ureadahead-3.7.patch ...                                                                                   [ ok ]
 * Applying vhba-3.7.patch ...                                                                                         [ ok ]
 * Applying yeah-3.7.patch ...                                                                                         [ ok ]
 * Applying zen-logo-3.7.patch ...                                                                                     [ ok ]
 * Applying zen-tag-3.7.patch ...                                                                                      [ ok ]
 * Applying zen-tune-3.7.patch ...                                                                                     [ ok ]
 * Applying upstream-updates-3.7.patch ...
 * Skipping patch --> upstream-updates-3.7.patch                                                                       [ ok ]

nouveau_therm_alarms-3.7.patch thx ROKO__! from https://gitorious.org/linux-nouveau-pm/linux-nouveau-pm/commits/thermal
3.7.0-Fix-DVB-ioctls-failing-if-frontend-open-closed-too-fast.patch fix dvb issues see: http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=1108.0
3.7.0-fat.patch fix cosmetic fat issue https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/32916
3.7.1-watchdog-fix-disable-enable-regression.patch fix watchdog enable/disable regression https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/33095
kernel-37-gcc47-1.patch.gz Patch source to enable more gcc CPU optimizatons via the make nconfig http://repo-ck.com/source/gcc_patch/kernel-37-gcc47-1.patch.gz

* Applying nouveau_therm_alarms-3.7.patch ...                                                                         [ ok ]
 * Applying 3.7.0-fat.patch ...                                                                                        [ ok ]
 * Applying 3.7.0-Fix-DVB-ioctls-failing-if-frontend-open-closed-too-fast.patch ...                                    [ ok ]
 * Applying 3.7.1-watchdog-fix-disable-enable-regression.patch ...                                                     [ ok ]
 * Applying kernel-37-gcc47-1.patch.gz ...                                                                             [ ok ]

* Live long and prosper.

* Compile gen_init_cpio
make: Вход в каталог `/var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.7.1/work/linux-3.7.1-geek/usr'
make: Выход из каталога `/var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.7.1/work/linux-3.7.1-geek/usr'
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.7.1/work/linux-3.7.1-geek ...
>>> Source configured.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.7.1/work/linux-3.7.1-geek ...
>>> Source compiled.

PS: cko-3.7.patch from zen almost the same as linux-3.6.6-colored-printk.patch from branding.
looks like upstream-updates-3.7.patch from zen not needed because - patch-3.7.1.xz.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi init_6,

I am currently trying to get the 3.7.2 kernel to not break suspension on my laptop. It doesn't fully suspend and I have to power it down hard. I bet it is just a configuration problem of mine.

However, I just saw this message from your ebuild:
Code:
 * Use GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER="aufs rifs uksm genpatches ice ck debian mageia fedora suse bfq bld branding grsecurity imq pardus pld reiser4 rt vserver zfs fix upatch" from /etc/portage/kernel.conf
 * Not all USE flag present in GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER from /etc/portage/kernel.conf
Could you add a list of flags that are missing from the user defined GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER, please? Something like: "The following flags are missing: foo, bar" and a hint what will happen with them? Applied in the default position? Applied last? Ignored?

In the above case "zen" was missing, but I had to go through "KNOWN_FEATURES" from your eclass item by item to find out what's missing.

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work!
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Hi init_6,

I am currently trying to get the 3.7.2 kernel to not break suspension on my laptop. It doesn't fully suspend and I have to power it down hard. I bet it is just a configuration problem of mine.

However, I just saw this message from your ebuild:
Code:
 * Use GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER="aufs rifs uksm genpatches ice ck debian mageia fedora suse bfq bld branding grsecurity imq pardus pld reiser4 rt vserver zfs fix upatch" from /etc/portage/kernel.conf
Could you add a list of flags that are missing from the user defined GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER, please? Something like: "The following flags are missing: foo, bar" and a hint what will happen with them? Applied in the default position? Applied last? Ignored?

In the above case "zen" was missing, but I had to go through "KNOWN_FEATURES" from your eclass item by item to find out what's missing.

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work!

Yamakuzure please update overlay and check.

Works for me with same variables:

Code:
 * The following flags are missing: zen
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

init_6 wrote:
Yamakuzure please update overlay and check.

Works for me with same variables:

Code:
 * The following flags are missing: zen
Aw yeah! That's nice:
Code:
 * Use GEEKSOURCES_PATCHING_ORDER="genpatches uksm" from /etc/portage/kernel.conf
 * The following flags are missing: pld zen bfq vserver upatch grsecurity imq fix zfs pardus bld rt suse rifs reiser4 ice branding fedora mageia aufs ck debian
Thank you! That is what I wanted! :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: