View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeygirl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Firefox weird rendering with latest world update Reply with quote

I only know of one other person having this issue, but I'm posting this anyway because I couldn't find any suggestions to fix this online.

After the latest world deep update my firefox text started to render wonky fonts like the following screencap http://www.m5b.org/ss/ffrenderbug4.png I fixed this (perhaps with a bandaid) by changing gfx.xrender.enabled to false in about:config

If there is a better fix, I would appreciate if someone would share; likewise, hope this info helps if there isn't.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What graphics hardware do you have?
I see some strange corruption issue with font rendering on Intel graphics which is fixed by using a newer driver...
Not sure if this is the same problem you have but not enough data to tell...
monkeygirl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netbook specs:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Latest (stable) driver installed: x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel [2.19.0]

Does the fix lie in switching to ~2.20.+?

For the record, the update only affected text rendering in Firefox. My graphics and fonts work fine on all other applications including other browsers like Opera.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problems in gnome-terminal and some other application, probably firefox too, and it was very sporadic. Having gnome-terminal break was the dealbreaker. This was also in a i945gm netbook too :) (asus eeepc, problem intel driver was 2.17 or 2.19, I forgot what version.). I did not, however, have this problem with my ivybridge laptop
It's worth a try. I ended up using ~x86 - 2.20.3 which seemed to fix the problem for me.
monkeygirl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice, I updated my driver to 2.20.5, but unfortunately this did not fix anything. I believe my issue is an isolated issue with firefox, but I don't use gnome for a DE so that may be why I'm not having issues with KDE and my QT-based gui apps.

Thus far the only solution that works is disabling the gfx.xrender.enabled option in firefox. That said, while this fixes the font rendering issue, it looks like it's causing awkward transitions wherein the windows go black when smaller windows like a download manager pop-up (due to lack of transparency compositing???)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: