View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

init6, it works very well so far. I have just one little request: Could you *please* keyword your packages in your overlay? I had to add
Code:
 # grep init6 /etc/portage/package.mask
sys-devel/binutils-config::init6
app-portage/gentoolkit::init6
to my /etc/portage/package.mask to stop the system going haywire.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
init6, it works very well so far. I have just one little request: Could you *please* keyword your packages in your overlay? I had to add
Code:
 # grep init6 /etc/portage/package.mask
sys-devel/binutils-config::init6
app-portage/gentoolkit::init6
to my /etc/portage/package.mask to stop the system going haywire.

app-admin/perl-cleaner,app-admin/python-updater, app-portage/gentoolkit, sys-devel/gcc-config, sys-devel/binutils-config == my fix of bug #373219
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump sys-kernel/geek-sources-{3.2.50,3.4.61,3.10.11,3.11} -> sys-kernel/geek-sources-{3.2.51,3.4.62,3.10.12,3.11.1}
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.11.1 looks good so far! Thanks alot!
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
3.11.1 looks good so far! Thanks alot!

To me 3.11.1 looks not so good. =x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-325.15 and =net-wireless/broadcom-sta-6.30.223.141 not work with USE="grsec". Now i switch to a fully open system - nouveau + b43.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add support for the 2.6.* kernel to sys-kernel/geek-sources
Add some new USE flags: exfat(from zen), rifs, rsbac, ubuntu

PS: In 3.11.4 still no grsec :(
Maitreya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent init6 profile doesn't allow me to compile on non gold toolchains
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maitreya wrote:
Recent init6 profile doesn't allow me to compile on non gold toolchains

init6 profile uses an graphite optimization! But who forbids you to override CFLAGS via /etc/portage/make.conf or make your own profile ?
Maitreya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing and thank you, I did not notice as my other install does use graphite.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

init_6, why do you have such things as profiles and sets in the overlay? The sets regularly create conflicts on my systems. And the profile you have in there is, well, dangerous. I truly believe such things belong into your own /etc/portage/{profile,sets} directories.

Next I have another plea: Could you please, please change your ebuild/eclasses so that they do not
  1. Remove .config from old source directories and
  2. at least make it optional to use "make silentoldconfig"?
Both behaviors are extremely annoying! Everytime I have to copy /proc/config.gz back to the old directory and then copy it to the new to actually do an interactive "make oldconfig" because I do not want default options everywhere per se.

Thank you very much!
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
init_6, why do you have such things as profiles and sets in the overlay? The sets regularly create conflicts on my systems. And the profile you have in there is, well, dangerous. I truly believe such things belong into your own /etc/portage/{profile,sets} directories.

Next I have another plea: Could you please, please change your ebuild/eclasses so that they do not
  1. Remove .config from old source directories and
  2. at least make it optional to use "make silentoldconfig"?
Both behaviors are extremely annoying! Everytime I have to copy /proc/config.gz back to the old directory and then copy it to the new to actually do an interactive "make oldconfig" because I do not want default options everywhere per se.

Thank you very much!

About profiles. I want to split it into normal and normal+graphite. In general, they may still not be ready for all. That is why there is a overlay dir. Using symbolic links manage all of this is possible even easier.

About .config. And we can only create it or not. Eclass-es automatically create it itself because the normal work of many USE flags otherwise is simply impossible(for example spl, zfs). Accordingly /usr/src/linux/.config as part of a package sys-kernel/geek-sources and removed automatically by portage.

And yes I'm lazy. I have almost the same config migrated from version to version.

And in general any change in sys-kernel/geek-sources and/or eclass-es are welcome if any new features will be possible to disable it.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

init_6 wrote:
About .config. And we can only create it or not. Eclass-es automatically create it itself because the normal work of many USE flags otherwise is simply impossible(for example spl, zfs).
Okay, got that. Could a USE Flag be possible to set whether to use oldconfig or silentoldconfig?
init_6 wrote:
Accordingly /usr/src/linux/.config as part of a package sys-kernel/geek-sources and removed automatically by portage.
That's a bug. /usr/src/linux can only be part of the PKG if it creates the symlink. So with USE="-symlink" the path does not belong to the package. It seems like if the symlink must not be set by the package due to USE="-symlink", then /usr/src/linux must be CONFIG_PROTECTed like described here: http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/config-protect/index.html
init_6 wrote:
And in general any change in sys-kernel/geek-sources and/or eclass-es are welcome if any new features will be possible to disable it.
Maybe I can look into it, but no promises can be made as I am rather busy at the moment. I was a week off work due to sickness and have to catch up now. *sigh*
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Okay, got that. Could a USE Flag be possible to set whether to use oldconfig or silentoldconfig?

Yep. Why not? Only need a new switcher settings for oldconfig or silentoldconfig.

Yamakuzure wrote:
That's a bug. /usr/src/linux can only be part of the PKG if it creates the symlink. So with USE="-symlink" the path does not belong to the package. It seems like if the symlink must not be set by the package due to USE="-symlink", then /usr/src/linux must be CONFIG_PROTECTed like described here: http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/config-protect/index.html

For my that`s not a bug! USE="symlink" only set symlink to /usr/src/linux-<version>-geek. As i say now /usr/src/linux-<version>-geek/.config is part of a package sys-kernel/geek-sources. So when the =geek-sources-<version> is removed then disappears and the /usr/src/linux-<version>-geek/.config. And USE="symlink" there is absolutely not to blame.

If seeks to a other behavior then /usr/src/linux-<version>-geek/.config must be removed from =geek-sources-<version>. And then every time to do by hand:

Code:
cd /usr/src/linux-<version>-geek
zcat /proc/config.gz .config
make oldconfig

???

No really thanks. But I do not need this "feature".
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a bit of a misunderstanding here.

I have installed:
sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.11.5

/usr src looks like this:

linux -> /usr/src/linux-3.11.5-geek
linux-3.11.5-geek

I am using USE="-symlink", alright?

If I now emerge sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.11.6, it installs into /usr/src/linux-3.11.6-geek, correct?

So where is the rationale to delete /usr/src/linux-3.11.5-geek/.config ? That package is not removed. It is still there but has no .config file any more, a config file that is user-edited. And the new package does _not_ own neither /usr/src/linux/.config nor any other outside it's own target directory:
Code:
 ~ $ grep "\.config" /var/db/pkg/sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.11.6/CONTENTS
obj /usr/src/linux-3.11.6-geek/.config 06f80f72e692507a782b5c734125bf6d 1382436116
obj /usr/src/linux-3.11.6-geek/arch/x86/configs/kvm_guest.config 0d611516263fe8dfa30e6090ef392b79 1378154770
obj /usr/src/linux-3.11.6-geek/.config.old ea97404255ec2a11e7d24778c3dfd08f 1382436113

Conclusion: Bug!
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
If I now emerge sys-kernel/geek-sources-3.11.6, it installs into /usr/src/linux-3.11.6-geek, correct?

Yep.

Yamakuzure wrote:
So where is the rationale to delete /usr/src/linux-3.11.5-geek/.config ?

geek-sources does not remove /usr/src/linux-<version>-geek/.config ! We just create it.

Yamakuzure wrote:
Conclusion: Bug!

If so then I still do not know where to fix it.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just leave this here.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very sorry to hear this. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to eventually find a permanent job soon!
And thank you, too!
Maitreya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the work you have done. I really enjoyed using the geek-sources. But I guess we'll have to switch back to patching ourselves.
Unless you find a machine to work on (and probably more importantly, motivation)
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure, Maitreya Thank you!

And if any of you want to continue working on the overlay leave your github nickname in the topic.
emc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@init6:
Hi,
Can you explain me why if I'm running geek-3.10.17 but:
Code:
$ uname -r
3.10.1-geek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emc wrote:
@init6:
Hi,
Can you explain me why if I'm running geek-3.10.17 but:
Code:
$ uname -r
3.10.1-geek

0) There is no any 3.10.17!

1) USE="lqx" or USE="pf" or USE="ubuntu" or USE="zen" DISABLE update to latest upstream kernel patch. Because they --> USE="lqx pf rh ubuntu zen" already contain it! Surprise!!! And you had to just simply carefully read wiki.
emc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

init_6 wrote:

0) There is no any 3.10.17!

1) USE="lqx" or USE="pf" or USE="ubuntu" or USE="zen" DISABLE update to latest upstream kernel patch. Because they --> USE="lqx pf rh ubuntu zen" already contain it! Surprise!!! And you had to just simply carefully read wiki.

0) But it was, didn't update yet:
Code:
emc@gopher ~ $ ls -l /usr/src/                                                                                                                                           
total 32
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   18 Oct 29 21:05 linux -> linux-3.10.17-geek
drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 4096 Nov 10 00:02 linux-3.10.17-geek
drwxrwxr-x 21 root root 4096 Sep 14 18:18 linux-3.10.9-geek
drwxr-xr-x 22 root root 4096 Oct 26 00:22 linux-3.11.2-geek
drwxr-xr-x 26 root root 4096 Nov  9 23:52 linux-3.11.7-geek
drwxr-xr-x  8 root root 4096 Nov  9 23:52 linux-3.11.7-geek-patches
drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 4096 Jul  6 22:59 linux-3.9.4-pf

1)I use USE:
Code:
emc@gopher ~ $ grep geek /etc/portage/package.use
sys-kernel/geek-sources aufs pf gentoo brand bld optimization cjktty
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emc wrote:
1)I use USE:
Code:
emc@gopher ~ $ grep geek /etc/portage/package.use
sys-kernel/geek-sources aufs pf gentoo brand bld optimization cjktty
Some patch sets let the stable queue (the vanilla kernel patches) be skipped, because they already include these patches. These are lqx, pf, rh, ubuntu and zen. I do not know about rh, but lqx and pf skip the naming, too. So while you have the correct version, "uname" reports a lesser version.
(I almost went nuts when I tried out lqx and uname kept telling me I hadn't updated the kernel at all...)
Maitreya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick way to ensure no version mismatch/wrongly naming of versions, you can edit the Makefile just after emerging the kernel and adjust the versioning in there to match the geek-sources numbering.
Eregus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 questions

- What's the difference between USE="pf" and USE="bfq ck ice ukms"? Which way is better?
- I noticed I've got 2 folder in /usr/src: linux-3.12.1-geek and linux-3.12.1-geek-patches. Why is that?
- After I emerged linux-3.12.1-geek I have two kernels & intramfses in /boot: *-genkernel-x86_64-3.12.2-geek-gnu and *-genkernel-x86_64-3.12.2-geek-gnu3.12.2-geek. Again, why is that?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: